The end of the One Plan from Three

Alanji

Featured Posts

That's an interesting scenario, and in fact I can think of lots of other situations where just having one data connection is a considerable weakness. Hence, for a number of years I've always made sure I have some kind of "backup" data connectivity available, for example nowadays I can access internet and emails on my phone, and previously I've had Mi-Fi and ADSL; or ADSL at home and free reign of an internet connection at work.

I'm sure most people setting it up have an alternative connection, otherwise EE would have noticed the problem. In my case I was moored outside the Ferryboat at Bablock Hythe, and the EE signal there is just about OK, the O2 signal for my phone (the only alternative I had) required a lot of coaxing to reply to one email......

MP.

Yes looking at http headers is not possible with a VPN, and I doubt that anyone would do that, not all traffic is http, and that would be a relatively compute intensive thing to do. Looking at the tcp/ip packets is much more simple, and using a VPN does not change that, but what I think you are saying is to use the VPN on the phone to pass that tethered data rather than as you usually do run a VPN from the tethered device. So I can see that would work in theory but not sure if you can set the phone router up to do that can you? I know you can use the phone as a VPN client, but can you use that in conjunction with tethering?

Phone tethers do NAT, so a VPN which terminates on the phone generates packets whose source address is the IP address of the phone, and a VPN which terminates on a tethered device does exactly the same, as far as the network can see. The same is true for any TCP connection, which is why the phone companies are forced to do the nasty deep-packet-inspection to try and find evidence of tethering at higher levels of the network stack, in http headers, for instance. Using a VPN precludes the DPI and makes tethering practically undetectable.

MP.

Phone tethers do NAT, so a VPN which terminates on the phone generates packets whose source address is the IP address of the phone, and a VPN which terminates on a tethered device does exactly the same, as far as the network can see. The same is true for any TCP connection, which is why the phone companies are forced to do the nasty deep-packet-inspection to try and find evidence of tethering at higher levels of the network stack, in http headers, for instance. Using a VPN precludes the DPI and makes tethering practically undetectable.

MP.

I think you are right, I am probably going to have to try it to prove it works I guess, never tried using a VPN client on the phone I always run it on a laptop.

No it is from June 2015.

The telecoms watchdog said that from June 2015, "freephone will mean free" for 0800, 0808 and 116 numbers – which at present are free only when used in a landline, and which cost mobile phone users between 14p and 40p a minute.

from here: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/12/ofcom-free-0800-mobile-telecoms-overhaul

But until then if you dial 03335558800 then the freephone number then # it will connect.............0800 Buster

I'm on the One Plan which went out of contract in the summer - I've ignored loads of 0800 calls which presumably are from their sales team offering me a "better" contract.

I haven't received a text from 3 and I'm keeping my head down and hoping that they're targeting high users and will leave everyone else alone. I reckon we use roughly 15-20gb per month.

I'd be interested to know the estimated usage from those that have received texts to see if this adds any weight to my theory.

I will advise if we get the dreaded text message.

I can see us moving away from tethering anyway - the main thing we need the unlimited for is downloading / live streaming TV and you can comfortably watch a TV programme on my new phone. It's not as good as watching it on the lappy but it does the job,

You're all doing better than me. I have a Vodafone contract at £19/month for 3gb. Even though it's a relatively paltry allowance, nonetheless, Vodafone are insisting that I 'improve' my service by swopping to their £24/month for 2gb. They seem surprised when I say no; apparently my modem shouldn't still be working and hence I need the new one that comes with the new 'improved' service.

BTW, is anyone else experiencing very poor levels of internet access on their phones? My phone is an elderly S3 and I rarely get any connectivity on it, let alone enough to tether my iPad.

Edited by wrigglefingers

BTW, is anyone else experiencing very poor levels of internet access on their phones? My phone is an elderly S3 and I rarely get any connectivity on it, let alone enough to tether my iPad.

I suspect the magic word in your problem is "Vodafone".

I managed to get myself locked into a 2 year contract with Carphone Warehouse on their "TalkMobile" tariff, which is actually using the Vodafone network.

It was fairly useless for phone calls, and exceedingly useless for mobile Internet, (I didn't act quickly enough to cancel it in the first two weeks). Cath is on a tariff that is actually underpinned by O2, and it always worked better than my Vodafone at nearly any location we tried it. I can't actually think of anywhere that Vodafone was OK, where O2 was not.

Now I'm on '3', and my impression is it is usually better than Cath's O2, (though at our home address '3' doesn't work - a pain, as I could use the masses of minutes I have on the mobile and hence not be paying to make land-line calls).

