Long Winter Evenings

Neil2

Featured Posts

Learning an instrument is a great idea but think you'd best avoid drums, the trumpet and bagpipes !

As it happens, I liveaboard and play the bagpipes, always gets a cheer when I pipe my way past the visitor moorings! (probably wouldn't at midnight though!)

As it happens, I liveaboard and play the bagpipes, always gets a cheer when I pipe my way past the visitor moorings! (probably wouldn't at midnight though!)

Are they glad you are leaving?

I posed this question on another thread just as it was running out of steam so didn't get much response. thought I'd try again over here.

I can see a time in another few years when we might spend the whole year on board. The weather doesn't concern me at all, one thing that does bother me slightly though is how to get through the long evenings once the clocks go back in October.

So I wonder how folks who already live aboard full time while away the dark evenings or do you just go to the pub?

I do the same as in summer but fall over more because visibility isn't so good. In terms of work on the boat I tend to do inside jobs rather than outside jobs.

I do the same as in summer but fall over more because visibility isn't so good. In terms of work on the boat I tend to do inside jobs rather than outside jobs.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Wow Bones - was thinking of you the other day whilst reading a tread about people who have either left the forum or no longer post - really nice to see you back clapping.gif

DSC_02712_zpso7p4frps.jpg

I am fortunate in having a woodturning lathe in my garage so I spend winter evenings creating stuff from waste wood. In this case I used two table legs and an offcut from a kitchen worktop.

That is beautiful- I have some beeswax candles that would look good in the holders- Do you sell any of your work?

Woodstock. I haven't ever sold any thing I have made.I give them away to family and friends and my wife uses some for pressies. If I get a commission I have been known to suggest delivery one evening in the pub! It's more fun and very socialable working these days for no financial gain. I've had more than four decades working!

• Greenie 1

DSC_02712_zpso7p4frps.jpg

I am fortunate in having a woodturning lathe in my garage so I spend winter evenings creating stuff from waste wood. In this case I used two table legs and an offcut from a kitchen worktop.

Crikey - you have a garage on your boat????

This helps

DSC_0079.jpgw

Nostalgia; just like my Mum would serve up in the 1950s when meat was rationed, beef was cheaper than chicken, lamb came from New Zealand and wild rabbit earned a bounty (9d?) for the cost of the shotgun cartridge. Followed by a slice or two of of suet pudding boiled in a cloth. Spotted Dick or Treacle Sponge (actually Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup) smothered in Birds Eye (cornflour) custard.

It seems that many young families diets consist of expensive take-away and ready meals, even instant noodles. Phyllis is exceptional.