Wind turbine- update

Ricco1

Featured Posts

My turbine has been up and running for nearly 2 weeks now, thought I'd share my results.

First the good bit. It works, and does generate electricity. Yes, really!

The slightly less good: Despite my best efforts it does cause the boat to vibrate. Having said that, this doesn't bother me. If someone in the distance was playing music with the modern popular over egged bass I'd struggle to get to sleep. The turbine, sounding like a quiet motor bike revving up and down, doesn't stop me getting to sleep, or wake me up. There's a slight distant drone as I'm typing this, it's reassuring more than a nuisance.

The manufacturer (Rutland, it's a 913) claims that this turbine should be able to produce over 10 amps. I doubt this. Today was windy, I'm at an exposed place, the turbine was spinning like mad but only producing, I estimate, around 2 amps.

Overall I'm pleased with it. OK if I'd paid over 500 quid for it I'd think it a lot of money for little electricity generated. Mine cost less than a third of that so I think it's worthwhile. Anyway, to me there's some value in getting something for nothing, after having paid an initial sum.

One moan though: Rutland's burb states you need a controller between the turbine and the batteries. When the voltage gets high the turbine brakes of its own volition. It appears to have a built in controller/ regulator. This being the case shouldn't it simply be a case of connection it directly to the battery bank, perhaps including a diode to prevent current going from the batteries to the turbine?? A diode might cost a couple of quid, the contoller I fitted was around £75.00.

Hi ya,

I Bet you've got UN snubbed Guide wires, and the Bottom End of the Pole isnt Cushiond within it's Bracket, and the Bracket isn't mounted on a thick bed of Silicone !.

Yep, 2 to 3 Amp is a fair Average return, obviously it will momentarily gust a lot more.

As far as the Controller goes, I just fitted it, and Forgot it, much the same worm my WG.

Keep us up dated though.

They are a waste of money even if 2nd hand, the hurricane coming tonight you might get 2 amps but it will be a sleepless night, was a poor day today for sun but got 26 amps from the solar, yesterday was about 70 amps.

They are a waste of money even if 2nd hand, the hurricane coming tonight you might get 2 amps but it will be a sleepless night, was a poor day today for sun but got 26 amps from the solar, yesterday was about 70 amps.

Not as good as solar, I agree. I have 375 watts of solar which gives me plenty of power but none tonight :) I don't regret fitting it at all. To me the turbine is a bit like an ecofan, which I also have... No great result, just nice to have.

• Greenie 1

When I got up and let the Hound out at 05:30 WG was giving 3.3A. (Sol 0.0A), When I walked to the Marina Office at 07:45 WG Was giving 3.0A (Sol 0.0A), I am just leaving the Boat now for the day and my WG IS Giving 3.4A (Sol 0.0)

So I'm going to guess the Average Harvest from WG over just the last 3 Hrs as Between say 6-7 A Hrs,,, Sol 0.5 A Hrs just to be fair .

I'm going to predict, that when I return to my boat at approximately 18:00, My Batteries will be fully charged,,,Whatever the weather !.

In my mind, it just can't be wrong having more than one way to Harvest 'Free Power'.

I'm happy.

In fairness, Solar does give me a more 'Sustained' Harvest when it's sunny or light.

The sun is just peeking through now, but won't be around long today I don't think, It's very windy and Grey.

• Greenie 1

Got back today, fridge always on as well, batteries were 12.3 this morning when i left at 7am, solar only and we have been on absorption since 2pm and float since about 3pm. They at 12.9 now the sun going down. Wind too noisy!!!!

Yep, as i thought, Batteries SOC 100% , and on Float. WG giving 0.2A

When 12v Fridge and My 230v Freezer via my Inverter Kicked in (And all left swited on 24/7 as above) then my WG is currently giving some 4.3A (Gusting to 5.1) as it should.

So yep very happy.

Ofcourse Solar is quieter, it's got no moving parts !. & my Tiny and badly installed Solar installation (only 120w mounted at a Fixed approximately 10° incline ) has worked

brilliantly for me.

But for me, Having Both Wind and Solar works for my needs and cruising style.

What is the ratio of the gears the WGs use?

Just wandering....can they be played with...?

Hi ya, Good idea,, I have NO idea of the Gear Ratio,

But another way to boost performance in the first instance if wished, would be to simply put Bigger Blades on it, I'm guessing this would achieve Lower Wind start up speed, Have a Bigger Catchment area, and therefore turn the motor Faster to produce more Amps, ,,,,IThink.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2