Nitromors/ Varnish Stripper.

Featured Posts

Started stripping the degraded varnish of the inside stern doors today, and so bought a tin of Nitromors. What a mistake. The last time I used it, it was a very effective varnish remover but quite simply nowadays "it doesn't do what it says on the tin".

I looked online and I'm not the only one who has noticed Nitromors' inability to strip paint or varnish, apparently they have been forced to remove all of the active ingredients by the eu in case we decide to drink it. There are a lot of dissatisfied customers on various forums. Yet another reason to vote UKIP I'm thinking.

Is there any generally available varnish stripper that actually strips varnish?

Started stripping the degraded varnish of the inside stern doors today, and so bought a tin of Nitromors. What a mistake. The last time I used it, it was a very effective varnish remover but quite simply nowadays "it doesn't do what it says on the tin".

I looked online and I'm not the only one who has noticed Nitromors' inability to strip paint or varnish, apparently they have been forced to remove all of the active ingredients by the eu in case we decide to drink it. There are a lot of dissatisfied customers on various forums. Yet another reason to vote UKIP I'm thinking.

Vote UKIP for more effective paint strippers.....

Sounds about right.

I know what you meen. Nitro WAS the dogs danglies but no more.

If you can remove the doors you can imerse them in caustic soda but it is a bit harsh on the wood.

I've used a hot gun to good effect though it needed a good deal of finishing.

The use of tri and dichloromethane has been prohibited in paint strippers by eu directive 276/2010.

I didn't notice an answer to the question?

Because I couldn't be arsed.

You introduced the nonsensical notion that UKIP will repeal all such stipulations and thus immediately took your own thread off topic in the original,post, which comes close to a CWDF record.

However to answer the question I go with a heat gun combined with a detail sander. OK?

Because I couldn't be arsed.

You introduced the nonsensical notion that UKIP will repeal all such stipulations and thus immediately took your own thread off topic in the original,post, which comes close to a CWDF record.

How is it off-topic to mention the only UK political party which is opposed to this nonsense?

If you "couldn't be arsed" to compose a sensible reply, then why compose one at all? It just comes back to what I said last week, for some reason you seem to follow me around this forum like a little puppy dog, even when you have absolutely nothing to contribute to the thread.

• Greenie 3

I think you need to look at "professional" outlets...not the DIY sheds.....I'm sure I saw some proper nitromors in such a place....it's bit like creosote....it's still available if you know where to look. Oh and I agree the EU meddle in far too many things...if UKIP said they would rescind such crap I'm sure they would become even more popular!

Cheers

Gareth

How is it off-topic to mention the only UK political party which is opposed to this nonsense?

If you "couldn't be arsed" to compose a sensible reply, then why compose one at all? It just comes back to what I said last week, for some reason you seem to follow me around this forum like a little puppy dog, even when you have absolutely nothing to contribute to the thread.

You didn't compose a sensible original post though. You asked a sensible and valid question but included some nonsensical and irrelavent reference to UKIP......

As to relevant contributions? Attempt number two....burn it off and sand it, any clearer?

As to following, please get yourself a life, eggasactly??

Edited by The Dog House

As to relevant contributions? Attempt number two....burn it off and sand it, any clearer?

Thank you. However, I'm not in a position to burn it of at the moment as I am currently running 230v on 300w inverter power only, so until I get a mains hook-up fitted I need to use a chemical stripper. However, my brother spends a lot of time in Turkey where he has a house, I will see if he can get some next time he is there, Turkey not being subject to eu directives.

Thank you. However, I'm not in a position to burn it of at the moment as I am currently running 230v on 300w inverter power only, so until I get a mains hook-up fitted I need to use a chemical stripper. However, my brother spends a lot of time in Turkey where he has a house, I will see if he can get some next time he is there, Turkey not being subject to eu directives.

Gas powered heat guns are available.

You don't need a hook up, nor a brother in Turkey.

I bring paint stripper back from Spain.

They take no notice of regulations there...and it would eat through anything.

They also sell nice varnish there....the type that gives off lots of vapor..but finishes much better than the water based stuff.

Gas powered heat guns are available.

You don't need a hook up, nor a brother in Turkey.

Yes, quite possibly they are, but the point is that if I spend £30 on varnish stripper, then it would be reasonable for me to expect it to strip varnish. That is just basic consumer rights. Nitromors used to be a very effective varnish stripper, but for what it did today I may as well have painted two 16p pots of Tesco economy yoghurt on the back doors.

It seems that paint stripper has gone the same way as creosote, banned by stuffed shirts who never use the stuff but who know how to write a directive.

