Good Boatyards

Neil2

Featured Posts

If this has already been suggested or there is already something on the forum then I'll apologise in advance for my ignorance/laziness.

On our last trip over 3/4 weeks I encountered several examples of excellent (and by the same token pretty shoddy) service from a number of boatyards/marinas on the network and just like there is a Good Garages guide I thought surely there should be a similar thing for the canals.

Apart from anything else I think credit should be given where it's due.

I can't think this hasn't come up before but a cursory look round the forum didn't reveal anything, Or maybe I've been lucky and there just aren't enough examples...?

It would be a useful guide but I cannot see it happening.

Good service to one person could be anothers 'poor service', we all have different expectations and at the end of the day its all subjective / matter of opinion.

One person could say - great service, spent time chatting and explaining, not rushed - wonderful, the next person could say, totally unprofessional, I wanted to get in and out and all they could do was natter on - not recommended.

Take "Diesel splits" - some folks happy to deal with sellers who insist on 60/40, others say 'dont touch them - what they are doing is ilegal"

Looking at the way many threads evolve into arguments and animosity would 'a list of recommended' companies be feasible or achievable ?

Its probably better just to make a post "Great service from XYZ today"

(Other opinions are no doubt available)

But if we adhered to your criteria there would never be a good anything guide.

True - but the 'Good Food Guide', 'Good Hotels Guide' etc are not run along the same lines as Canal World Forum.

They are 'single issue' website / books compiled by professional inspectors, who are not sidetracked by overstayers, pumpouts or CCers.

The reveiews subsequently sent in by the public are then "assessed for inclusion"

From the Good Food Guide :

Your restaurant feedback

The long-list for potential entries is created from the huge volume of feedback that we receive from members of the public. We collect their thoughts and recommendations throughout the year, via our restaurant feedback form. The Good Food Guide team then assess the recommendations and create a long list of potential inclusions.

Are the Mods on CWF going to sift thru' every submission before it appears on the forum ?

It would be great if it could work but I just cannot see it working on a discussion forum.

True - but the 'Good Food Guide', 'Good Hotels Guide' etc are not run along the same lines as Canal World Forum.

They are 'single issue' website / books compiled by professional inspectors, who are not sidetracked by overstayers, pumpouts or CCers.

The reveiews subsequently sent in by the public are then "assessed for inclusion"

From the Good Food Guide :

Your restaurant feedback

The long-list for potential entries is created from the huge volume of feedback that we receive from members of the public. We collect their thoughts and recommendations throughout the year, via our restaurant feedback form. The Good Food Guide team then assess the recommendations and create a long list of potential inclusions.

Are the Mods on CWF going to sift thru' every submission before it appears on the forum ?

It would be great if it could work but I just cannot see it working on a discussion forum.

You only need to look up somewhere on trip adviser. two people will say its great, one OK and another two rubish

I agree that it is too subjective.

Most "Good whatever Guides" suffer from the bleating brigade to be of much use.

Such guides previously used to check restaurants/garages etc. by employing their own examiners. It allowed a certain amount of professionalism and continuity in reporting.

I take Alan's point, I hadn't really thought it through and yes, when you read some of the comments on trip adviser you often see it's often not the service but the expectations of the customer that causes the negativity, you have to read between the lines.

A pinned thread would probably do, which members could then do searches on. So, if I'm passing a certain chandlers/marina/boatyard I could perform a name search and see what comments have been made, if any.

By way of a few examples, I'm always amazed and delighted by Streethay Wharf on the Coventry who always seem to have the part you need (maybe I've just been lucky) their diesel's cheap too, Orwell's Yard at Market Drayton got us out of a hole by dropping everything to do a bit of emergency welding once, and Lyon's at the top end of the Stratford are just lovely people with everything at reasonable prices just watch out for flying golf balls...

• 2 weeks later...

If this has already been suggested or there is already something on the forum then I'll apologise in advance for my ignorance/laziness.

On our last trip over 3/4 weeks I encountered several examples of excellent (and by the same token pretty shoddy) service from a number of boatyards/marinas on the network and just like there is a Good Garages guide I thought surely there should be a similar thing for the canals.

Apart from anything else I think credit should be given where it's due.

I can't think this hasn't come up before but a cursory look round the forum didn't reveal anything, Or maybe I've been lucky and there just aren't enough examples...?

sounds like a cracking idea to me

• 5 months later...

Last post 6 months ago, so it hasn't got much further and looks to have hit the buffers.

My personal experience is that both yards that I have used recently did a very good job at what they were asked to do, but one left the boat in one hell of a mess afterwards, because the workers did not clear up their mess and it was not inspected by the boss. The other one also did an excellent job, but again there were things that did not work after refitting. I have heard some appalling tales of shoddy work on boats, with some even coming close to sinking. If the garage industry worked like this, they would be out of business in no time.

Although I no longer service my own car, I do service my boat, because I hate anyone else getting their hands on her.

• Greenie 1