Great Canal Journeys

Machpoint005

Featured Posts

It seems that those commissioning TV programmes have the same urge to exaggerate as most of the presenters -- eg 'incredible' actually means 'mildly surprising'.

Are those the same ones who tell us that we shall be "Literally glued to your screen"? The bloody thing has been stuck to my forehead for weeks now and I'm getting really fed up with it.

• 2 weeks later...

watching it gives me my canal fix when i cant be there myself! Though i do cringe at Tim's abilities to tell us in one breath that Pru has difficulty remembering things and in the next breath complain that she hasnt "cast him off" Maybe he should do some work himself after all going up in a lock means he could help out more! That's my little gripe anyway!!

watching it gives me my canal fix when i cant be there myself! Though i do cringe at Tim's abilities to tell us in one breath that Pru has difficulty remembering things and in the next breath complain that she hasnt "cast him off" Maybe he should do some work himself after all going up in a lock means he could help out more! That's my little gripe anyway!!

Are you suggesting that a man operates lock things ? That has always been the female domain and long may that be the case.smile.png

Yeah, that pretty much matches what I thought. Instead of expecting Pru to remember when exactly to cast off, he could help her by just saying 'cast off' when he's ready. Frankly, he really ought to do that whether or not she has short-term memory challenges - the most capable crew member really shouldn't be expected to (or attempt to) predict the skipper's intentions. Stuff happens - what if the skipper's not ready?

In a broad lock going up which ever one of us is the skipper ( yes i can and do handle my boat in locks whilst he does the hard work!) usually flips the rope off the bollard or failing that using the rope to pull to the side of the lock step off, flip the rope off and step baack on, pulling boat back to side of course if it has drifted! I just wonder why he doesnt do this whilst Pru is at the gate ready to close it after he has bashed maouvered through!

"Have you ever seen my wife make toast?" (breathes on both sides of hand)(implying she's dragon). We bumped into Mrs Fawlty and Mr Brass this Summer, and I'd like to think we'll grow up to be just like them.

"eg 'incredible' actually means 'mildly surprising'." - as 'wicked awesome' means 'not too bad'.

"Watching it is something to do during the "evening period" " - you're taking the canal water out of those feminists, aren't you?

Edited by Emerald Fox

• 3 months later...

I like these pair. Unlike John Sergeant, they get stuck in (he just pretends to navigate the system and doesn't even operate locks himself) and have a true love of the canals. In comparison to Barging around Britain, Great Canal Journeys seems more down to earth, realistic and much more boaty :)