Waterways Accident Enquiry

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/probe-launched-into-ferry-crash-30729746.html

Someone needs some 'driving lessons'.

09 November 2014

An investigation will look into how a ferry carrying 320 passengers hit a harbour wall as it made its way into the English Channel.

Four people were taken to hospital with minor injuries after passengers and crew were evacuated from the Dover Seaways ship which hit the dock as it left the harbour for the 8am crossing to Dunkirk today, Port of Dover officials confirmed.

we did dover-calais recently and looking out the window i noticed one of the huge dockside shock absorbers the ferries moor against was broken, sitting on the hardstanding beside the mooring bollards. It had obviously been knocked out of place then craned out of the water afterwards. Must have been a bit of a whack.

Maybe it was this incident?

Edite for trypo

Just re-reading probably wasn't that one as we were not in the DeLorean :rolleyes:

Worrying

Edited by magnetman

A proper boater does NOT need a bowthruster, stern thruster, side thruster or any other thruster

:stop:

Quite right, and while were at it these nancy boy engines, electric lights ang gas stoves have been the downfall of traditional boating skills.

Howard

Edited by howardang

I've always thought Dover is an awkward place to turn a ship round, just like any other boat, a puff of wind and things start to come undone, I think I'm right in saying that at Dunkirk there is a tug stationed there to assist ferries in turning, perhaps there should be one at Dover.

A proper boater does NOT need a bowthruster, stern thruster, side thruster or any other thruster

:stop:

Having seen the crews slowly spin those big ro ro ferries around on a good many occasions now I'd like to know how they could do it without a 'girlie' button.

It would be nigh on impossible given the size these things are now and the space (lack of) they are required to move in. Years ago when the ferries were much smaller, maybe so, but not now.

Edited by The Dog House

maybe its a sign of the channel tunnel gradually taking over

Its blatantly more convenient and ferry operators must be taking cost cutting measures. We went on the Pride of Burgundy P&O a couple of weeks ago - rust stains round all the windows :(

maybe its a sign of the channel tunnel gradually taking over

Its blatantly more convenient and ferry operators must be taking cost cutting measures. We went on the Pride of Burgundy P&O a couple of weeks ago - rust stains round all the windows sad.png

Time to re-name it "SHAME OF BURGUNDY" then eh?!

:)

MtB

Makes you wonder what else isn't being maintained though doesn't it....

It's superficial stuff surely.

They sail in salty water.

I'd rather they spend money on the safety stuff than painting the window frames with a bit of Dulux weather shield.

It seems quite likely that the impact was caused by mechanical failure to me. I really can't imagine the master of the ship didn't notice it or wasn't paying attention.

Maybe the rusty windows really ARE indicative of deeper maintenance problems. Or was that a different ship?

MtB

I've always thought Dover is an awkward place to turn a ship round, just like any other boat, a puff of wind and things start to come undone, I think I'm right in saying that at Dunkirk there is a tug stationed there to assist ferries in turning, perhaps there should be one at Dover.

I think you will find there is more than one tug at Dover ?????

It seems quite likely that the impact was caused by mechanical failure to me. I really can't imagine the master of the ship didn't notice it or wasn't paying attention.

Maybe the rusty windows really ARE indicative of deeper maintenance problems. Or was that a different ship?

MtB

That is a different ferry.

The Pride of Burgundy is not operated by DFDS.

She is operated by P&O.

'Pride of.......' commonly preceding their ferry names being the clue.

Edited by The Dog House

The tugs at Dover always seem to be tied up when I am there, the one at Dunkirk (on a windy day) was actually fussing around the ferry just in case, I thought of offering my services if the captain got into trouble but he seemed to have got the hang of it quite well and I didn't want to embarrass him.

Some fifteen years ago we were on the P & O ferry from Cherbourg to Portsmouth, which left the harbour in a high wind. The captain made three abortive attempt to turn the ferry before suceedeing,and managed to hit five other moored ships in the process.

No one was injured as a consequence, but a high proportion of the passengers and crew were sick during the very rough passage to Portsmouth. Not a pleasant experience!!

Having seen the crews slowly spin those big ro ro ferries around on a good many occasions now I'd like to know how they could do it without a 'girlie' button.

It would be nigh on impossible given the size these things are now and the space (lack of) they are required to move in. Years ago when the ferries were much smaller, maybe so, but not now.

In years gone by some ferries were fitted with bow rudders, and at Dover they turned round just outside entrance when weather permitted. They then were able to go to the berth stern-first, sometimes at quite a speed, but under control.

Howard

Edited by howardang