The end of the One Plan from Three

Alanji

Featured Posts

Anyone else get this message:

"Hello. We need to speak to you about changes to your plan. Please contact us free on 08003583429 to speak to our dedicated team."

Checking on other forums one plan users (not sure about those on 12 month contracts) will be switched to another (more expensive) plan on 5 January, if they have not chosen another plan by then, with a 4gb tethering cap. This was muted on here a few months ago.

Bloody cheeky asking you to phone them at 35ppm to hold fo an hour only to be told they are making negative changes to your account frusty.gif I will wait a while to see what develops.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75490222

http://www.hotukdeals.com/ask/three-one-plan-changes-2042209

I do not have a landline but there are several numbers to use on a mobile to make it free (within your allowance) eg 0333 555 8800. But this was 3 sending me a text on my mobile asking me to phone. The unsuspecting might just dial the number!

I've also got this sms from them; "Hello. We need to speak to you about changes to your plan. Please contact us free on 08003583429 to speak to our dedicated team." So it appears to be free from a 3 phone.

From the discussions you linked to above it seems that the unlimited tethering is going to be taken away and we're going to be forced off 3 or onto another (more expensive and limited) plan.....

I won't be contacting them - I'll wait for them to properly notify me of changes. But has anyone got other exant plans that allow for 100Gb/mth of tethering?

I've also got this sms from them; "Hello. We need to speak to you about changes to your plan. Please contact us free on 08003583429 to speak to our dedicated team." So it appears to be free from a 3 phone.

Certainly it is free on new contracts and ones taken out relatively recently but I think it depends when your contract with them started as to whether calls to 0800 numbers are free I would say.

If I was the OP I would ring 333 from his phone to check first (calls to 333 from a three phone ARE free), or check a bill which will show if calls to 0800 numbers appear as a charged for call. (assuming he's made one of course)

Edited by The Dog House

I'm fairly sure when I took out a Three Plan this summer that it was made clear to me that 0800 numbers are charged on that particular plan, and not included in your minutes allowance.

If I had taken out a Three contract that included a phone, my memory is that an advertising point was that 0800 numbers were free, but on my SIM Only Three Plan my memory is that it was specifically pointed out it doesn't apply.

No it is from June 2015.

The telecoms watchdog said that from June 2015, "freephone will mean free" for 0800, 0808 and 116 numbers – which at present are free only when used in a landline, and which cost mobile phone users between 14p and 40p a minute.

from here: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/12/ofcom-free-0800-mobile-telecoms-overhaul

No it is from June 2015.

The telecoms watchdog said that from June 2015, "freephone will mean free" for 0800, 0808 and 116 numbers – which at present are free only when used in a landline, and which cost mobile phone users between 14p and 40p a minute.

from here: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/12/ofcom-free-0800-mobile-telecoms-overhaul

Thanks for posting that link. I have been looking for clarification.

bottle, on 05 Nov 2014 - 2:17 PM, said:bottle, on 05 Nov 2014 - 2:17 PM, said:

No it is from June 2015.

That' bit highlighted by me is not strictly accurate however as some providers are already starting to provide calls to 0800 numbers free. I switched to a Pay Monthly SIM only 30 day rolling contract with Virgin Mobile when my contract with 3 finished last month and I get calls to 0800/0845/0870/0808 numbers free already. And Three do it too now on certain plans.

Edited by The Dog House

Note the date of the article and then it was true, unless you have other proof. wink.png

Note: i will admit that I did not say it was a quote but... from here: http://www.theguardi...lecoms-overhaul I think gives a clue.

Ah right I had assumed it was a more up to date piece (didn't check the date).

I can't remember when Three started doing it but yes I think it was after Dec last year. Not sure when Virgin started either.

I changed to 3 in July. I took the One Plan. I knew that there were changes coming so I asked direct questions of two members of their team. One was the branch manager or at least a supervisor.

I asked will I have unlimited tethering? Yes! Will I have slow downs at three o'clock everyday? No,never! Will I have the same deal after my twelve months are up? Yes,of course it will run month to month there after! Will I actually be able to run on after my twelve months is up? Yes! Will the cost escalate so I can't afford to continue? Not really. It may have the normal annual % increase, but unlikely!

I asked more questions and got positive answers. They were getting a bit hacked off with me. I was in my boat cruising outfit, so maybe thought I was done sort of eccentric tramp or a mystery shopper.

