treating Ply

Featured Posts

I have been unable to source 25mm Marine ply in Ireland, apparently the builders dont use it as its more expensive. I have been waiting over two months now, last pallet returned to malaysia as it was poor quality. For the flooring would it be wise to wait (possibly another two months, its holding me up now~) or can I go with WBP Ply- hardwood faced and treat it with something?

If so what should I treat it with......

A

i can get 18mm marine which i was going to use for beneath the toilet room.

Should the WBP be treated with anything to imporve water resistance.... A

All ply should be treated if it is exposed to continual damp and that includes marine ply. WBP uses the same classes of waterproof glue that is used in marine ply.....the only real difference between the two is that the types of wood used in the construction of marine ply are tightly controlled (and yes are better timbers) There are also not allowed to have "voids" or filler....important if its keeping out the sea, but not so critical when inside a steel hull where the only moisture will be condensation.....As earlier, all ply should be treated if exposed to damp to help prevent mold and fungii (personally I use colourless wood preservative)

Condensation may not be the only moisture under a toilet floor!

The builders/owners of certain multiple unit trains found this out a few years ago when the toilet floors had to be replaced very early in the life of the trains.

I would hope that the aim of the male users of private boats might be better than their train passenger equivalents though!

I have been unable to source 25mm Marine ply in Ireland, apparently the builders dont use it as its more expensive. I have been waiting over two months now, last pallet returned to malaysia as it was poor quality. For the flooring would it be wise to wait (possibly another two months, its holding me up now~) or can I go with WBP Ply- hardwood faced and treat it with something?

If so what should I treat it with......

A

A few years ago we bought 25mm marine ply for Fulbourne's hatches from Robbins Timber of Bristol who claim to ship world wide, you will need deep pockets - we paid £125 for half a sheet!

http://www.robbins.co.uk/main/delivery.asp

Tim

Hi Owen

18mm WBP is what I'm using for my floor. Make sure to treat any sawn edges extra well. I was advised to coat sawn edges with PVA glue to seal them.[/quote

I would use cascamite or something similar rather than pva. You've got to mix it yourself but it will be a better job.

Best go to a few places and hand pick a decent sheet of WBP with minimal voids or filler.

For interior, normally I'd just give it an all-over coating, especially edges, with something like a protective wood stain, primer, varnish, whatever's spare.

If for something like cruiser stern deck boards I'd drown it in wood preserver though. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete