BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

So, if the shedload of points up the Titford Canal are not available this year..............................

A question.

If we start at a junction where two of the routes are 2 x bonus and the third is a 3 x, if we start from there, cruise one of the 2 x routes, then return and cruise the 3 x route can we still claim the 7 point starting bonus?

SAM

Red Wharf, moored behind Vox Stellarum near the Blue Bell

I think this came up before, and I scratched my head a bit but decided that since its impossible to moor "on" a junction (ok not impossible but you'd need to anchor in the middle of the junction...) you'd be forced to start on one or other of the 3 (or 4) arms of the junction. To get the bonus you'd need to be on the 3x earning one (possibly a few yards on it), head towards the junction and turn then cruise the entirity of the section. OR reverse into the junction then set off thus cruising the whole route, not the route minus a few yards. I've just looked at the rules again, it says you need to start on the 3x section and cruise the entire section, but it doesn't say WHEN you need to do it - ie it doesn't say you must cruise THAT bit of canal immediately, having started on THAT bit of canal.

So I think the answer is YES.

It would make sense on thinking about why the rule/bonus was put in - to encourage us to start (and/or moor up) in some of the lesser used areas rather than everyone starting from a few common and well known places. So I'd say for logistical/route planning reasons, doing the 2x bit then coming back to do the 3x bit is fair enough.

Obviously there's a few yards of unclaimiable cruising because you'd need to moor on a canal away from the junction etc but its 7 points for a few minutes reversing/turning.

Make sense?????

Team Dotterel now has an additional crew member. Rebecca. We have left Calcutt and are now just south of Leamington. I have fired my route planner after she said 'let's wing it'. Wooden spoon here we come. Cheers Graham

Sorry the "let's wing it" plan has been claimed by team Monkey, find your own plan :)

Team GUELROSE will also be taking part, crewed by Mike, Victor, Rosewood, Nobby, Wobblers and Tom..... See you all over the weekend, hopefully going in the opposite direction to us!!

Team Tawny Owl MILLIE, RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairy, Moominpapa, Moominmama, Anne the cabin girl, Robert the Geek, Ange, Davel

Birdseyes Crew The Captain, Mrs. Birdseye, Sarah, Joe the Cabin Boy, Wrinkles Lea and Yvonne

Team Telford TELFORD THE DOG (Woof), Keeping Up, Pingu
Team Poppycock Nine of Hearts (honorary cat), Jo, Odana, Black Beauty
Team HALSALL. Junior, Rob M and Captain Fizz Rain stops play
Old Fiends Matty40s, Kathleeen Bridget, Kiwimum, Kiwiwidad
Team Red Wharf Victor Vector, Little Else, Madcat
Team Monkee TreeMonkey, Starcoaster, P6Rob, Dyad
Clarrie Laurie B
Denry BELLA BASSETT, paul_c, littleduck!
Team Firefly, john6767, Sally, Barry, Caroline
Team Diesel & Dust MARS, SNOOP, Tom & Becky (Tom and Bex), Jack, Kat, Steve, and Sam
NUNEATON & BRIGHTON Barry Adams, Oakie, Narrow Boat Trust members
Team Carpe Vinum Daz, Mrs Daz, 2 Daughters, L.B.B. Bag
Team Beau CASSIE, Captain Dave_P, First Mate Louise, Alys the Author
Changing Pace WILLOW, EVA, ZAK Dave, Louise
Team Dotterel - Graham , Tom, Claire, Chris, Rebecca
Clover m589, sarahavfc, Daniel.
Dove Dove
Goliath DMR, Gillie
Crane Geoff Bailey, Trev, Rob, Tom, Jim, Dave Moore
Notos Brumsaint (John), Josie + Pip
Team Pykes PYXE, Bossy Pykey (Water Warrior), Mr Gadget, Nutty Pykey, Wardrobe, Barney, Rosie
GUELROSE Mike, Victor, Rosewood, Nobby, Wobblers and Tom
any other boat dogs, cats, gerbils etc.?
Richard
Edited by RLWP

So, if the shedload of points up the Titford Canal are not available this year..............................

A question.

If we start at a junction where two of the routes are 2 x bonus and the third is a 3 x, if we start from there, cruise one of the 2 x routes, then return and cruise the 3 x route can we still claim the 7 point starting bonus?

SAM

I would also say that you can't have the bonus but doing that. Anyway what is 7 points when you have lost 50 for Titford. I was looking forward to having a go at the pools as well.

BTW, and my real reason for replying, guess which boat is at the front of the ones in front of you? If I can get up, should be a 7AM start into Birmingham tomorrow.

I'm now manning the challenge Twitter feed in earnest.

Tweet dierctly to @BCNChallenge, and use hashtag #BCNChallenge.

Any tweeting teams please add it if you haven't already!

I have just changed the avatar photo to the classic of Cath Fincher. biggrin.png

Edited by Starcoaster

A question.

SAM

I asked the same question relating to a potential starting bonus at Pelsall followed by going to Grove Colliery Basin first and then to Birchills; Roy responded that this was not possible, saying "if you start at Pelsall Junction you would need to go to Birchills Junction to qualify for the 7 point starting bonus"

;-) after entertaining fellow train travellers at Northampton train station, with my singing :-B

'nutty Pyke'.....aka Moi ;-) is on route to Brum, to commence cooking and pyke catching..:-)

• Greenie 1

This third of Team Red Wharf is stuck in Guernsey untill tomorrow tea time thanks to Flybe's reservation system. I can't change my ticket on line as the office made the booking, they have closed their desk at the airport and the telephone line for reservations has been engaged for an hour. Hey ho.