Going through Littleborough Locks

jollymoggy

Featured Posts

No, not anymore, it was manned by a lock keeper called Ray but you just go through as normal.

It's called "The Summit" and it's the point where the canal goes downhill from the summit lock. The water is fed from here both ways and the lock keeper used to monitor passages but they ceased this recently.

• Greenie 3

No, not anymore, it was manned by a lock keeper called Ray but you just go through as normal. It's called "The Summit" and it's the point where the canal goes downhill from the summit lock. The water is fed from here both ways and the lock keeper used to monitor passages but they ceased this recently.

This must surely qualify as the most informative and interesting first post of any member.

No, not anymore, it was manned by a lock keeper called Ray but you just go through as normal.

It's called "The Summit" and it's the point where the canal goes downhill from the summit lock. The water is fed from here both ways and the lock keeper used to monitor passages but they ceased this recently.

This must surely qualify as the most informative and interesting first post of any member.

and she's right, he beat me to it, they are open at 8am and shut at 4pm.

I note Frank2110 says "the water is fed from here both ways" , are you local too then?

And while you are passing call at lockie Ray's shop for a well earned brew after the hill!

numbty edit!

Edited by Jim Riley

Thank you for that. Great information and welcome to this forum :) Much appreciated. I will continue up to the summit tomorrow.

Thank you for that. Great information and welcome to this forum :) Much appreciated. I will continue up to the summit tomorrow.

Nice to meet you this afternoon, have a good trip to Bingley. Do you know about the Calder and Hebble Handspike? You need one for the locks beyond Sowerby Bridge. Afaik Shire Cruisers sell nice hardwood ones, tapered at one end for lifting the pawl from the ratchet, but 3ft of 3x2 will work fine. Enjoy your trip, Jim

Nice to meet you this afternoon, have a good trip to Bingley. Do you know about the Calder and Hebble Handspike? You need one for the locks beyond Sowerby Bridge. Afaik Shire Cruisers sell nice hardwood ones, tapered at one end for lifting the pawl from the ratchet, but 3ft of 3x2 will work fine. Enjoy your trip, Jim

Yes nice to meet you too. Yeah I've heard about the handspike needed, unfortunately I did have one but I mistaked it for a piece of useless wood and binned it. I'll make sure to get another one. Thanks for your help, Steve.

I can't recall any diesel until Shire Cruisers in Sowerby Bridge. However I see from your original post that you are heading for Hebden Bridge. If this is as far as you are going, then of course you won't need a handspike, but if you do go on to Sowerby Bridge and beyond, then you will have to book Tuel Lane lock for Tuesday to Thursday until the end of this month, and for any day after that (usual CRT number).