Painting Gas pipes

Featured Posts

I am in the process of painting the walls below the gunwhales inside our boat with specially mixed spirit based satin effect Dulux, and wondered if there was any BSS reason why I should not paint over the gas pipes with it as well. but not the compression joints or tap.

Edited by David Schweizer

I am in the process of painting the walls below the gunwhales inside our boat with specially mixed spirit based satin effect Dulux, and wondered if there was any BSS reason why I should not paint over the gas pipes with it as well. but not the compression joints or tap.

Boing !!

No reason that I can think of.

In fact on residential boats the GSIUR apply and these demand exterior copper gas pipework is protected from weather. Painting is considered a good method.

MtBadequate.

In fact on residential boats the GSIUR apply and these demand exterior copper gas pipework is protected from weather.

Why?? If copper is good enough to use as a roof covering, why does copper gas pipe need to be protected from the weather? Should I paint the copper pipe which runs along the back of my house carrying oil to the boiler? Its only been there unpainted for about 40 years!

Why?? If copper is good enough to use as a roof covering, why does copper gas pipe need to be protected from the weather? Should I paint the copper pipe which runs along the back of my house carrying oil to the boiler? Its only been there unpainted for about 40 years!

Because its the regs innit.

I agree with you but try arguing points like this with the examiners, if you want to pass your gas exams. The rationale behind regs is never explained, they are just handed down from on high with instructions to comply, or get struck off the Register..

The point I was making was that if David wants to paint the pipes, it is considered acceptable under the GSIUR.

MtB

"Twas on a Friday morning the painter made a start.

With undercoats and overcoats he painted every part:

Every nook and every cranny - but I found when he was gone

He'd painted over the gas tap and I couldn't turn it on!"

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the advice, I will paint it. It is only the visible pipework above the galley counter that I wish to paint, most of the pipework is concealed behind removeable fittings and will not be painted, so the examiner will be able to see that it is copper.

Edited by David Schweizer

I think that there is a colour code for the painting of gas pipes to differentiate them from water, compressed air, or sewerage pipes but it will definitely be the wrong colour for you. Anyway it will be obvious what the pipe carries. This is only a semi-serious post!

Thanks for the advice, I will paint it. It is only the visible pipework above the galley counter that I wish to paint, most of the pipework is concealed behind removeable fittings and will not be painted, so the examiner will be able to see that it is copper.

Another approach is to polish neatly installed gas pipery.

The polished copper gas pipes feeding the gas lamps in my boat often draw admiring comment, even though these days I rarely actually polish them!

:)

MtB

I think that there is a colour code for the painting of gas pipes to differentiate them from water, compressed air, or sewerage pipes but it will definitely be the wrong colour for you. Anyway it will be obvious what the pipe carries. This is only a semi-serious post!

Bizarrely, I have some adhesive black and yellow gas tape like this:-

76304.jpg

So I could cut out individual "GAS" words and stick them on the wall underneath the pipe.

Slightly smiley_offtopic.gif but external utility underground pipe colour codes are thus:

For modern installations, a national colour coding system for buried services has been agreed by most utilities. In summary, the colours are:

• Black - electricity
  • Red - electricity - some high-voltage cables
  • Orange - street lighting in England and Wales and traffic control cables
  • Purple - road lighting in Scotland
  • Blue - water
  • Yellow - gas
  • Grey or white - telecommunications
  • Green - cable television and some telecommunications.

This colour coding system should not be confused with the one contained in BS1710 which generally applies to above-ground services.

Updated guidance is available which outlines the dangers which can arise from work near underground services and gives advice on how to reduce the risk.

Internal pipes:

http://www.pipelagging.com/pdf/idento/idento_tape_colourchart.pdf

Edited by Ray T