Anyway okay so far. They did mention at one time that there were changes coming,but for monthly sims. I mentioned it at the time on here I believe.

I actually think there will be another similar deal waiting in the wings. The One Plan will be hard to replace though.

Martyn.

Martyn

Last time I spoke with three a few months ago I was told that unless I changed the contract in some way my current terms would remain the same ie unlimited data and tethering allowed. I have not had a message to say otherwise.

I'm on an annual One Plan from 3 and my wife has just taken up a cheaper 3 tariff. Whilst arranging that last week, the guy in the shop told me that my One Plan would be revised when it came up for renewal with a 4Gb tethering limit being imposed. This is apparently because a very small number of users are kicking the ass out of the unlimited tethering. One wouldn't think it difficult to identify the excessive users and introduce a fair usage compromise for them rather than the rest of us having to suffer, but that's not unique to 3, is it. As for 0800 numbers, etc, they are included in their new plans, but are not included in older One Plans such as mine.

If I read Martyn above right, there's a glimmer of hope it won't affect the annual contract, but otherwise it looks like we won't be having older One Plans soon. Older One Plans also included a £5 discount iirc, so a so I'm expecting that also means we'll be paying more for the occasional 0800 call and a teathering cap. Oh well, it was good while it lasted!

So what, I wonder, is the situation if you have recently taken it out, so have much of your year's contract still to run?

Have I signed something somewhere that says they can arbitrarily switch me to something less, but they will not free me from my contract if I am then unhappy with what they give me instead?

Not impossible, I suppose!

Last time I spoke with three a few months ago I was told that unless I changed the contract in some way my current terms would remain the same ie unlimited data and tethering allowed. I have not had a message to say otherwise.

Ditto. To add, as I started my contract in July I am paying the increased monthy amount of twenty pounds. Maybe that covers the shortfall of the tethering. I'm on sim only.

I contacted then a couple of weeks ago saying the signal was cr,Sh,not very good.

Mysteriously I was introduced to an APP that allows a stronger signal somehow or other.

I will investigate and return with more details.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Has anyone on the "annual, £15/month, unlimited data tethering" had the message ?

Yes I have I've not rung them yet, I know they do a everything unlimited deal in Ireland for 37 euro so maybe it's just a cost increase. We'll see it'll be a shame if it's the end of the one plan. But I don't think they've been taking new customers on the unlimited data tethering deal for a while.

Regards kris

So what, I wonder, is the situation if you have recently taken it out, so have much of your year's contract still to run?

Have I signed something somewhere that says they can arbitrarily switch me to something less, but they will not free me from my contract if I am then unhappy with what they give me instead?

Not impossible, I suppose!

My guess and its only a guess is that no they can't within the minimum term of the contract... after that possibly anything goes yes.

I see that as the possible down side of the 30 day rolling contract I now have with Virgin in that the minimum term for both sides is only 30 days. I currently get unlimited calls texts and data for £18 pcm but I reckon they can change any of that including the cost by just giving me 30 days notice.

From the discussions you linked to above it seems that the unlimited tethering is going to be taken away and we're going to be forced off 3 or onto another (more expensive and limited) plan.....

I won't be contacting them - I'll wait for them to properly notify me of changes. But has anyone got other exant plans that allow for 100Gb/mth of tethering?

That makes you part of the problem. I won't be sorry if they cut your quota.

I asked will I have unlimited tethering? Yes! Will I have slow downs at three o'clock everyday? No,never! Will I have the same deal after my twelve months are up? Yes,of course it will run month to month there after! Will I actually be able to run on after my twelve months is up? Yes! Will the cost escalate so I can't afford to continue? Not really. It may have the normal annual % increase, but unlikely!

Given that this one is simply a lie it dont make me want to trust the rest of their answers.

Edited by Stephan H
  • Greenie 1

That makes you part of the problem. I won't be sorry if they cut your quota.

But if the user is allowed to do it within their contract why not if you can. It's not the users fault that 3 created an unsustainable usage allowance for so many users is it?

There's enough to satify everyone's need but not to satisfy everyone's greed.

Obvious to me even if not to you.

I use data without worrying about it, including Skype and it pisses me off that Three are having to curtail this because people behave in an utterly selfish way.