Meanwhile, as I do have a brother in Turkey, I'll ask him to buy some varnish stripper when he is next there.

Yes, quite possibly they are, but the point is that if I spend £30 on varnish stripper, then it would be reasonable for me to expect it to strip varnish. That is just basic consumer rights. Nitromors used to be a very effective varnish stripper, but for what it did today I may as well have painted two 16p pots of Tesco economy yoghurt on the back doors.

It seems that paint stripper has gone the same way as creosote, banned by stuffed shirts who never use the stuff but who know how to write a directive.

Meanwhile, as I do have a brother in Turkey, I'll ask him to buy some varnish stripper when he is next there.

Consumer rights?

Sorry as an opponent of the EU that is so very funny.....

Yes..Turkey...but also many EU countries don't apply the legislation..only us.

I recently bought some lovely atmosphere destroying stuff in Spain...and paint with deadly vapors in Portugal...

Recently..while in France..the local village held a 'fair'...and one of the main attractions was 'tip the small kid into a bucket from a platform 8 feet up!!

The kid stood on a plank..and you threw balls through holes in a board. Get one through the hole..the kid was tipped into a small bucket.

The kid seemed to love it...and everyone was having a great time...

I'm not saying that was 'right or wrong'...but Imagine H&S in the UK..

Carefully use a piece of broken glass and scrape it off, it's a bit more time consuming but 100% effective.

Turkey not being subject to eu directives.

Yawn...as it has been banned by most of the developed world it would seem inevitable you would have to go to somewhere like Turkey to get some.

Trich is extremely nasty stuff and has been slowly removed from everything since the 70s, predating the EU's interest by some decades.

Dich did replace it in many uses (I recall similar hysterics when I was the COSHH officer in the mid 80s auditing all the nasties in the lab though nobody was blaming the EU back then) but it is still pretty dodgy and best kept in safer conditions than your average DIY shed.

If we didn't have EU directives then the British Safety Standards would be applying similar if not stricter controls (the EU, after all uses guidelines pioneered by the UK to reach its decisions on such matters).

If you don't like H&S regulations then move to Bhopal because they are here in the UK to stay, Europe or not.

• Greenie 2

You would expect paint to stand up to snow and wet, but it doesn't any more

Paramose Thick Industrial Paint Stripper is pretty much the same as traditional Nitromors (it contains dichloromethane) - but as its name suggests, it is sold for industrial use only.

Having said that it is quite easy to obtain. A matter for your conscience (but it does work).

Chris G

Paramose Thick Industrial Paint Stripper is pretty much the same as traditional Nitromors (it contains dichloromethane) - but as its name suggests, it is sold for industrial use only.

Having said that it is quite easy to obtain. A matter for your conscience (but it does work).

Chris G

Thanks, I'll get some, shouldn't be a problem. I do have a sound environmental conscience, I wouldn't spend over £1,000 a year on AdBlue if I didn't (I could get the AdBlue system disabled for £60), but one thing I insist on with paint and varnish stripper is that it can actually strip paint and varnish.

I won't drink it or throw it in a river so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Yawn...as it has been banned by most of the developed world it would seem inevitable you would have to go to somewhere like Turkey to get some.

Trich is extremely nasty stuff and has been slowly removed from everything since the 70s, predating the EU's interest by some decades.

Dich did replace it in many uses (I recall similar hysterics when I was the COSHH officer in the mid 80s auditing all the nasties in the lab though nobody was blaming the EU back then) but it is still pretty dodgy and best kept in safer conditions than your average DIY shed.

If we didn't have EU directives then the British Safety Standards would be applying similar if not stricter controls (the EU, after all uses guidelines pioneered by the UK to reach its decisions on such matters).

If you don't like H&S regulations then move to Bhopal because they are here in the UK to stay, Europe or not.

The voice of reason...if not wisdom

It's mad, mad world when people object to things like health and safety.

I don't object to health and safety, but the simple fact is that pre-2011 Nitromors paint stripper was neither unhealthy nor unsafe, and actually had the ability to strip paint. Now it has lost that ability due to an eu directive which was no doubt written by stuffed shirts who have never actually stripped paint from wood in their lives.

It's the same story with creosote, it's been in use so long that Pliny wrote about it. But now the eu have decided that we can't have it any more and have to paint our fences with something which doesn't actually preserve fences.

The madness is in allowing eu politicians to have this level of control over its citizens who have never asked for these changes to be made. I've ordered some Paramose now, but vote UKIP in May is all I can add. smile.png