Shady Oak near Beeston

snigsnig

Featured Posts

Ah yes,I saw what was Valley Cruisers. Lovely Marina still with a fabulas hillside backdrop.

The disused marina we saw was,I think prior to this. Opposite on the tow path side there are lovely old cottages.

I think must have been near bridge 33 ish!

Not sure what this is doing in the Shady thread, but FWIW there's been a pool there for quite a while but never, so far as I know, actually connected to the cut. At one stage there was a narrowboat floating in it, must have been craned in, but it's not been there for a couple of years.

Like you, I've often wondered what it was all about, looks like someone started to build a marina and then gave up.

I have no idea why it's in this thread. Must have been a rush of blood to the brain box.

Thanks for your info. You are more than likely correct. Looks to me yo be marina shaped,whatever that is. But,it does give the impression that it's been blocked of at some stage in the past.

Martyn

Travelled up from the Ashby to Atherstone in the last couple of days. Passed what was a marina. The entrance blocked of years ago by the looks of it.

Anyone know any info other that that?

Martyn

I believe that somebody bought this flooded quarry site and intended to cut through to the canal (without permission from BW) to make a marina. The plans were going ahead until BW stepped in and, having unsuccessfully tried to explain that the quarry would not be suitable and would not be allowed to operate as a marina, stanked the proposed entrance off. The owner continued to live in a narrowboat in the quarry for some time.

I'm sure this was discussed on the forum several years ago but I can't find it now.

If you google map in satellite view there's what appears to be a red topped narrowboat in the 'pool' It's on the left just before bridge 35 (Worthington Farm Bridge) heading towards Atherstone.

Don't know if this will work but here's a link to google maps:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/mancetter+quarry/@52.5580137,-1.5320686,596m/data=!3m1!1e3

I stopped by Shady on Saturday 28th March.

Still not open. Kitchen is an empty shell so DEFINATELY won't be doing food just yet.

Beer pumps fitted inside, but no optics, or anything else.

Sign in window says it's applied for a minor variation to its licensing based on a revised internal layout.

Anybody else got an update?

Will it or won't it be open for drinks at Easter ?

Myself and my partner run the Old Trooper in Christleton and own our own NB Lizzie Anne 3, we've always loved the Shady Oak, I called in a couple of months ago and met the new tenants. They are turning it into a Carvery but with a separate bar area for drinkers,

The new tenant has spent tens of thousands on the place and its looking really good, I went yesterday for a nosey round, they had the landscapers in doing the final touch ups before the grand opening, which I am informed will be around Easter time.

The Shady is a fab business and a lovely little quaint pub, here's hoping it will regain this reputation now that it has had the much needed revamp

Watch this space

I was moored at Shady Oak Saturday and Sunday.They have made a really good job of the refurbishment, very bright and smart decor and very much improved.

Apparently there will be food on in a week or so and you will be able to pay by card too, not cash only as it was before.

I imagine it will be very busy over the coming months.....

• 1 month later...

A quick update on this from the beer lovers point of view.

I just popped in for a pint at the Shady Oak. A modern makeover, rather stark. Good welcome. 2 cask beers, one local. Quality perfectly acceptable, if not exceptional.

They're looking for staff, if anyone's interested. Chef, bar staff, kitchen assistants.

Had a meal there two weeks ago, food was excellent, very well priced, some people were complaining about the 40 min wait as it was packed and only one chef, but at least you knew the food was freshly cooked. The Timothy Taylor's was top quality to.