Enclosing forward deck

Neil Coker

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

My little 35 ft boat was changed by a previous owner exactly as OP is describing.

The conversion maintains the original water tank, allows for a permanent double bed and front emergency exit.

Now I'm not normally easily bruised nor a shrinking violet, but I love my little boat and consider it very characterful

However as they are apparently ............

- it would look clumsy and horrible

- Looked awful.

- not particularly good looking.

- be concerned about ability to sell

- Ugly..ugly....ugly

- is fugly, fugly, fugly.

I don't feel in the mood to put it up for comment at the moment. In fact if anyone said anything like the above about it I'd probably cry you bunch of rotten swine. As it happens I don't like Clone Craft nor Washer Joshersangry.png

Oh sod it! I can't keep a straight face any longer.

IMG_1739.jpg

Here's the ugliest little cheeky boat on the cut, not taking herself at all seriously. Built 1969 and still chugging along on her original SR2.

Don't worry about turning your nose up at her, she knows her worth to me. wub.png

• Greenie 1

A couple of thoughts here:

• We spend a lot of time on the Thames, where lockkeepers often do the 'work' for you. Having an open bow deck has been very useful when we enter a lock because it means Karen can stand out there and get a rope over a bollard the minute I stop the boat, and I can do the same at the stern. If there are other boats in the lock (such as £300k+ plastic cruisers) , it is a VERY wise move to have good control over your narrowboat at both ends! Not sure this will be relevent to your circumstances
  • If you are essentially re-fittng your boat out, you may be able to build in a small 'vanity closet' (decorated in an appropriate style, with a modern porta potti, framed prints, small library, ...) against the forward bulkhead and still retain a door to the bow deck to one side?
  • If you were resigned to blocking off forward access (but having a side window hatch as a safety exit) you could centre the bed against the forward bulkhead and have free access at either side of it. I've seen some really nice versions of this.

Ultimately I really like our open bow deck. We sit out there in the sun, in the lee of a wind on a blustery day. It's easy to get on and off (with its partially raised deck). We can stand two bicycles there, to one side, when cruising (they're locked to a fencepost or tree otherwise). And the deck balances the look the (53-foot) boat.

Ultimately I really like our open bow deck. We sit out there in the sun, in the lee of a wind on a blustery day. It's easy to get on and off (with its partially raised deck). We can stand two bicycles there, to one side, when cruising (they're locked to a fencepost or tree otherwise). And the deck balances the look the (53-foot) boat.

That is why we went for a tug deck, would be a boring old world if we were all the same.boat.gif

• Greenie 1

My little 35 ft boat was changed by a previous owner exactly as OP is describing.

The conversion maintains the original water tank, allows for a permanent double bed and front emergency exit.

Now I'm not normally easily bruised nor a shrinking violet, but I love my little boat and consider it very characterful

However as they are apparently ............

- it would look clumsy and horrible

- Looked awful.

- not particularly good looking.

- be concerned about ability to sell

- Ugly..ugly....ugly

- is fugly, fugly, fugly.

I don't feel in the mood to put it up for comment at the moment. In fact if anyone said anything like the above about it I'd probably cry you bunch of rotten swine. As it happens I don't like Clone Craft nor Washer Joshersangry.png

Oh sod it! I can't keep a straight face any longer.

IMG_1739.jpg

Here's the ugliest little cheeky boat on the cut, not taking herself at all seriously. Built 1969 and still chugging along on her original SR2.

Don't worry about turning your nose up at her, she knows her worth to me. wub.png

That is a nicely proportioned boat, really like the camber on the cabin sides too. I like boats which are a bit different to the norm!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...