Do you ever fall in....

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Never, and I'm so confident that I won't that my latest mobile phone is a Sony Xperia - waterproof to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes! wink.png

oooo thats interesting....maybe worth looking in to for my next phone. The Samsung S3 can manage toilet water for 30 seconds then requires a week in a bag of rice!

Always remember an aquintance of mine who obviously always got off his boat the same way until one day after turning said boat around to do some work on it woke up early the next day to go to work, stepped off it the usual way straight into the cut. My only regret is I wasn't there to see it

Always remember an aquintance of mine who obviously always got off his boat the same way until one day after turning said boat around to do some work on it woke up early the next day to go to work, stepped off it the usual way straight into the cut. My only regret is I wasn't there to see it

An awful lot of people similarly fail to engage brain when stepping into their cars of a morning!

Now that's just plain selfish!......

What about all the others who would've loved to have watched?!

I've managed to avoid the immersion trick so far, but experienced complete flat on face at Glos docks pontoons (damn things bob up and down as you walk)!

Also had one leg slide down between steel canal side and earth bank. Lucky to get away with just bruising on that one. The hole was obscured by grass and cider.

Keep to the golden rule of at least three points of contact on the boat when moving, boarding/off-boarding.

Let's see.

Left hand on centre line - check

Right hand on centre line - check

Left foot on floor - check

Right foot on floor - check... Oh wait, there's a coping stone missing under the grass <splash>

Richard

Fell in a couple of weeks ago which was not great shakes apart from losing a pair of glassses and writing off a brand new Iphone 6 :-(

Much more worrying was on Monday when I went down with flu like symptoms, heeding years of warnings about Weils disease I then proceded to spend the next five hours in Barnet hospital A & E having various blood tests.

It was interesting in the medical staff reaction which varied from outright denial that such a disease existed and that they didn't test for it right through to a very nice young doctor giving me chapter and verse on the percentage of people that died after catching it!

Tim

(I was cleared should anyone be interested)

Edited by Tim Lewis

And if you do fall into the canal, remember most are only 3-4 feet deep so just stand up while you collect you thoughts. But equally be aware that is deeper in and near locks, and of course rivers can be much deeper.

As are the commercial waterways up here.

Interestingly when I fell in it was in the Marina at Mercia and one thing I remember is not being able to detect the bottom, I don't think where we moored in the marina it was close to being as shallow as that, or the whole marina may be equally deep. I know it was formed from a lake so that may have something to do with it or are canal based marinas as shallow as the cut normally I wonder?

The marina at Lemonroyd was pretty deep too but that was on the A&CN so that probably accounted for it.

Not been in yet but was once sat outside on a pontoon with my mate, he was wildly gesticulating and threw himself off the deck, beer in one hand, iphone in the other along with the chair he was sat on.

All I can say is that you'd be surprised how much water a duck down puffa jacket can hold!

In the brilliant summer that was 2012, we popped into a mrina on the Llangollen for a day in order to dry out and make use of the services.

The following morning. as Ali untied the bow, she slipped on the pontoon and went in, deeply grazing herself as she did so. This was a designated " Visitors" pontoon and was so slippy you could hardly remain upright on it.

In the office, after some discussion and reluctance on their part, the accident book was handed over. Without exception, it recorded accidents involving slipping from the pontoons, one a lady with babe in arms! I understand that residents are responsible for cleaning their own pontoons.

Although fully emersed, Ali said she never touched bottom. Getting her out was a nightmare, with ner a ladder in the area and armco banking. Taught us a lesson.

Been in a couple of times on purpose to clear the raw water intake on the old boat which was very badly designed; once or twice I've slipped off the gunwale but held onto the handrail, barking my shins on the way down and getting wet up to the knees (but that's less than half, so rounds down to zero) and once I walked straight into the river, distracted by a scrape on a bollard left by a friend's boat when it sat on it during a flood the previous week.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

If you do fall in, try not doing it in the dark, on your own, and contrive to break a bone....even in a shallow canal, getting out is not easy and it really spoils your week.

Oh and do as I say, not as I do, WEAR A LIFE JACKET. If you hit your head on the way in, being able to swim is irrelevant.

Up to now i have had a few near misses but never gone in, I always have spare clothes on board in case, had to use them earlier this year when i got caught in a torrential rain storm!

I have done the classic of leaning over to reach for the front rope as the front end moved away from the bank, managed to let go of rope and pull myself back in time and then asked myself what the hell i was doing. Also the shroppie shelf can cause me problems as the gap between bank and boat can be vast for someone with little legs!

I have injured myself on locks though, slipped last year (On BCN challenge) it was going dark and having had the weather from hell all day ground was exceptionally wet, i put my back in to push gate slipped and whacked my head on the gate as i slid down! OW. I have also fallen on slippy grass when walking back to boat after closing gate. I'm sure i will go in soon as other half seems to think i have the ability to get on the boat at speed!(well faster than i would like) I can usually as long as the bank isnt too low making it a big step up!

and....slightly off topic...when you do go cruising....and it begins to rain.....try not to hold a massive golfing umbrella over yourself, with one hand, and the tiller in the other, while approaching a low stone arch bridge...in the howling wind. Things tend to go wrong very quickly.

and....slightly off topic...when you do go cruising....and it begins to rain.....try not to hold a massive golfing umbrella over yourself, with one hand, and the tiller in the other, while approaching a low stone arch bridge...in the howling wind. Things tend to go wrong very quickly.

Or.......also off topic...... holding the same umbrella during a huge thunderstorm, out in the wilds with lightening striking all around, and then realising you are just about the highest point in the vicinity.........hurts mummy