BREAK IN ON GU BRIDGE 110

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

Hi a boat in front of us appears to have been broken into last night. My friend walked past this morning and found the back doors wide open, the "not in" bar had been bent right back. Ive informed crt and I hope they have been in touch with the owners, though no sign of them today..the boat is called daylight. index 64564. If any of you know the people, please let them know

Edited by Ca Jon

Buggers, was it effort to get in? How secure can you be? I have portholes but often wonder about hatch and door security, but you dont expect it on the cut

its interesting that there are 4 other boats here and none of them were touched, even though only one was in..does the bar across the back door advertise "not home" ?

Scum.

I don't think you can keep a determined thief out of a boat, I certainly couldn't imagine how to make mine burglar-proof short of welding prison bars all over it. I keep mine in a marina which is very secure, when I do leave her on the towpath to go shopping or to the pub I try to make her look occupied, leaving a few lights on and playing a DVD but anybody determined could be into her in seconds with a crowbar or lump hammer.

its interesting that there are 4 other boats here and none of them were touched, even though only one was in..does the bar across the back door advertise "not home" ?

great point you raise, we replaced our padlock last week, does the tiniest padlock say "im easy to break into but nothing valuable" as the big boy padlock? I cover my padlock with a towel

Buggers, was it effort to get in? How secure can you be? I have portholes but often wonder about hatch and door security, but you dont expect it on the cut

You're very naïve then.

Why shouldn't you expect it on the cut? With 35,000 boats there are bound to be some bad 'uns. Quite a lot in fact.

MtB

I think perhaps some folk tend to advertise the fact that a boat is unoccupied and this might make it more likely to be targetted than the next boat which may also be unoccupied but it is not so obvious. I think a bar across the door (usually with padlocks to keep it in place), a padlock outside the back hatch (very obvious) or the front door (not quite so obvious), a front cratch cover completely secured, all indicate that a boat is not occupied.

Although narrow boats are in the main easy to break into, a burglar is more likely to select one which tells him without any doubt that it is unoccupied.

haggis

What can you do - padlocks show it's not occupied so do you leave it unlocked on the premise they think it's occupied?

I try and more near other boat hoping there will at least be someone around. (hopefully not the asshole who took the second mooring pin out of my moorings leaving me just the one at the front and the back)

Lock the boat with something other than external padlocks, perhaps? For example, on Copperkins, the rear hatch is made secure from the inside and the front doors have a mortice type lock. We don't often have the front cratch cover down but if we do and we are leaving the boat for a few hours, we leave the towpath side up as this not only gives the impression that there is someone on board but it doesn't give a burglar a "safe" area to work on under the cratch while he forces the front door lock. This wouldn't work, of course if the boat is left for more than a few hours as the wind could catch the cratch cover and rip it off.

Haggis

Lock the boat with something other than external padlocks, perhaps? For example, on Copperkins, the rear hatch is made secure from the inside and the front doors have a mortice type lock. We don't often have the front cratch cover down but if we do and we are leaving the boat for a few hours, we leave the towpath side up as this not only gives the impression that there is someone on board but it doesn't give a burglar a "safe" area to work on under the cratch while he forces the front door lock. This wouldn't work, of course if the boat is left for more than a few hours as the wind could catch the cratch cover and rip it off.

Haggis

Which is one reason I don't have a cratch cover - its like purpose built workshop for a burglar