Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Ally

Loughborough Xmas antidote banter - Sunday 28th December

Featured Posts

Either day suits me. But I don't have far to travel!! I think its just under a mile from home to the Swan. Its a bit further if we bring Tyto.

Edited by Richard T

Rene and myself will be there what ever day, we are having Christmas on the boat at Barrow this year. :-)

Edited by chazzy

Well the Saturday is definitely out for us - we're in Kent this Christmas and are travelling back to the boat on Sunday.

Sunday's a possibility if I can get the Monday off w*rk - I used all my holidays for America so it'll have to be unpaid but they're usually pretty good about it.

I'll have to wait until nearer the time to confirm though - I need to know how busy I'll be at w*rk before I can ask.

We'll do our best - Loughborough was the site of our very first banter before we had our boat so has a special place in my heart.

Looks like the Sunday is favourite then. I'll try and get to the swan and check it out with them. Not sure if they do food Sunday evenings, most pubs don't round here. I'll see what I can do! For anyone wanting to make a longer weekend of it, the town market should be on on Saturday, there's the great central railway of course, the carillon is worth a look if open to climb, plus charity shops and the usual Towny stuff and the canal of course.

Likely we'll miss it AGAIN as we'll be on holiday. Depends on flights - may make Sunday if we come straight from airport.

Another No here sorry to say.....OH will be working I expect which is as it should be because he's been a kept man all summer.:)

Ally,

Being "old fart retired people", we can do either the Saturday, or the Sunday, (or even both!).

I'm slightly concerned about the suggestion that there might well be no pub food on the Sunday though - "old fart retired people" can't really do much drinking unless there is a meal to soak up some of the alcohol. cheers.gif

What would be the situation on food nearby, if we needed to go elsewhere briefly to fill our faces. Would the "Spoons" be doing food on a Sunday - there is at least one of those close at hand isn't there?

EDITED TO ADD: Cath has just pointed out that if the dog comes a "Spoons" will not let him in. sad.png

Edited by alan_fincher

Ally,

Being "old fart retired people", we can do either the Saturday, or the Sunday, (or even both!).

I'm slightly concerned about the suggestion that there might well be no pub food on the Sunday though - "old fart retired people" can't really do much drinking unless there is a meal to soak up some of the alcohol. :cheers:

What would be the situation on food nearby, if we needed to go elsewhere briefly to fill our faces. Would the "Spoons" be doing food on a Sunday - there is at least one of those close at hand isn't there?

There is a Spoons over the road just a little further along.

Add me to the list please, either day or both - makes no odds to me

I know travelodge will allow dogs for about an extra fiver a night but can we take Riko on the train?

I know travelodge will allow dogs for about an extra fiver a night but can we take Riko on the train?

We've taken Millie on the train before (she hated it - never again!) I can't remember now whether there was any cost involved but I don't think so.

Travelodge charge £20 per stay for dogs, 1 night 2 nights doesn't matter. Rip off in my opinion.

Ibis budget in France charge €5 per night.

Travelodge charge £20 per stay for dogs, 1 night 2 nights doesn't matter. Rip off in my opinion.

Ibis budget in France charge €5 per night.

before anyone gets any silly ideas, I am NOT doing a banter in France.

If you mean the steam train, Bazza, yes they do! My guys went last year, Rosie was not keen on people walking past the window (Cheshire Rose took a lovely picture). But we did get a carriage all to ourselves, think they were either a pound or free?

If you mean the steam train, Bazza, yes they do! My guys went last year, Rosie was not keen on people walking past the window (Cheshire Rose took a lovely picture). But we did get a carriage all to ourselves, think they were either a pound or free?

From the Great Central Railway Website.....

Dogs, cycles and large items of luggage are a flat fare of £2.

Normal scheduled services on Network Rail a dog (or a bike) usually travels free, I think.

Odin has done trips on Network Rail by train and doesn't seem vaguely phased by it, Unlike our previous dog, Charlie, I don't think he has yet done a steam train.

This should upset those complaining that every thread degenerates into the dog owners discussing their dogs!

CIMG4132.JPG

CIMG4161.JPG

Spoons will have food on, I dare say someone would dog sit while you eat. I've yet to check with the swan though....my elderly mum is taking up my time at the moment!

I wonder if I could maybe talk them into a £pp buffet if the kitchen will be closed. It does seem to be the norm round here on a Sunday. Other eateries are available, including pizza etc.

We could otherwise try another pub????? :/

No. But I'm working on the principle that, much like kids, you just let them do whatever they want and then fill them with sugar and e-numbers shortly before you hand them back.

alan_fincher, on 21 Oct 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

From the Great Central Railway Website.....

Normal scheduled services on Network Rail a dog (or a bike) usually travels free, I think.

Odin has done trips on Network Rail by train and doesn't seem vaguely phased by it, Unlike our previous dog, Charlie, I don't think he has yet done a steam train.

This should upset those complaining that every thread degenerates into the dog owners discussing their dogs!

Continuing with the smiley_offtopic.gif doggy detour theme.....

Normal scheduled rail services will indeed allow up to two pets per passenger to travel for free. We looked into it when considering rail travel for a holiday earlier in the year. There are (understandably) subject to conditions re behaviour etc etc).

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/luggage_animals.aspx

Edited by The Dog House

No. But I'm working on the principle that, much like kids, you just let them do whatever they want and then fill them with sugar and e-numbers shortly before you hand them back.

Ah,so this is why Odin is always overjoyed to be led away somewhere by you, then!

Whereas my boy dug his heels in, pulled back, and flatly refused

That works on me too