Barging About Britain

Sarahr

Featured Posts

Snip ...... My guess is that he just turned up at the various places to do his bit.

When he turned up in Stoke Bruerne he was away in his taxi just as quickly as he could be - IIRC before the boat he was on had moored. The program is low level family entertainment for a Friday night and would never satisfy those on this forum - it was never meant to IMHO.

When he turned up in Stoke Bruerne he was away in his taxi just as quickly as he could be - IIRC before the boat he was on had moored. The program is low level family entertainment for a Friday night and would never satisfy those on this forum - it was never meant to IMHO.

My take on it when I read the preview and watched the trailer was that it would generate enough interest in families for them to take a canal boat holiday.

Unfortunately missing out the most scenic and best bits of the L&L scuppered that theory pretty sharpish.

An opportunity very much missed in my book.

Somehow I found it rather bland and disappointing too, although 20+ minutes is never going to be enough to do justice to 127 miles of what is clearly a very historic canal. I think Tony Robinson only covered Liverpool to Wigan in a longer program.

I've never been to Liverpool or Wigan (and come to that I only spent under an hour in Manchester on my one midnight visit in 1976), but one day when I've got a boat I expect I'll go and have a proper look around. Lancashire to me is an undiscovered world, only ever seen on TV and film. One day I want to visit Oswaldtwistle, just because I like the name.

It's occurred to me that the programme might not be intended for a bunch of nitpicking canal enthusiasts.

Now wasn't someone using the parallel socket of a windlass on a taper spindle?

That was my point earlier. If it was to appeal to a much wider audience it was a fail too, by virtue of the very best bits it missed.

Edited by MJG

Poor quality narrative. He speaks like he's reading the back of a cereal packet.

Speaks to a local expert and starts off by telling the expert the stuff the expert is supposed to telling him.

Poor quality production throughout. Turned off after 15 mins as the adbreaks were more interesting than the programme.

Portaloo is much better at this sort of thing.

Watched with my daughter . When I started moaning about certain content I was told this. The more the canals are in the limelight the more interest and money will be invested in them.

I think your daughter makes a very good point.

That was my point earlier. If it was to appeal to a much wider audience it was a fail too, by virtue of the very best bits it missed.

Maybe, but newcomers to the canal probably don't relate to what interests us. Bingley Five Rise could be a real turn off for a novice that knows little about locks apart from them being complicated and heavy.

As a canal anorak I was really interested and excited about this program,

I found it a bit boring but that's probably because I'm a anorak like most of us on here, if it was intended to raise awareness of the canal network and increase visitors and cash then bring it on!

I too noticed that the bow on the first few scenes changed from a boring looking flat shape to a lovely looking sculptured one, then to a black prince boat lol

I'm looking forward to the Langollen episode probably because it's local to me

In my opinion any tv programmes that give my passion and love of life the airtime and exposure they rightly deserve is fantastic viewing albeit a bit boring and cringeworthy but I can deal with that.

Nik

Boat changed from a Shire Cruiser to a Black Prince and he didn't appear to notice. captain.gif

Yeah, he changed boat more often than he changed his shirt. lol

I thought first it was too short, and then, they just skirted around the whole boating theme. He may as well have done the prog from a van. Also, from an entertainment element, why was all the content about wool and cotton. !! frusty.gif