Shady Oak near Beeston

snigsnig

Featured Posts

It would appear that the Shady Oak in Tiverton near Beeston has closed its doors once again. This time however I've heard that the site will be redeveloped, but can't get any firm information. It'd be such a shame to see this pub go, and just wondered if anyone knew any more about it?

Cheers (or not!)

Neil

My wife, Mary, had a walk down to the pub the day before yesterday to get some eggs as we were moored close by.

All the lights were on, but it was not open.

There were three people inside when she was invited inside to wait for the eggs,

Apparently the brewers have tightened their hold too much on this pub, and will now close and apparently sold.

So, another pub closes and we loose another bit of canal history and English heritage!

Edited by nipper

It's a shame because it is in a fantastic location, but it has been going downhill for years. I wondered if Brunning & Price might be interested and do what they've done with the Dysert Arms in Bunbury (and every other establishment they have turned their attention to), but it is probably too small for them. I might email them all the same in case it's just not on their radar.

To be honest, its been so badly run by the most recent landlords it was comedic - I spent one afternoon drinking orange squash in there as they had run out of everything else I asked for!! I've never really understood why they struggle so much.. it has boat trade, camping trade from their own campsite at the back, bikers (its a popular stop-off point for biking clubs, both cycling and motorbikes), the Sandstone trail passes by Wharton Lock and hence the pubs gets a lot of hikers... when you go in there its generally busy... very strange. It really does deserve better, as Catweasel says its a beautful spot, and could be fantastic in the right hands.

N

To be honest, its been so badly run by the most recent landlords it was comedic - I spent one afternoon drinking orange squash in there as they had run out of everything else I asked for!! I've never really understood why they struggle so much.. it has boat trade, camping trade from their own campsite at the back, bikers (its a popular stop-off point for biking clubs, both cycling and motorbikes), the Sandstone trail passes by Wharton Lock and hence the pubs gets a lot of hikers... when you go in there its generally busy... very strange. It really does deserve better, as Catweasel says its a beautful spot, and could be fantastic in the right hands.

N

Its in the middle of nowhere. Boat traffic is negligible compared to other income sources.

I went In there and would have drunk them dry as so thirsty.... but they would not take plastic.

Same last couple of times we visited. I have noticed this is becoming a trend in a few places we go to. Quite surprising, and must cost the places some trade.

Same last couple of times we visited. I have noticed this is becoming a trend in a few places we go to. Quite surprising, and must cost the places some trade.

Yes a harsh lesson for me so I always carry an emergency wedge now which covers 2 days bar bill. wink.png

ETA I used the Shady Oak about 3/4 times and had a soft spot for it when I noticed on first visit that there were chickens wandering in and out the pub.

Edited by mark99

• 3 months later...

Moored opposite it at the moment, definitly still being refurbed as there are skips full of interior outside, but looks less like a building site inside than it did a few weeks ago. Towpath rumour at the moment is it will be open at Easter, but for drinks only as they are having a complete new kitchen built and that won't be ready in time. As I say rumour only though.

Rumour has it that Lakeland Leisure who own Tattenhall Marina - where most of the Shady's boaty clientele head down from - have bought the pub, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Would not be surprised as the chap who owns Lakeland Leisure used to own caravan parks - and that pub is one (caravan park) too.

I hope the chickens still wander into the bar.......if not that's not right!

Edited by mark99

Ah yes,I saw what was Valley Cruisers. Lovely Marina still with a fabulas hillside backdrop.

The disused marina we saw was,I think prior to this. Opposite on the tow path side there are lovely old cottages.

I think must have been near bridge 33 ish!

Well here we are moored opposite the Shady Oak for tonight. I promised I would give an update. Work still in progress but there were workmen on site when we arrived. The manager of the Old Trooper has told us that it will be opening as a Carvery pub. Can't confirm that information though or when it will be open but he seems to think quite soon. :)