Enclosing forward deck

Neil Coker

Featured Posts

When we had a share in Honeystreet, one of the other co-owners left the side hatches open through a flight of locks, which resulted in the oak veneer on the inside of the hatches getting wet and eventually turning black. This happened twice and is why they are now painted.

explains the paint then! Mind you if wasn't painted white it would make the Saloon even darker when closed!

I thought about doing it once but decided against...

Extendedbowcabin.jpg

On many boats it's impossible to follow the lines of the cabin while curving the sides in, so it's probably better not to try and just make a feature out of the design, otherwise you might end up with something looking like this. (The "windows" were my addition in an effort to improve it).

Presentation1-1.jpg

On our previous boat we converted the front to cover the well deck.

We had the deck and the forward bulkhead cut out and covererd the space in steel to resemble a cratch cover.

The only thing under the floor was a large drawer and the water pump as the water tank was an integral tank in the bow.

We had a double glazed window fitted to the front which hinged fully outwards as our escape route.

Will try and find some pics when i get home.

We painted the new structure black to resemble a cratch cover but i think if we had kept the boat we would've eventually repainted uniformally.

Access to the bow water hatch was good due to decent hand grips along the roof and a wide gunnel.

We had no problems selling her a few months ago

Saltysplash,did you have to walk down the gunwale all the way from the stern to reach the bow or could you get out easily from forward?

The front window was not used to exit the boat except in an emergency so yes, when underway it would be a trip along the gunnel or over the roof.

eta it wouldve been possible if suitable steps were in place below the window but that was where the bed was placed

Edited by saltysplash

This definitely an "eye of the beholder" situation. Neither of them look good to me.

I prefer the white one as it has a nicer bow and the sides look to curve in unlike the blue one.

However for a narrowboat I do prefer the open front deck, I think they look and work better. A wheelhouse and closed deck work better on a "Dutch barge" as you have wider gunnels. I would feel unsafe on those boats at the front when boating.

Edited by Robbo

I prefer the white one as it has a nicer bow and the sides look to curve in unlike the blue one.

However for a narrowboat I do prefer the open front deck look better.

I think narrow Dutch Barges look odd. An open front deck, apart from the aesthetics is a useful space. Cratch over, best of both worlds.

Someone needs to come up with a similar mod to prevent boats hanging up on the cill when going down in locks.

An on board GPS unit, on sensing the boat descending, the engine is automatically put into tickover forwards, to hold the boat against the bottom gates and clear of the cill.