I have never tried EE, so I can't comment on that.

Independent reviews I have read seem to consistently place Vodafone bottom of the pile for coverage, both on phone, and on Internet. I really don't know how they get away with still being (I assume) probably one of the biggest with business users.

My advice, (particularly for canal based use), is get off of Vodafone - I found it consistently crap.

Now I'm on '3', and my impression is it is usually better than Cath's O2, (though at our home address '3' doesn't work - a pain, as I could use the masses of minutes I have on the mobile and hence not be paying to make land-line calls).

ISTR Three do a 'Wifi calls' app or something like that.

Failing that maybe worth looking at a VOIP provider like Localphone, takes a bit of setting up but not tooo bad.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

The App I have previously mention is names 'Three in Touch' if there's a poor signal this app cuts in and you get a signal. If the signal is okay, it sits in the corner of the room and becomes a conversation piece. Or summat like that.

Martyn

I haven't received a text from 3 and I'm keeping my head down and hoping that they're targeting high users and will leave everyone else alone. I reckon we use roughly 15-20gb per month.

I'd be interested to know the estimated usage from those that have received texts to see if this adds any weight to my theory.

I will advise if we get the dreaded text message.

Sorry Ange, I don't use as much as that and started this thread because I received the text. I think they are rolling it out to those on monthly contracts or where the initial contract has expired.

I think I will be going for a lower phone plan as I don't use many minutes or texts and add the wifi at £15 for 10gb. I'll leave it a little while though and negotiate for a discount as it will be less than I get at the moment for a higher price.

I've also got this sms from them; "Hello. We need to speak to you about changes to your plan. Please contact us free on 08003583429 to speak to our dedicated team." So it appears to be free from a 3 phone.

From the discussions you linked to above it seems that the unlimited tethering is going to be taken away and we're going to be forced off 3 or onto another (more expensive and limited) plan.....

I won't be contacting them - I'll wait for them to properly notify me of changes. But has anyone got other exant plans that allow for 100Gb/mth of tethering?

Not tethering, no. We could never use 3 for work, despite having tried, because of the throttling, it's too slow. We used Vodafone for years, but it became unusable when they pulled down the factory which had had a mast on the roof. So I tried EE 4g. I opened a business account with them. We use a lot of data for work, so we started out last year paying £25 for 8GB and using another PAYG EE sim to buy any extra data at £30 for 10gb (because topping up the contract was more expensive than for the PAYG sim. Confused? I was. Anyway, I noticed a plan 50gb for £50 a month. Rang EE, got nowhere, they told me it didn't exist.

Went into a store and asked there and they said it's not for new business customers, only existing ones and only if you ask. And they sold me it and it's great, no throttling.

I note the other providers out there that are claiming to sell unlimited (Lebara is one), you only get 4g for the first 10gb of data, then it's throttled to 2g speed.

So I think this EE plan that we have might be the only high user/none throttled 4g plan out there for now.

I agree with what others say, the services appear oversubscribed. I find I can't actually get much of a service at all when I go into central London, I guess too many users.

I suspect the magic word in your problem is "Vodafone".

I managed to get myself locked into a 2 year contract with Carphone Warehouse on their "TalkMobile" tariff, which is actually using the Vodafone network.

It was fairly useless for phone calls, and exceedingly useless for mobile Internet, (I didn't act quickly enough to cancel it in the first two weeks). Cath is on a tariff that is actually underpinned by O2, and it always worked better than my Vodafone at nearly any location we tried it. I can't actually think of anywhere that Vodafone was OK, where O2 was not.

I have never tried EE, so I can't comment on that.

Independent reviews I have read seem to consistently place Vodafone bottom of the pile for coverage, both on phone, and on Internet. I really don't know how they get away with still being (I assume) probably one of the biggest with business users.

My advice, (particularly for canal based use), is get off of Vodafone - I found it consistently crap.

If you have broadband at home, why not use the "Three in Touch" App on your phone, that lets you make calls and send texts etc as your 3 account, but over VoIP, so you don't actually need a signal from Three to use all those minutes and texts! You can of course use if from abroad on hotel WiFi etc as well, which is useful. There is a similar App for BT landlines called "BT Smart Talk", again that lets you make VoIP calls from anywhere as though you were making them from your BT landline phone, again useful from abroad.

Unfortunately we don't offer All-you-can-eat data plans for mobile broadband - and it isn't possible to use an All-you-can-eat SIM in a mobile broadband device without incurring additional charges. However, if you are already a customer who has The One Plan SIM-Only deal, you get to keep your unlimited tethering as long as you don't move to another plan.

