What boat would you buy for £40K?

Jen_P

Featured Posts

It depends, de cluttering - yes, maybe a lick of neutral paint or a new rug, but I never think there is much point in doing more than that, because a new buyer is always going to rip up carpets etc to make it their own. If an agent is doing their job properly the property to should be priced to reflect any major expenditure a buyer might have, I.E new central heating etc. and they should also be helping any purchaser to see past what is currently in the property and help them to visualise it as their own.

Also - it completely depends on the area, where I am people generally want to live in the area regardless of the state of the property. It's ridiculous.

I agree about it being ridiculous. We did the whole thing because to do only part would have looked obvious.

We were in London, SE23, so everything was and still is ridiculous.

where I am people generally want to live in the area regardless of the state of the property. It's ridiculous.

I'm sure that the staff at your office are deeply saddened by this ludicrous state of affairs.wink.png

Perhaps, as a condition of gaining their professional qualifications, they should be sent on a month's secondment to an agency in Loscoe or Langley Mill to experience the other side of the property coin.

(You haven't heard of Loscoe or Langley Mill? be grateful!)

I'm sure that the staff at your office are deeply saddened by this ludicrous state of affairs.wink.png

Perhaps, as a condition of gaining their professional qualifications, they should be sent on a month's secondment to an agency in Loscoe or Langley Mill to experience the other side of the property coin.

I have even heard of, and seen , the Loscoe State Opera!

I have even heard of, and seen , the Loscoe State Opera!

I've heard of them. To most people's surprise, Loscoe and opera rhyme.

I have just looked up Moss Side and discovered it to be a suburb of Manchester. I was amused to learn that a few years ago they knocked down the library, the police station and the fire station and built a brewery in their place.

Edited by Athy

Langley Mill is quite pleasant compared to Moss Side

A holiday company is offering ‘hate breaks’ to what it says are the worst 20 places in the world - including Moss Side.

Residents of the area have reacted with fury to the website, run by holiday company Buy A Gift,

The website lists Moss Side as one of the 20 worst places in the world which you should avoid while visiting the rest of the city they are based in.

A holiday company is offering ‘hate breaks’ to what it says are the worst 20 places in the world - including Moss Side.

Residents of the area have reacted with fury to the website, run by holiday company Buy A Gift,

The website lists Moss Side as one of the 20 worst places in the world which you should avoid while visiting the rest of the city they are based in.

That's right, Langley Mill does not qualify because it's not in a city.

Basically it's a place where they closed the coal mines, knocked down the factories and forgot to open anything new to take their place. It does have the canal basin, its sole saving grace.

As it's just me (no one else except my boss) all it's doing is making me consider moving away from the area if I ever want to own a house! There is no way we could afford to buy around here, and prices keep rising. £200,000 for a 1 bed starter home anyone?

As an estate agent.... if the bits of the property you don't like are working fine, it's just not to your taste, vendors don't take kindly to dropping the price because you don't like the colour or style of the kitchen for example. If it needs to be completely ripped out due to being at the end of it's life or dangerous or whatever fine. But, it's very frustrating when people want to bring down the price of a property just because they'll need to spending money on it to make it their taste.

Sorry if that comes across mean, but its something i deal with day in day out!! Always worth putting in an offer, but when people use that reason it get's a sellers back up (so try come up with something less emotive as the reason for the offer!)

No, not mean. I think there's a difference between offering less because something isn't to your taste (which I wouldn't do!) and offering less because of obviously bodged DIY jobs in a property that would require putting right. The boat has some bits of really dodgy fit out - these aren't just not to my taste - they are bodged!

This has got me all confused! We are talking about Langley in Slough are we? Which is where the boat is moored?!!!

That's right, Langley Mill does not qualify because it's not in a city.

Basically it's a place where they closed the coal mines, knocked down the factories and forgot to open anything new to take their place. It does have the canal basin, its sole saving grace.

I know it well - my old stomping ground was Heanor, Ilkeston etc.

When at college it was the Pit canteen every day for Lunch

This has got me all confused! We are talking about Langley in Slough are we? Which is where the boat is moored?!!!

No Langley Mill is in Derbyshire

I know it well - my old stomping ground was Heanor, Ilkeston etc.

We lived in Heanor for six years, towards the Smalley end, which is when I got to know and avoid Langley Mill!

There is no way we could afford to buy around here, and prices keep rising. £200,000 for a 1 bed starter home anyone?

Blimey. I reckon you should consider buying a boat instead.

Oh, hang on....

Have you seen any good 'uns over the weekend?

Blimey. I reckon you should consider buying a boat instead.

Oh, hang on....

Have you seen any good 'uns over the weekend?

hah tell me about it! Didn't go to see any this weekend, we have a trip to Whilton ear marked for the weekend, but we have had some bad family news which means this might need to be postponed, annnd I'm working most weekends for the rest of the year! So might have to stick to local places instead.

Langley Mill on the Erewash canal in Derbyshire.

Langley Mill is brill.

Dead end so you get no boaters going past at full thrash trying to get home before X factor starts.

Good community, although the price of mooring may be rising soon.

KFC on the other side of the bridge....(ok, I stop now before it goes downhill any further...)

• 5 years later...
On 11/11/2014 at 08:38, Jen_P said:

OK, now THIS is why I started this thread.

Little Blue is on my wishlist of boats to view.

Ambience I hadn't spotted but it's GORGEOUS! Totally gorgeous. Was fantasy planning boat interiors over the weekend and decided I wanted green tongue and groove and lots of white and that's what it is.

Thank you!

Opinions on those boats welcomed!

Sorry for raising an old topic, but does anyone know if Little Blue mention above is the same one that is currently listed on ABNB.  

11 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

Sorry for raising an old topic, but does anyone know if Little Blue mention above is the same one that is currently listed on ABNB.  

Matches the description for builder/engine/portholes and being gas free. Helluva price increase if it was on the market for ~40k

Glancing back through this topic, I wonder whatever happened to our estate-agent friend lmcgrath (Lucy?) She stopped posting in early 2017 and last visited CWDF in January of last year. I don't think anyone particularly upset her. I recall she was looking for a boat but I can't remember if she actually bought one - though her avatar shows "Water Wanderer" as her boat's name.

6 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Matches the description for builder/engine/portholes and being gas free. Helluva price increase if it was on the market for ~40k

Thanks for confirming, I'm going to walk away. I know that the current demand for boats is high (not sure why with the current economic doom and gloom, maybe a topic on it own if not already done) but nearly £60k for a 20 year old boat seemed very expensive and to find out it's asking price when last sold 6 years ago was £20k less confirms my decision. Not sure what's going on, maybe put it on for a silly price just to see if there were any takers but not sure it will do their reputation any good if a buyer found out the true value at a later date or am I missing something? 

1 hour ago, BrandyMark said:

Thanks for confirming, I'm going to walk away. I know that the current demand for boats is high (not sure why with the current economic doom and gloom, maybe a topic on it own if not already done) but nearly £60k for a 20 year old boat seemed very expensive and to find out it's asking price when last sold 6 years ago was £20k less confirms my decision. Not sure what's going on, maybe put it on for a silly price just to see if there were any takers but not sure it will do their reputation any good if a buyer found out the true value at a later date or am I missing something? 

Has any expensive work been done in the meantime such as replacement engine, top notch repaint etc?

That could account for some of the price increase. Boats have increased in value over the last six years but not by 50%.