That's it, cruising season over.

matty40s

Featured Posts

Well i wish we could just carry on cruising, due to solicitors cock ups we will not be picking boat up until end of Nov, we intended to spend the winter in the marina at Chirk to get what we need to do done. Not going to happen until the xmas break! as we will not get the boat out of Birmingham till after the 10th so stymied that way and the LLangollen is seething with stoppages all the way up this year...from the 3rd

Only plan Hatton to Stockton Top Marina crane out, truck up and crane in at Froncysyllte hope fully to slip in to Chirk just before Xmas, Still not as expensive as I anticipated.

My language has learnt a few more hews of purple

Edited by isatis

Well i wish we could just carry on cruising, due to solicitors cock ups we will not be picking boat up until end of Nov, we intended to spend the winter in the marina at Chirk to get what we need to do done. Not going to happen until the xmas break! as we will not get the boat out of Birmingham till after the 10th so stymied that way and the LLangollen is seething with stoppages all the way up this year...from the 3rd

Only plan Hatton to Stockton Top Marina crane out, truck up and crane in at Froncysyllte hope fully to slip in to Chirk just before Xmas, Still not as expensive as I anticipated.

My language has learnt a few more hews of purple

the Llan is at its best in the winter, the trip from From to Llan is just stunning on a frosty misty morning,

One part of me is saying I should return to the marina. The other part, (which is winning) is saying...nope....stay away for as long as possible....;-)

Putting in a second water tank was such a winner. It's been nice to cruise...moor...and re-laxxxxxxx

We love living out on the cut over winter - we escaped the marina we were moored in over the summer just as boats were arriving at a steady pace to be tucked away for the winter.

Much happier now :)

Some of the best cruising is on a cold crisp winters day, plenty of moorings to be found if you are on a journey, plus no hire boats to mess up your day.

We have hired in both November and Febuary before, we even got 'frozen in' very briefly at Newbold once and broke ice along much of the Coventry to get back to base on time.

I don't think all hire boaters go boating exclusively in the spring and summer. :)

The bit below Stoke Bruerne top lock has been known to flood, because a river feeds into it. Same at Alrewas on the T&M and where the river Cherwell enters the Southern Oxford canal. However as you have a wide beam, you won't be able to get to either of those places ;(

I think you mean the bottom lock, and its the River Tove - It has very cheap moorings on it.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

the Llan is at its best in the winter, the trip from From to Llan is just stunning on a frosty misty morning,

It's lovely, but my cruising is somewhat restricted as I'm on chirk marina and both tunnels are shut from today 'till Christmas. Had our last 2014 trip to Llan on the weekend and we were pretty much the only boat moving that wasn't a dayboat or the trip boat. All got a bit bit leafy, but the colours were lovely

Hijacking the thread a bit!!

When we were continuously cruising we liked to overwinter on the Llangollen and before the detractors start!! Never more than 3 or 4 days in one place!

Our favourite place for Xmas eve to Boxind day was blakemoor just short of Ellesmere big wide expance of the mere to look out over and plenty of squirrels to get rid of all those nuts we inevitably didn't get round to eating.

So if you are partial to winter cruising and you don't see the family over Xmas where is your favourite spot over Xmas/New Year??

Hijacking the thread a bit!!

When we were continuously cruising we liked to overwinter on the Llangollen and before the detractors start!! Never more than 3 or 4 days in one place!

Our favourite place for Xmas eve to Boxind day was blakemoor just short of Ellesmere big wide expance of the mere to look out over and plenty of squirrels to get rid of all those nuts we inevitably didn't get round to eating.

So if you are partial to winter cruising and you don't see the family over Xmas where is your favourite spot over Xmas/New Year??

Bardney Lock on the Witham.

Although this year we will be Saxilby instead due to prior arrangements rolleyes.gif

What's the Shropshire Union generally like in the off-season? I ask because I was at Barbridge on Sunday and was surprised at the number of boats on the move, although it could have been people going back to marinas, getting the right side of stoppages etc.

The Shroppie is awesome in closed season (sshhhhh!!). CRT get volunteers to go and take all the leaves off all those trees that block the views normally, and you can see the Welsh hills and all the other lovely scenery hidden from "normal" cruisers.

It was a beautiful cruising day today on the Thames...doing Teddington to Brentford tomorrow and back on the GU for the winter :0

Well we didn't make it to our 4th leg of our "first big cruise" being the Paddington & Regents Park canals, never mind we'll do that first thing next spring as soon as everything is open again :)

It was a beautiful cruising day today on the Thames...doing Teddington to Brentford tomorrow and back on the GU for the winter :0

Well we didn't make it to our 4th leg of our "first big cruise" being the Paddington & Regents Park canals, never mind we'll do that first thing next spring as soon as everything is open again smile.png

Shh.

Some of us are cooped in up offices this week looking out of the windows wishing we were out on our boats sad.png