Do you ever fall in....

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

the water that is... I'm a very clumsy person... and i just wondered if you ever fall into the canal whist trying to get from land to boat, or just generally whist on the boat.

In my experience it's not a question of "if" you fall in, but "when"...

the water that is... I'm a very clumsy person... and i just wondered if you ever fall into the canal whist trying to get from land to boat, or just generally whist on the boat.

Once fully.

Once up to the thigh.

Both occasions by not being careful and doing something too hastily when really there was no need to rush.

ohhh phew!! I just had a worry that I'd end up in the water and all the other boaters would just shake their heads and worry who their new neighbour was!

....if you are going to fall in don't do it with a nearly new iPhone in your jeans pocket.

They don't like it.

It's not falling in that's the problem, it's getting out again.

A canoeist overturned just near where we're moored. She simply couldn't haul herself out and neither could her companion manage to rescue her . Fortunately we keep a ladder on the mooring for such an eventuality.

The ladder came in handy again when OH fell in recently.

Edited by koukouvagia

No, they would be too busy laughing expressing sympathy to do that.

In my experience, if someone falls in, people tend to laugh at first, then quickly offer any help they can.

The crew of the hire boat who hauled me out last year weren't laughing, at least not after they saw me go down for the second time.

The water is not the only problem. When I went in I slid down the side of the boat and the rubbing strakes didn't half rub. I was black and blue with an enormous bruise right down one side of my body. Very painful for many days despite no broken bones. Also, if you do go in, don't assume there is nothing sharp and spiky down there as you try to get out. Finally, don't fall in between the boat and anything hard if the boat is liable to close up. Finally plus one, ensure you have no open wounds that can get water in them see Wiki Weill's disease.

Edited by system 4-50

After 20 yrs of managing to stay on board I finally did the deed last week. The mem'sahib was bringing NEL out of the appropriately named Falling Sands lock, I stepped on board, missed my footing and fell in up to my hoozits, jolly unpleasant I can tell you. I did, however, manage to save the windlass.

Keep to the golden rule of at least three points of contact on the boat when moving, boarding/off-boarding. Majority of people who have fallen in have more than likely broken this rule. As said by others, the water doesn't hurt it's what other things you hit when falling that hurts.

Edited by Robbo

If you are going to fall in, Bancroft basin at Stratford upon Avon is not the place to do so. Not me I hasten to add.

A couple had called to see friends of friends on their boat. The lady spotted the boat she was after and ran down the pontoon to confirm it was the correct boat I presume. Well, the pontoon ran out! Splash, one very wet lady. Whilst hubby went home to get the car, Ali furnished her with a towel whilst her friends provided a hot drink... All life is in Stratford!

My turn will no doubt come. Ali has already been initiated...

No never have done but purple farie has

We were having this conversation a few weekends back before a load of us went for a curry in Saxilby. One of the lads bravely made that statement and then fell in a few hours later on his way back laugh.png

Obviously we all had lots of sympathy as he bundled him dripping wet onto the boat. biggrin.png