New Boat purchase, Advice needed. . . . ASAP

Terryb

Featured Posts

(Posted elsewhere sorry if that's not acceptable)

Oh dear, I think I am in over my head. I have made an offer on a boat called Princess Soraya - Built by Jarvis Boatbuilders - Length 16.77 metres ( 55 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull, power of 999 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 50109 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Saturday 19th April 2008

But as you can see there seems to be a bit of a lapse in registration details.

It has been offered at 29995 and I mad a silly offer that has been provisionaly accepted.

What checks should I make before cash hand over.

( Mod, feel free to re-post in to more appropriate thread)

If i had a 500 quid offer accepted on a 30 grand boat I'd take it to without survey! Although I think I'd have to wait for it to be delivered from the eGay warehouse in Scotland lol.

Lee.

My point exactly. Hardly any point in a survey either if he is a gambling man and can afford to take the hit if he gets it wrong.

MtB

I disagree. He might have offered £500 and be a gamblin' man.

MtB

Mike, sometimes you can be informative and sometimes you can be the forum arse...stop being the latter.

Damn, its half 3. Only had 3 hours sleep, been laying awake with all kind of thoughts.

I know about survey guys, the thing that gets me is that the chap is selling it for "his Auntie" and that after 10 minutes of making my offer, he texted me and said yeah when can we see the money? My reaction to that was to park my horse and and run for the hills. But then I thought that, because this guy and his aunt bought the boat that way, he may truly believe that's the way to sell it. Boy is he in for a surprise.

With regards to the surveyor, would they/do they,

1/ Always have to have it out of the water? ( sorry, that sounds too stoopid now)

2/ Do any tests on the engine/electrics etc?

3/ Give me the whole story, or do I have to specify what I require?

4/ If its been over-plated, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Lastly (for now ) Is there anything I should/could be doing before hand. ie. test run, ownership tracing etc

Please feel free to add what ever you like here........

Edited by Terryb

1) Yes, if you want the full survey, which you do.

2) Mine tested the engine, gearbox etc. Can't remember exactly what he did electric wise but he definitely checked batteries and issued a new BSC (so I guess that involves checking electrics).

3) I think there is a standard, but it won't do any harm discussing exactly what you want. There is such a thing as an 'in water survey', but that won't cover the hull which is the most important part.

4) It can be both, depending on who did it and how good a job they did. Your survey will clarify this. For example, if it was done by your mate Barry who's done a bit of car welding before then it could be a disaster. If it was done by a well respected boat builder then it could give the hull another trouble free 30 years.

Get a full OUT OF WATER survey by a surveyor recommended by this forum, NOT THE SELLLER OR BROKER, and you will be well advised.

Here is the boat.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46502896.html

Strangely it is being sold via a property website rather than a boat broker.

It says it comes with a mooring. I'm no expert on boat prices but it looks to me like they are attaching a bit of a premium for the mooring as I'd say that is not a £30k boat. If that is so, make sure you speak to the owner of the moorings and find out exactly where you stand with the transfer of the mooring.

It's possible its in one of those rare marinas that doesn't require boats to be licensed, that may explain why it was last registered 6 years ago. Beware though this might mean it was last moved 6 years ago.

Check it's got a Galvanic Isolator fitted. If not, and it's been hooked up to the mains for 6 years or more, then it could big problems with the hull.

Edited by junior

It says that it's a non-residential mooring so that shouldn't add anything to the price. The fact that it was last registered in 2008 suggests to me that it has been on hard standing since then.

EDIT looking at pic 3, it is in the water but presumably not CRT water.

Edited by Southern Star

Damn, its half 3. Only had 3 hours sleep, been laying awake with all kind of thoughts.

I know about survey guys, the thing that gets me is that the chap is selling it for "his Auntie" and that after 10 minutes of making my offer, he texted me and said yeah when can we see the money? My reaction to that was to park my horse and and run for the hills. But then I thought that, because this guy and his aunt bought the boat that way, he may truly believe that's the way to sell it. Boy is he in for a surprise.

