Mystery location on the BCN any ideas?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

This photo came in to me today from a local historian. The location is a mystery but some things have been determined which may be familiar to someone. The boat is a standard BCN style Joey, although it may be a "Hampton "boat as it looks wide. The rudder is upside down leaning on the first beam in the fore end / stern end well. The boat appears to have been chopped down for some of its length leaving only maybe one or two at the most planks in the side, this could mean it was a bricklayers boat for canalside repairs. The stop lock looks wide too (if it is a stop) hence suggesting the 47ft level (Wolverhampton level). Is it a place you recognise? there may be a pit head gear to the left of the three figures right of centre. Also the could be a date in the side of the stop guard iron.

Suggestions welcomed

The photo has been enhanced to bring out detail:

gallery_5000_522_72713.jpg

ENLARGEMENT OF BOAT:

gallery_5000_522_27199.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Not based on any specific thing but could it have been somewhere on the cannock extension north

of the A5 - it suffered terribly with subsidence and pretty much needed a gang of brickies to itself

at times ?

what are the kilns designed for ?

springy

Not based on any specific thing but could it have been somewhere on the cannock extension north

of the A5 - it suffered terribly with subsidence and pretty much needed a gang of brickies to itself

at times ?

springy

They look like brick kilns - which doesn't help much. IIRC, many of the collieries in that area were winning coal from seams that lie under a band of good quality clay. So many collieries had brickworks

Richard

at times ?

springy

This concurs with much of my thinking, there were indeed bricklayers boats positioned ready to go up there and they feature on photos. Catshill has been suggested as possible site.

I doe think it's Brierley Hill. Theer aye that much strait cut ere!

I thought that but could it possibly be looking along from the Delph back towards Blowers Green? Where the embankment is now just before The Waterfront? Round Oak had it's own colliery IIRC?

I've been racking my brains for Brickworks to the north side of Brummagum and can only think of Baggeridge and the one out towards Kingswinford where the Pensnett Trading Estate is now that the name of escapes me.

Lee.

maybe coalport on the shropie or briarly hill? are you sure its bcn and not stoke?

Pretty sure on it being BCN, the cast iron edge guard on the narrows is typical BCN, also the day boat is 100% BCN style, not likely to be found in Stoke. Coalport / Brierley Hill on the SUC system could not have taken a full length boat, just the tub boats.

I thought that but could it possibly be looking along from the Delph back towards Blowers Green? Where the embankment is now just before The Waterfront? Round Oak had it's own colliery IIRC?

I've been racking my brains for Brickworks to the north side of Brummagum and can only think of Baggeridge and the one out towards Kingswinford where the Pensnett Trading Estate is now that the name of escapes me.

Lee.

The Pensnett covers the top of the Stourbridge extension, Shut End had the brickworks there, further back just before the guillotine stop lock was the Standhills branch and the Bromley branch which served collieries and some brickworks.

Can I see a bridge in the smoke, like the one at Catshill or is it purely in my imagination.

10305031_937034156311418_225660598510058

Well spotted!! We hadn't clocked that, below is an enhanced fresh image with a negative view, this could well be Catshill. other opinions please.

gallery_5000_522_106600.jpg

That's quite an extensive blog! As you continue to scroll down - more appears!! Some interesting shots and maps of canal sections, but patience is a virtue.

PS

Laurence, are you sure that cut down section is not another boat deeper in the water beyond the first? It looks like the rudder has been shipped in a similar way to the first.

Edited by Derek R.

I know nothing about the area or the BCN, but following the trail of clues....

Could it be Clayhanger Bridge in the background?

On the 1884 map of the area, on Brownhills Bob's blog, there a brickworks in the right place just to the SE of the bridge. Though the map seems to indicate rectangular buildings and not the round kilns in the photo.

http://brownhillsbob.com/2012/03/24/southern-brownhills-clayhanger-and-shire-oak-1884/

Also from the blog, a recent photo.

305750101.jpg

That's quite an extensive blog! As you continue to scroll down - more appears!! Some interesting shots and maps of canal sections, but patience is a virtue.

PS

Laurence, are you sure that cut down section is not another boat deeper in the water beyond the first? It looks like the rudder has been shipped in a similar way to the first.

You could be right Derek, certainly a possibility, would make the other boat shortened which would suit maintenance.

A lot of interest here.

These images are Glede Ovens, which were common to the Netherton and Cradley Area. They were used to burn small coals to create coke. So I suppose the image is alongside the Dudley Canal.

Best regards

Ray Shill