POACHER .. ( Bray's ?)

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Bit of a wild card this one, good friends of mine have just brought Poacher, this was the "modern" boat that I believe Arthur ? Bray had

Has anyone got any info or knowledge I can pass on to them please

Chris

About 1990 at Braunston I bought a club hammer from Arthur Bray who was selling bits and bobs from the boat. I think he was living on Poacher with a mate of his. The boat if I remember was painted a pleasant shade of a kind of autumn yellowy orange colour with blue lining.

Chris,

I don't know the boat, but if you look at Roger Alsop's book "Working Boats", it contains multiple pictures of both Arthur Bray and Ernie Kendall, (plus Ernie's young son), aboard Poacher, one at least being dated as 1985.

The boat is moored on the same spot, outside the Marina, as the Brays used to moor Raymond before that, and even has their trademark wooden disks on the mooring ropes to stop rats boarding the boat.

If you venture round the back of the Stop House, a brick out building there has a door that still has "Poacher" fairly roughly painted on it, which I have always imagined to be something they must have used as a store when moored nearby.

From the pictures Poacher is a not unattractive "trad", and has a wooden cabin.

I think ernie kendal lived on it by Braunston Marina in early 90s. Iirc its a colecraft with a Lister ST2 in it. He used to sell windlasses he got with his magnet smile.png or maybe it wasn't Ernie Kendall ?

Ernie Kendal a stocky chap might have been the chap living on it with Arthur Bray. I was told that Ernie Kendal, if it was Ernie Kendal steered a trip boat along that stretch. It was definitely Arthur Bray who sold me the hammer, a thin chap. Poacher was moored right outside Braunston marinas entrance. They also cruised to Stoke Bruern to sell bits and bobs so I was told.

Ernie uaed to drive a Restaurant boat called Bracken, from the marina to a turning area up near Wigrams Turn :)

I spent my first winter on a boat around Braunston in 94 and even saw him take Bracken through 3/4" ice near Woolfhampcote. Quite a sight, with customers eating their lunch. Crunch crack they must have spilled a bit of wine :rolleyes:

I believe Poacher belonged to Ernie Kendal, he used the building at the side of the Stop House as a store, hence the name on the door. His mooring was where Gongoozler, etc are now moored. That building has just been refurbished under very tight control because of its listed status, those who must be obeyed insisted the Poacher sign be reinstate.

Ernie Kendal a stocky chap might have been the chap living on it with Arthur Bray. I was told that Ernie Kendal, if it was Ernie Kendal steered a trip boat along that stretch. It was definitely Arthur Bray who sold me the hammer, a thin chap. Poacher was moored right outside Braunston marinas entrance. They also cruised to Stoke Bruern to sell bits and bobs so I was told.

A much photographed family, including on book covers....

img_2560.jpg?w=960&h=720

Ernie Kendall on the motor, Rose Bray (Ernie's mother) on the butty, and Arthur Bray on the gates.

Ernie was indeed of "heavy build", and it is reported that the round disk on Roger's cabin roof that looks like a lifting weight was actually a rubber mat that protected the cabin as he descended on to it from lock sides, (there were no lock ladders in Grand Union locks in those days).

A much photographed family, including on book covers....

img_2560.jpg?w=960&h=720

Ernie Kendall on the motor, Rose Bray (Ernie's mother) on the butty, and Arthur Bray on the gates.

Ernie was indeed of "heavy build", and it is reported that the round disk on Roger's cabin roof that looks like a lifting weight was actually a rubber mat that protected the cabin as he descended on to it from lock sides, (there were no lock ladders in Grand Union locks in those days).

Interesting Alan. Yes that's them alright. I think Arthur lived in the front half of Poacher and Ernie in the back half as there were two stove chimneys smoking front and rear.

Interesting Alan. Yes that's them alright. I think Arthur lived in the front half of Poacher and Ernie in the back half as there were two stove chimneys smoking front and rear.

I still have that hammer on my boat now.

I think ernie kendal lived on it by Braunston Marina in early 90s. Iirc its a colecraft with a Lister ST2 in it. He used to sell windlasses he got with his magnet smile.png or maybe it wasn't Ernie Kendall ?

Roger Alsop's book says it is Hancock & Lane built, and fitted out by Dennis Clarke,

seems to be possibly backed up by this....

Poacher Built by Hancock & Lane - Length 21.33 metres ( 70 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.01 ( 0 feet ). Metal hull, power of 30 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 79849 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

I remember Ernie going on about how you have to check the all steel hammers carefully because the weld cracks where the head joins the handle. I have found a few broken ones so its wortg looking at.

I have the famous Arthur Bray club hammer in front of me now, a 2lb'er with wooden handle. Any bids? smile.png

Just weighed it, its a 3lb'er.