This passage copied today from three web site. So not sure why people are getting texts unless not on this plan or have changed contract in some way.

Unfortunately we don't offer All-you-can-eat data plans for mobile broadband - and it isn't possible to use an All-you-can-eat SIM in a mobile broadband device without incurring additional charges. However, if you are already a customer who has The One Plan SIM-Only deal, you get to keep your unlimited tethering as long as you don't move to another plan.

This passage copied today from three web site. So not sure why people are getting texts unless not on this plan or have changed contract in some way.

Three website roday :

Tethering - this is where you use your phone as a personal wifi hotspot. You still get 2GB a month on our mobile plans, and on The One Plan SIM-Only it's completely unlimited.

http://www.three-clearance.co.uk/three-clearance-all-you-can-eat-data.html

Thanks for these enlightenments guys! It's been my experience that well meaning folks in shops don't necessarily have a full grasp on their products, so I'm now even more optimistic that my One Plan might continue unaltered when I reach the end of year 1. Fingers crossed!

I've received the text I don't use more than 15-20gb per month and have had a contract with 3 for about 4 years. I am waiting to see what happens

Regards kris

Sorry Ange, I don't use as much as that and started this thread because I received the text. I think they are rolling it out to those on monthly contracts or where the initial contract has expired.

I think I will be going for a lower phone plan as I don't use many minutes or texts and add the wifi at £15 for 10gb. I'll leave it a little while though and negotiate for a discount as it will be less than I get at the moment for a higher price.

Ah thanks guys - that blows my theory out of the water anyway!

I've been out of contract since July or August (can't remember exactly) and haven't had a text, so it looks like I've just been lucky.

I took a bit of a gamble a couple of weeks ago and bought a new phone, which will turn out to be very unwise if I lose my One Plan in the near future because a SIM only option would be much cheaper monthly or I could get a free phone if I renewed under new terms.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I stay under the radar!

Edit just read that back - if they do take it away I can still go for the cheaper SIM only option - doh!

Edited by Ange

Edit just read that back - if they do take it away I can still go for the cheaper SIM only option - doh!

If you change your contract in any way, you lose The One Plan. My contract ends in January. I'm paying £31 a month for a phone and The One Plan. My decision will be whether to keep paying £31 for The One Plan, or lose it and move back to Giffgaff on a 5Gb a month deal.

If you change your contract in any way, you lose The One Plan. My contract ends in January. I'm paying £31 a month for a phone and The One Plan. My decision will be whether to keep paying £31 for The One Plan, or lose it and move back to Giffgaff on a 5Gb a month deal.

I know - the option of changing was only if they take the One Plan away from me.

My hope is that if I keep quiet I can keep it :)

Just keep your head down and not go for a new contract.

I am with EE and its previous incarnations for the last 20++ years and have only renewed contracts when the deal available was better.

The last time I renewed because more data for less cost was available, they advertised an improved deal a month later,one phone call and they were happy to move me again to the better deal.

I have now got more phone, text, data and extra data on mobile broadband for less per month. smile.pngsmile.png

ps. They told me that when your contract is finished you just go onto a 'rolling contract' until you change it. So don't jump, unless you can find better.

There's enough to satify everyone's need but not to satisfy everyone's greed.

Obvious to me even if not to you.

I use data without worrying about it, including Skype and it pisses me off that Three are having to curtail this because people behave in an utterly selfish way.

It's not every day that I support the Dog, but he is completely right on this. If a company offers unlimited data, then that is what they should supply. It's not selfish to demand that they deliver on their promise. After all, they have been doing this for a number of years, and it clearly DOES work for them, even if a few people do use rather a lot.

What has gone wrong for them is that they have not been able to keep up with demand, so have been trying to throttle it by not signing up new people. If the demand is such that they think people are prepared to pay more, then they are of course entitled to raise prices when contracts come to an end.

As somebody else mentioned, what we really need is for them to stop this nonsense of fixed payments, and charge by consumption - as with water, electricity, gas etc. The real villain here is the utterly useless regulator, who should force them to do that.

The mobile phone/data market is the biggest rip-off in Britain.

Is there any further evidence that 3 are going to cease the package ?

I have been on the Sim-Only package for about 18 month's and use between 15 and 20gig per month (tethered). I have not received any notification or message that it is changing.

I know many people on the same package (I have actually introduced about half-a-dozen to it) and none of them have had any notification ?

Was it a wind up ?

It isn't the Sim-Only plan that is affected, it is the with mobile phone contract apparently.

I have been receiving daily or more calls from 0800 358 1601 for two weeks now-it is a 3 call centre. I have missed every call.....

Edited by matty40s