Hydrochloric Acid

Paul's Nulife4-2

Featured Posts

Hi Gang,

is there Any 'Chemical knowledge' people out there that can maybe shed some light on this question.

Will Hydrochloric Acid (in particular a product called 'Spirits of salt' 32%) Eat through Aluminum Alloy 5083 !.

Problem

I have an approximate run of 4meters from my loo to the Tank (Aluminum Alloy 5083) I can Rod approximately 1.5 metres from one end, & Just about 2mts from the other,The Middle being 'UN Rodable' due to a cpl of tight bends where it threads through some cupboards.

Guess where a solid core of limescale has chosen to build up over the last 7 years !.

100% sure, there is no No1s or No2s or any water in the pipe, and 100% sure it's a solid Plug of Limescale, but of unknown Thickness. As I taped a fork to a bit of hose pipe and

stabbed away at the blockage, bringing a bit of

debris back on the Tangs !.

My Tank is Empty and Clean, Ime thinking maybe fill with say 10 Lts of Bicarbonate of Soda Crystals, and can then Decanter the Acid & Bicarbonate solution into a container and despose as chemical waste at work, so that bit is easy,

Hence my question !.

Can anyone help, Anyone Help !.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjc6uih1jgroo9z/IMAG0596.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3jb7ei3x3nrq02/IMAG0597.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Can you replace the pipe entirely?

When ever I've seen heavy limescale build up, after all the removers/acids have been used, the only cure is new pipes.

I hope you don't mind when I visit, but I shall be eating with fingers rather than cutlery!

Whilest all is empty and clean, do the job properly.

Bod

So What are you trying to say By'eck,,Your not making yourself very clear ! (LOL clapping.gif ).

Thanks for that,

Geordie

Yes, it's 32%, But having seen the above Hmmmm.

Bod

When you come and visit you don't need Knife & Forks for Donuts !

Thanks guys, .

Replacing the pipe will be a NIGHTMARE !. An absolute Blinking nightmare.

When we had the urinals block up with limescale "Dyno-Rod" came with a wizzer on the end of a flexible steel 'rod' which attached to a drill - 2 minutes of wizzing and thrashing about and limescale demolished and pipe cleared. (No damage to plastic drain pipe)

You can hire them from Hire places.

Make sure you get some advice on this.

Aluminum normally has a very thin layer of Aluminum Oxide on it. The oxide can dissolve in HCl, but I don't know how fast or whether it needs some help (i.e. heating). If the HCl got through, it would meet unprotected Aluminum, which dissolves in HCl. Wikipedia says this:

Metallic aluminum also readily dissolves in Hydrochloric acid ─ releasing hydrogen gas and generating considerable heat.

You don't want to find out what they mean by "considerable heat" inside your boat smile.png

Edited by Gordias

Bag of Bones

AHH Nitric Acid, Now we are talking, Where can I get a gallon !, I've got loads of time, I've only got one more trip planned, and that's not until a (or rather if) weather window presents itself around the Beginning of December.

So thanks for a possible action.

Hi Gang,

is there Any 'Chemical knowledge' people out there that can maybe shed some light on this question.

Will Hydrochloric Acid (in particular a product called 'Spirits of salt' 32%) Eat through Aluminum Alloy 5083 !.

Problem

I have an approximate run of 4meters from my loo to the Tank (Aluminum Alloy 5083) I can Rod approximately 1.5 metres from one end, & Just about 2mts from the other,The Middle being 'UN Rodable' due to a cpl of tight bends where it threads through some cupboards.

Guess where a solid core of limescale has chosen to build up over the last 7 years !.

100% sure, there is no No1s or No2s or any water in the pipe, and 100% sure it's a solid Plug of Limescale, but of unknown Thickness. As I taped a fork to a bit of hose pipe and

stabbed away at the blockage, bringing a bit of

debris back on the Tangs !.

My Tank is Empty and Clean, Ime thinking maybe fill with say 10 Lts of Bicarbonate of Soda Crystals, and can then Decanter the Acid & Bicarbonate solution into a container and despose as chemical waste at work, so that bit is easy,

Hence my question !.

Can anyone help, Anyone Help !.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjc6uih1jgroo9z/IMAG0596.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3jb7ei3x3nrq02/IMAG0597.jpg?dl=0

Sodium bicarbonate is alkaline and will damage aluminium and its alloys.

If the limescale is as thick as you suggest, my experience with two similar blocked pies is that the acid won't touch it. You'll see lots of frothing, but that's all.

I had to change both pipes, (plastic not metal).

If you can't get at the existing pipe, perhaps you could cap it and fit a new run where you can get at it in another 7 years :)

Thanks Guys,,,

Yes I know you're probably right and I should replace the pipe (Leesan Plastic approx 60mm) But it will be a pig. So wanted to explore another options, I do like the sound of the Dyno Drill Whizzing thing though Alan !.

Guess what I will be doing this week !.

Bag of Bones

AHH Nitric Acid, Now we are talking, Where can I get a gallon !, I've got loads of time, I've only got one more trip planned, and that's not until a (or rather if) weather window presents itself around the Beginning of December.

So thanks for a possible action.

I acquired some pretty potent nitric from a company based in Hortonwood industrial park in Telford. I can't recall the name exactly - this was over 10 years ago! But a quick look on Google Earth brings up a company called Cal- Chem Ltd. which operates from the same place. To be honest they were not a 100% keen on selling to the general public - its nasty stuff when in high concentration - it was a case of being cheeky and explaining what I was going to use it for; which in my case was to burn out some snapped steel studs out of an aluminium fog light unit.

Try googling PCB chemical suppliers or plating companies in your local area.

Thanks B of B.

So

Options

1, Nitric Acid

2, Drill Whippy Whizzy Thingymajig

3, Replacing the Pipe

4, Converting to cassette !

Ahhh hahh hah, only jokeing about the cassette option !.

Seriously Thanks Guys.

Pictures, instructions etc

http://www.nationaltoolhireshops.co.uk/product-replaced/drain-cleaner-electric-for-hire/

I used every conceivable acid and chemical to get rid of limescale in a furred up heat exchanger from my gas boiler, not the slightest bit of difference, same with a Nissan micra radiator, wouldn't touch it, nitro glycerine is guaranteed to shift it but its kinda hard to get hold of. I would bite the bullet (wash your hands first) and re route some new pipe.

Yup limescale can be a bugger in pumpout pipes. The pipes on my previous boat got blocked and when I pulled them out to sort, I found there was only a hole the size of a pencil! No wonder the macerator was struggling. My solution was easy as the pipes were flexi sanitary hose and a good beating with a mallet did the trick. I made a point of doing this each year thereafter.

Phil