Edited by bizzard

Roger Alsop's book says it is Hancock & Lane built, and fitted out by Dennis Clarke,

seems to be possibly backed up by this....

I expect Chris-B's friend can check that as H&L boats have a welded id plate normally.

I suppose that would make it a Norseman.

Don't know if they all had the welded plates but I have seen a few. I will certainly bow to Roger's superior knowledge - he is probably right :)

He had taken the boat to Berko for a summer holiday when we met him by one of the locks fishing with his magnet to replenish his stocks.

Yes he had a little sign up in the front of the boat at Braunston saying windlasses and club hammers for sale.

I expect Chris-B's friend can check that as H&L boats have a welded id plate normally.

Don't know if they all had the welded plates but I have seen a few. I will certainly bow to Roger's superior knowledge - he is probably right smile.png

H&L did make some exceedingly attractive almost bespoke boats, in addition to those like the bread and butter Norseman range.

There used to be one called "Japonica" that moored at Cow Roast when I was also moored there in the 1970s, equipped with a lovely sounding twin Sabb, and it had exceedingly fine swims, and went like an absolute rocket that not many other boats could keep up with.

We are talking long enough ago that that too was a "wooden top", with Masonite tempered board covering tongued and groove underneath.

From the pictures I've just looked at "Poacher" looks a bit special too.

Ernie Kendall bought Poacher when he got married in 1978, having previously lived on Raymond with his mother Rose Bray and stepfather, Arthur Bray. Ernie's mother (formerly Rose Kendal nee Ward) died in 1972, having been unwell for a while. Arthur Bray moved onto Poacher with Ernie and his new wife, They had a son who's name I cannot recall, but I do recall him complaing that Ernie hardly ever let him steer, and when he did, he criticised his ability.

From recollection Ernie died sometime around 1997 shortly before Arthur, (by then living in a Nursing Home), who died on Cristmas Eve 1998, After the funerals Ernie's wife and son moved Poacher from the entrance of Braunston Marina,, but I do not know how long they stayed on the boat.

The person who will know the most about Poacher is probably Tim Goghlan, who I believe employed both Arthur and Ernie in the boatyard.

Edited by David Schweizer

Here is an iconic photo taken of Ernie Kendal and Rose Bray on Roger and Raymond, Taken by Hugh McKnigh from the towpath opposite our mooing below Uxbridge lock in the 1960's, I actually remember him taking it.:-

$(KGrHqF,!rMFJkM!HsNsBSd17uDPlw~~60_57.J

Edited by David Schweizer

I don't think the Brays ever lived on Lucy - their butty was the Raymond. When they acquired Poacher, Raymond went to Jim and Doris Collins (ex-Belmont and Stanton) who lived on it until it was too rotten and a well wisher gave them a pleasure boat to live on. Lucy was owned by the Whitlocks and when they moved into a house it was eventually sold to Ray and Gill Williams who kept it very smart and paired with FMC Aster.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

I don't think the Brays ever lived on Lucy - their butty was the Raymond. When they acquired Poacher, Raymond went to Jim and Doris Collins (ex-Belmont and Stanton) who lived on it until it was too rotten and a well wisher gave them a pleasure boat to live on. Lucy was owned by the Whitlocks and when they moved into a house it was eventually sold to Ray and Gill who kept it very smart paired with Aster.

Paul

Yes of course you are correct, I knew that. I have corrected my post.

Don't know if they all had the welded plates but I have seen a few. I will certainly bow to Roger's superior knowledge - he is probably right smile.png

POACHER was certainly built by Hancock and Lane, Daventry, but was not of 'Norsman' design.

The hull design was unique to the 50' to 70' hire boats of Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd. of the 1970's, although Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd. did build and sell a few private commissions of the same design. POACHER was one of these private commission builds, and the connection to Dennis Clarke is that he was the manager at Rugby.

The motor I operated as a cabined camping boat back in the early to mid 1980's was another private commission that was built in 1976 and had an identical hull and cabin construction to POACHER. My butty was built in 1972 by John Pinder (trading as Hopwood Craft, Burton on Trent) and the cabin was completed by Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd., Rugby - also for use as a privately owned cabined camping boat. Neither of these boats were fitted with builders plates.

Snip

The motor I operated as a cabined camping boat back in the early to mid 1980's was another private commission that was built in 1976 and had an identical hull and cabin construction to POACHER. My butty was built in 1972 by John Pinder (trading as Hopwood Craft, Burton on Trent) and the cabin was completed by Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd., Rugby - also for use as a privately owned cabined camping boat. Neither of these boats were fitted with builders plates.

Just out of interest Pete, was that the 'Heyford'?