(A novice) replacing batteries

RosieP

Featured Posts

HI,

Apologies if this is repetition, I have tried to find the answer elsewhere but I think this is one of those questions so obvious any answers to it have to be read between the lines.

Our batteries are tired so we want to replace. The battery bank currently sits inside a metal 'casing' in the engine bay and will only fit two leisure batteries. Is there any way we can increase our capacity without increasing the number of batteries? Currently we have 110ah sealed batteries, can we replace with 135ah?

(If it helps our output is generally low, lights and radio. I would like to run a 12v fridge for at least part of the day. We charge up with solar and engine on dull days)

Thanks

Have a look at Trojans site for dimensions. You'll get more options if you use 6 volt batteries, so you will be limited to a even number.

I don't think you'll be able to get three batteries in the place of two leisure's tho.

Edited by Robbo

Currently we have 110ah sealed batteries, can we replace with 135ah?

Simple answer, yes if they fit.

You can have any amp.hr battery bank you like, what you need to do is a power audit.

Work out how many amp.hrs per day you will use and double it, that is the minimum size (amp.hrs) battery bank that you need.

It would be a good idea to have some reserve so add say 10 to 20%

The 12V fridge will take the lion's share of power required, but its still worth doing a proper power audit. My gut feeling is that 3 or 4 batteries are about right though; and that with 2 batteries unless they are high capacity, aren't going to be enough. How feasible is it to modify the battery storage area, or is it going to be a big hassle (eg small engine space area)? Don't forget, they also need to be adequately clamped.

The 12V fridge will take the lion's share of power required, but its still worth doing a proper power audit. My gut feeling is that 3 or 4 batteries are about right though; and that with 2 batteries unless they are high capacity, aren't going to be enough. How feasible is it to modify the battery storage area, or is it going to be a big hassle (eg small engine space area)? Don't forget, they also need to be adequately clamped.

Does that not rather depend on your power consumption?

We have a 12v fridge and manage perfectly fine with 2 x 105 batteries. If you don't use a lot of power you don't need a huge battery bank.

HI,

Apologies if this is repetition, I have tried to find the answer elsewhere but I think this is one of those questions so obvious any answers to it have to be read between the lines.

Our batteries are tired so we want to replace. The battery bank currently sits inside a metal 'casing' in the engine bay and will only fit two leisure batteries. Is there any way we can increase our capacity without increasing the number of batteries? Currently we have 110ah sealed batteries, can we replace with 135ah?

(If it helps our output is generally low, lights and radio. I would like to run a 12v fridge for at least part of the day. We charge up with solar and engine on dull days)

Thanks

Possibly the existing ones are low on capacity and new ones would be a considerable improvement.

I think there are with the same 'footprint' with a bit more capacity and a bit taller, either way it's worth noting the levels when buying new for future reference.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Problem with the Trojan 6 volt golf cart series is that once you go above the popular T105's (225Ah & 10.88" tall), whilst the foot print remains the same, with the T125 (240Ah) & T145 (260Ah & 11.63" tall), supply and demand create an ever increasing price per Ah.

I have the same set up. Is there room next to the existing battery bank to place another battery? If so you could simply put one here and connect it to the other leisure battery. A strap to secure it. BSS may not accept a strap but simply remove it before your next test then replace it when the chap has done his stuff.