Do you ever fall in....

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Or.......also off topic...... holding the same umbrella during a huge thunderstorm, out in the wilds with lightening striking all around, and then realising you are just about the highest point in the vicinity.........hurts mummy

If you don't hold an umbrella, and lightning strikes the highest part of the boat, wouldn't that be your head?

In a heavy electrical storm you should really be inside, where it's safe!

As are the commercial waterways up here.

Interestingly when I fell in it was in the Marina at Mercia and one thing I remember is not being able to detect the bottom, I don't think where we moored in the marina it was close to being as shallow as that, or the whole marina may be equally deep. I know it was formed from a lake so that may have something to do with it or are canal based marinas as shallow as the cut normally I wonder?

The marina at Lemonroyd was pretty deep too but that was on the A&CN so that probably accounted for it.

AIUI, Mercia varies from a five foot minimum near the edges to about eight foot in the centre. It's the hole left from excavating material for the A38/A50 interchange, the Toyota roundabout. Every pontoon group has a recovery ladder alongside the lifebelt and fire extinguisher station.

AIUI, Mercia varies from a five foot minimum near the edges to about eight foot in the centre. It's the hole left from excavating material for the A38/A50 interchange, the Toyota roundabout. Every pontoon group has a recovery ladder alongside the lifebelt and fire extinguisher station.

Thanks for that, we were about ten boats out from the edge so it would explain why it was so deep. I can't remember the ladders though. I just hauled myself out with some assistance from our neighbour and the step on the back of the boat.

I hadn't realised what had created the lake the marina was formed from either.

If you don't hold an umbrella, and lightning strikes the highest part of the boat, wouldn't that be your head?

In a heavy electrical storm you should really be inside, where it's safe!

Nah, I was on a mission. Besides I had a hat on tongue.png

Once. After a lunchtime music/beer session in the pub on Xmas day. Through the ice...

I'm told that all that could be seen was my arm sticking up through the hole in the ice, just like the lady of the lake except holding a tankard instead of a sword.

The tankard was still full of beer afterwards, but I was shivering so much I couldn't drink it...

Once. After a lunchtime music/beer session in the pub on Xmas day. Through the ice...

I'm told that all that could be seen was my arm sticking up through the hole in the ice, just like the lady of the lake except holding a tankard instead of a sword.

The tankard was still full of beer afterwards, but I was shivering so much I couldn't drink it...

Lol, at least you saved the beer.

Your not a true 'boater' until you have fallen in at least once.

That's good to know! I fell in earlier this year, at an empty lock on the K&A. Standing on the roof of the boat and leaning against the coping stone edge whilst tryimg to lasoo a bollard. The boat drifted out and I was almost horizontal before I realised. Doh!

Fortunatly the water only came up to my neck. The water was suprisingly warm (until i got out)!

In the summer I always keep the fire set with wood .

A shower and then a warm in front of the fire wash mouth with antiseptic mouthwash .

It is usually a laugh but in marinas and some canals the water is of a dubious nature .

One person I know fell in afterwards was quite sick and did not realise that he had brought up his medication within a short while he was off to hospital.

In the summer I always keep the fire set with wood .

A shower and then a warm in front of the fire wash mouth with antiseptic mouthwash .

It is usually a laugh but in marinas and some canals the water is of a dubious nature .

One person I know fell in afterwards was quite sick and did not realise that he had brought up his medication within a short while he was off to hospital.

I used to go swimming in Hartford Marina on the River Gt Ouse. I think it is a disused Gravel Quarry and it is spring fed from an underground stream. Clear as a bell but bloody freezing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I fell in once in 14 years on a winter morning, I slipped on the gangplank and fell through the thin ice. On the way down i came to about 2 inches from sterility if you know what i mean...

one time a crew-member got distracted while casting off and made a jump for it after seeing how far the boat was from the dock, he barely made it and was clinging to the coil of mooring line hanging over the side with his feet in the water.

The last person to fall in was a friend who was visiting on a cruise. He was making his way to the stern to help navigate a sharp turn, but hadn't been told that the handrail wasn't screwed down, both he and the rail went over the side smile.png

(both were recovered in good condition)

Edited by Alexander1618

Keep to the golden rule of at least three points of contact on the boat when moving, boarding/off-boarding. Majority of people who have fallen in have more than likely broken this rule. As said by others, the water doesn't hurt it's what other things you hit when falling that hurts.

When I fell of Juno a few years ago I had three points of contact with the boat, both feet were on the side deck and my hand was gripping the windscreen

Sadly, the windscreen didn't retain it's hold to the cabin though, which was my undoing...

When I first started boating with my parents in the 70s falling in was a daily occurrence. However I'm a strong swimmer and over 6 ft tall so my parents left me to it. I remember falling in once whilst wearing a thick sailors woolly jumper and wellys and having to drag myself out into a muddy field full of curious cows.

In recent times I've managed to avoid falling in although I did come close last summer walking back to the boat along a dark towpath after one too many in a rather fine real ale pub. Only went in up to the knee on one leg!