Database

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

One of the biggest problems that I have as a continuous cruising liveaboard is that I am usually heading into unknown waters (relatively anyway) and sometimes it is difficult to know where it is safe to moor overnight (away from the effects of vandalism and other anti-social behaviour). I try to avoid towns whenever I can for overnight stops, but it is not always possible especially at the moment with short daylight hours.

I had a situation not so long ago where some late night club revellers thought it would be a good idea to jump off a bridge on to the roof of the boat at 2am and run up and down. They soon cleared off when challenged, but my beauty sleep was broken.

With so many forum readers, I just wonder if it is practical to set up a kind of notice board on this forum where any hotspots are posted by boaters with local knowledge of that particular navigation.

I'm sure we all know a particular area really well and could list on a count of the fingers, the places we wouldn't stop at.

If this is feasible, this could then be developed to add other points of interest (like out of action launderettes, lock stoppages that finish quicker than expected, useful shops and facilities close by the towpath, etc).

These are the kind of things not found in waterway guides and come from local knowledge.

Is it practical ?

well, not speaking for the admins here, but it is possible.

Over on Dawncraft owners i've just mooted a waterways facilities review forum divided by waterway. it'd be easier for moorings. The only problem would be in moderating it, but don't underestimate the potential work involved.

But i can only comment for DC owners, not Canalworld.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the best thing to do would be to start a thread (you are more than welcome to do this). If there is enough interest/contributions, then this could be developed into a section. Could it perhaps include details on moorings or pubs as well?

I don't have the time to put the content together, but if enough people contribute I don't mind putting the database together....

Moving to suggestions for the time being...

Jon