With regards to the surveyor, would they/do they,

1/ Always have to have it out of the water? ( sorry, that sounds too stoopid now)

2/ Do any tests on the engine/electrics etc?

3/ Give me the whole story, or do I have to specify what I require?

4/ If its been over-plated, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Lastly (for now ) Is there anything I should/could be doing before hand. ie. test run, ownership tracing etc

Please feel free to add what ever you like here........

Have you physically seen the boat, or just adverts of it, phone conversations, etc?

• Greenie 1

From the agents site:

It starts with a realistic valuation using good knowledge of the property market. (not boats) We always provide you with evidence backing up our valuations so you also get a good feel for what your home is worth.

My parenthesis.

Not in this case.

Terry do a search on boat selling websites and see what else you can get for £30,000.

The other bit in the blurb, it appears it is being refitted by the owner (auntie) and mentions space for a few items cooker etc. it does not say they are there or available.

How do you know this boat is actually his to sell? It all sounds a bit scammish to me.

LM beat me to it!

Fits the facts quite well actually.

1) Marketing the boat via an estate agent not the normal channels, in case the real owner gets to hear of the sale

2) Pressuring for the cash, before you tumble the problem

3) Claiming to be selling on behalf of someone else, so if you call CRT to check ownership it won't come as a surprise to be told someone else owns it.

Ask to see the receipt from when his auntie originally purchased it, and a letter or licence renewal notice from CRT to her at her home address. I bet you won't see him for dust!

MtB

Is it his boat to sell? Get the name and index number and ring CRT and check who owns it. I'm only saying this because rented and share boats get sold by the tenants very occasionally.

I think this has been suggested for previously 'questionable' sales, but under the Data Protection Act C&RT will not give you the name and address of the 'registered owner'

All you can do is look / ask for receipts, bills, invoices etc made out in the name of the guy selling it, or Auntie, but then you need to establish a link between the seller and his Aunt

I think this has been suggested for previously 'questionable' sales, but under the Data Protection Act C&RT will not give you the name and address of the 'registered owner'

But when I've called them asking this I've found they WILL confirm you have the correct name and address of the seller (or not), if YOU give them that information first.

So ask the 'seller' for the name and address of the owner so you can check with them they know about the sale, then check, and also check the name and address is correct with CRT (and it isn't their accomplice in crime!)

MtB

Let me say you guys are BRILLIANT !!

Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom, I have taken them all on board and will be arranging a survey soon. I have been on board, and while it states that it's being redecorated, what they mean is its been gutted and painted. (nothing grand )

The roof timbers have evidence of some lights that have been removed, but still left the holes in the roof. = sloppy workmanship.

The Appliances look to be past their use by date. = fridge runs on gas, no cooker present.

The paintwork is all very flat but at the water line it looks good. ( owner says it was 3 x coated last year )

It has a Nanni Engine, (no other details ) that started, but needed some cranking no smoke (well, just a bit of unburnt fuel, black as you might expect)

Not sure about the galvanic isolator, what does that look like. Is it the same as sacrificial diodes.

Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom, I have taken them all on board and will be arranging a survey soon. I have been on board, and while it states that it's being redecorated, what they mean is its been gutted and painted. (nothing grand )

The roof timbers have evidence of some lights that have been removed, but still left the holes in the roof. = sloppy workmanship.

The Appliances look to be past their use by date. = fridge runs on gas, no cooker present.

The paintwork is all very flat but at the water line it looks good. ( owner says it was 3 x coated last year )

It has a Nanni Engine, (no other details ) that started, but needed some cranking no smoke (well, just a bit of unburnt fuel, black as you might expect)

Not sure about the galvanic isolator, what does that look like. Is it the same as sacrificial diodes.

Well taking all that into account, I'd say it sounds overpriced by about £10k.

Can you find out who did the overplating?

Have you looked at any other £30k boats?

Honestly you can expect a complete boat with a cooker and an electric fridge for the £30k+ price tag. How much did you offer? I'm staggered you still seem to be interested in this dodgy old over-priced shed of a boat.

There's one born every minute and they seem to have found one!

Just sayin', like.

MtB