Engine Room Size?

Pen n Ink

Featured Posts

So...

Having decided to invest a significant chunk of the hard-earned in a shiny "new" 3LW and working from a completely blank sheet; how big is yours?

Wanting to ensure that we've got enough room in the engine room for all the other stuff that inevitably goes in there, what length do people recommend for the engine room, and any thoughts on how far from the stern (ie length of back cabin)?

Always willing to learn from bitter experience! (of others, preferably...)

The engine room on our josher was, at some time between 1948 and the late fifties was lengthened by eighteen inches. The new frame was riveted but traces of the original one still remain. I've no idea why this was done or by whom. At one stage the Bolinder's was replaced by a Lister Freedom. I wonder if it was decided then to extend the space. When we came to restore the boat, we decided to keep the longer engine room. After all it is part of the boat's history and very convenient.

I like Chris's suggestion. Now that I've got a tall skinny Kelvin I've got a plenty of room for this.tongue.png

Edited by koukouvagia

At 5' 6" mine is probably one of the shortest engine rooms you can have with a vintage twin, even then assuming the economy of length afforded by a modern PRM gearbox. If I'd gone for a triple it would have needed at least another six inches.

BTW I have bank of 5 x 110 Ah batteries + 100 amp/3200 watt Sterling Combi + 50 amp second charger under floor one side and starter battery + Mikuni heater the other. All are comfortably accessible.

The engine room on our josher was, at some time between 1948 and the late fifties was lengthened by eighteen inches. The new frame was riveted but traces of the original one still remain. I've no idea why this was done or by whom.

It wasn't me...

:)

MtB

Thanks Team!

Not sure about the worship (...grizzle, grumble, groan...) but we are looking forward to living with the beast when it finally happens.

Suddenly occurred to me last night that as a lad I had a 45rpm record which contained a story read by Johnny Morris. Thomas the Tank Engine and the Snow. In that tale of derring-do Thomas is rescued by Terence the Tractor (bear with me...). The sound Terence made was .. "picket-a-pocket-a-picket-a-pocket-a" then on overrun "picket-a-picket-a-picket-a". Clearly a 3 cylinder engine and at the time very probably a Gardner.

Must have been an omen biggrin.png

At 5' 6" mine is probably one of the shortest engine rooms you can have with a vintage twin, even then assuming the economy of length afforded by a modern PRM gearbox. If I'd gone for a triple it would have needed at least another six inches.

That's the absolutely standard length of a "Grand Union" boat engine room, and over time most variants of "proper" narrow boat engines have been installed in these.

Obviously originally they largely housed a National or Russel Newbery engines with a Brunton box, but over time of course many acquired either the Petter PD2 engines with a Parson's box, and eventually lots of Lister JP or "H" series engines with mechanical boxes, including 3 cylinder variants of the "H" series,

Ours has an HA3 on a Blackstone box, in that 5'6", and isn't particularly tight, but it is an original arrangement with no new access added either front or rear to make the engine room walk through. Once you do that it all gets a bit tighter, although the boat we recently looked at with a National had been made fully walk through, and retained the original fuel tanks, without it being a particular squeeze, so if things will not fit into 5' 6", you probably have a "too big" engine for a cruising narrow boat!

That's the absolutely standard length of a "Grand Union" boat engine room, and over time most variants of "proper" narrow boat engines have been installed in these.

Obviously originally they largely housed a National or Russel Newbery engines with a Brunton box, but over time of course many acquired either the Petter PD2 engines with a Parson's box, and eventually lots of Lister JP or "H" series engines with mechanical boxes, including 3 cylinder variants of the "H" series,

Ours has an HA3 on a Blackstone box, in that 5'6", and isn't particularly tight, but it is an original arrangement with no new access added either front or rear to make the engine room walk through. Once you do that it all gets a bit tighter, although the boat we recently looked at with a National had been made fully walk through, and retained the original fuel tanks, without it being a particular squeeze, so if things will not fit into 5' 6", you probably have a "too big" engine for a cruising narrow boat!

You beat me to the same point.

But how long are standard Josher engine rooms? The fuel tank across the full width at the front of the engine room reduces the space available for the engine.