Enclosing forward deck

Neil Coker

Featured Posts

On a business trip to Strasbourg a few years ago, I went for an evening walk along a canal and noticed that the locks has a pole with a floating bollard recessed into the sides of the lock, by each gate. Boats came in, tied to the bollard and then filled or emptied the lock. As the front was held in place it eliminated the risk of cilling when going down or getting the front caught on gate protrusions when going up.

Shouldn't cost any more to install than lock ladders and, as far as I could see foolproof (assuming that they were actually used).

Well since this topic started I have been taking a bit more notice as I cruise around and have seen several enclosed bows in the last few days. Lots of very short boats are built like that.

Here is another we passed

srbarKs.jpg

Or maybe this would suite the OP better.

aWxsuLs.jpg

FgsNB44.jpg

The sterns were slightly different.

Hmm, but the hulls are identical. Whereaboats did you spot them? It looks as if one builder is turning them out, he's completed the outside one (hence natty paint job) and the other is awaiting the painter's attention.

What was the difference? One cruiser and one trad?

Hmm, but the hulls are identical. Whereaboats did you spot them? It looks as if one builder is turning them out, he's completed the outside one (hence natty paint job) and the other is awaiting the painter's attention.

What was the difference? One cruiser and one trad?

Right, the inside one is being fitted out just above Common Lock on the T&M just below Fradley, the outside one only arrived yesterday or this morning before 11 am. we had seen here cruising down at Huddlesford Junction Sunday morning.

They are both cruiser stern but the painted one has two low boxes coming back from the cabin on the edges of the cruiser deck like a half height semi trad if that makes sense?

god thats soooooo fugly ,, im not a fan of the closed in front id want to be able to leave in a hurry ! lol so fugly

I agree about exits. I use to work for a company that regularly use to drown and burn its employees as part of their ongoing certification to carry on working. I can assure anyone who thinks its easy to twiddle knobs and find things to stand on when the place is full of smoke or water, it isn't. Our boat is never locked when we are onboard. I risk someone coming in unannounced against the ease of getting out if something goes wrong.

Right, the inside one is being fitted out just above Common Lock on the T&M just below Fradley, the outside one only arrived yesterday or this morning before 11 am. we had seen here cruising down at Huddlesford Junction Sunday morning.

They are both cruiser stern but the painted one has two low boxes coming back from the cabin on the edges of the cruiser deck like a half height semi trad if that makes sense?

Sounds like what is being referred to these days as a "semi cruiser".

Our boat is never locked when we are onboard. I risk someone coming in unannounced against the ease of getting out if something goes wrong.

same as Mr Crawler the risk outways the consequence!! as seen today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ukdiggerboy

If you have ever been in a fire smoke house you will know how hard it is to undo a standard door let alone undoing catches, bolts locks etc. It can be completely disoriginating and frightening even in controlled conditions. Ask any of the firefights/exfirefighters on here there first time in one.

As others have said a lock or pile of rubbish on the outside of the door and forget it.

Is that a boat for someone who doesn't move much? smile.pngsmile.png

Of course not, don't be silly. It's a pair of boats; one cruises, the other stays where it is.

Edited to add, appropriately I feel, a semi-colon.

Edited by Athy

• 9 months later...

Decided not to lengthen the hull so it's still 53' but gained another 4' internally by lengthening the cabin. Rear end being reconfigured to tidy it up. Now being primed for paint. New window frames all been powder coated and next phase will be to get stuck into the interior.

post-22404-0-08155000-1442598388_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-31917500-1442598399_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-72010700-1442598411_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-91684500-1442598439_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-05588400-1442598462_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-88063800-1442598475_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-26378800-1442598487_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-06794700-1442598498_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-60464900-1442598508_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-47133800-1442598520_thumb.jpg

post-22404-0-01271600-1442598531_thumb.jpg