Coventry Victor WD3 stalling at higher rpm

juppiejo

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

This spring you guys really helped me out finding a gearbox for my Coventry Victor WD3. We've had a great summer with our boat: we made a lot of trips and the engine has been running great. The only thing is, when I run the engine at a higher speed, say 3/4, for a longer time, it stalls for a longer or short amount of time. Slowing down the engine for a while helps, but after a certain amount of time running at 3/4 it stalls again.

I cleaned the filters, fuel lines and injector, but the problem still appears. Do you have any idea what could help to solve this problem?

Hello everyone,

This spring you guys really helped me out finding a gearbox for my Coventry Victor WD3. We've had a great summer with our boat: we made a lot of trips and the engine has been running great. The only thing is, when I run the engine at a higher speed, say 3/4, for a longer time, it stalls for a longer or short amount of time. Slowing down the engine for a while helps, but after a certain amount of time running at 3/4 it stalls again.

I cleaned the filters, fuel lines and injector, but the problem still appears. Do you have any idea what could help to solve this problem?

How does air get into the fuel tank as the fuel is used? Could that be blocked? Try running with the filler cap removed or lose, and see if that helps. If it does, check if the breather is blocked.

MP.

Sounds like fuel starvation. One possibility you may not have exhausted if you have a lift pump, is to check for debris within reducing flow when needed. This solved a similar issue on my last boat. Disconnecting the pump revealed plenty of suction so it was initially discounted as the culprit, but on later disassembly a 1cm² lump of debris was found.

Could also also be muck in the the tank partially blocking the pick up pipe on high demand, then clearing when the engine stalls. May be worth rigging up a temporary fuel tank and testing it to rule out this problem, have come across this more than once before.

Thanks all, this gives a clear direction. Actually debris in the fuel tank might be a very good explanation: the water drain valve is clogged since a couple of weeks as well. I wasn't thinking of this because the fuel filter is always filled and not full with dirt. It will be quite a shitty job though, cleaning out the tank...

@moominpapa I don't suspect the air intake, it's a typical small hole in the brass filler cap, which is not blocked.

Again, thanks all, I'll keep you posted is this hasn't solved the problem.