BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Entry forms sent off Friday. Hopefully we'll be mooring a bit nearer the BCN by then as well. All our crew (Jack, Kat, Steve, Becky and and me) looking forward to the challenge - just one request from them, can we have the same weather as 2013 please!

Just need Richard to get our engine sorted and we can save a fortune on oil compared to last time! If not we might not be very competitive this year.

I don't know why, but when people ask what we're doing and where we're going for our 10th wedding anniversary, we get funny looks and they quietly walk away as we tell them the BCN!

Tom

I don't know why, but when people ask what we're doing and where we're going for our 10th wedding anniversary, we get funny looks and they quietly walk away as we tell them the BCN!

Tom

Me: "I'm taking my wife on a cruise"

Random, non boating friend: "Oh how lovely! Where are you going?"

Me: "Birmingham!"

laugh.png

Hoping to be able to make it - every Challenge needs its retired greyhounds and with regular hound boat and Challenge veteran Indigo Dream off up North, it falls to us to fly the flag. Sadly, at 40 feet and with an OH that's allergic to locks, long days and early starts, we will not be emulating the stellar performances of previous years - in fact, I was just thinking the other day that we were lacking a wooden spoon, but I appreciate the competition at that end may be just too intense.

Which weekend is it on next year ??

From BCNS Web Site:

http://www.bcnsociety.co.uk/

Saturday 23 May 2015 - Sunday 24 May 2015 BCNS 24 hour Marathon Challenge 2015

Start planning your routes now - start anywhere on the BCN that you wish, and finish at the C&RT Bradley Workshop at 14:00 on the Sunday.

The event is open to everyone with a boat licensed for use on British Waterways canals. Historic working boats and pairs are welcome.

A friendly competition, starting at 08:00 on 24 May, wherever on the BCNS you want to start, and finishing at 14:00 on 25 May at Bradley Workshops with a compulsory 6 hours rest.

The winner is determined by a point system, with extra points for full length boats, buttes, small crews, cruising the lesser traveled parts of the BCN.

The information & rules for 2014 are on this link, and will be updated soon. (The rules change slightly between years, but the broad principles remain unaltered). An entry form will be available at the same time.

Splendid!

Thats team 'Red Wharf' sorted then.

smile.png

Fun? FUN!!

Good heavens woman, you don't think we do things like the BCN Challenge for fun do you?

wink.png

Well I certainly am, as it will be my birthday week end!I also intend to celebrate for a change as well, as a woman I can multi task!

Edited by pykebird

Looking at the points shown by team size, it says:

Single Handed with no remote control and no lock crew 1 bonus point per 2 locks
Single Handed with remote control but no lock crew 1 bonus point per 4 locks
What do they mean by with/without remote control?!

There is a device you can buy, or make yourself, so a narrowboat can be radio controlled , like a model boat might be (steering, direction forwards/backwards, throttle position).

We've trained our puppy to jump up at the throttle lever on command, however the results aren't 100% successful so far.

Wasn't there a guy who used to attend BCN rally's with his remote controlled boat. I have sme vague recollection of it.

It all went horribly wrong, and his remote controlled boat ended up attending a rally without him!

• Greenie 1

Sarah

You may be thinking of Edwin Fasham and his boat Ferrous, I know he had some sort of remote control system at one time. The Fasham family are long time boaters, Edwin was one of the sons I remember from the 60s. In those days they had Dart, ex Thos Clayton. They were mates of Malcolm.

I last saw Ferrous at the Stourbridge do recently, Edwin is still around, an excellent engineer!

Dave

complete with an extensive collection of ladies underwear. In particular I remember the leopard-skin panties! Fortunately it was Jeff's turn down the weed hatch!

It will be interesting to see your 2015 cruising attire then.clapping.gif

I am entering Old Friends following the sound advice of my other 'arf, if I have to work somewhere I will just not turn up ignominously!!

But it's my Birfday weekend and you all know how I enjoyed it last year.cheers.gif