Electrickery Advice needed

Rambling

Featured Posts

(can someone tell me how to upload pics on here?

I need help with my electric system. I want to use my new generator and don't know what buttons to press on my exisiting system. Do you have to avoid it going through the inverter?

This is the equipment I have now.

Victron 3000w inverter

phoenix multi control

victron isolation transformer 3600

solar control panel

230v/ac 50hz distribution (blue seas systems) box thing with AC Main and reverse polarity button.

Thanks

Open a (free) account with 'photobucket'.

Once done , open Photobucket and you will see a 'button' called upload

Click button - search your computer for the picture you want, click on it and it up loads to photobucket.

Keep photobucket open, in a seperate tab, open Canalworld, open/start the thread you want to put the picture in,

Go to the photobucket tab, select the picture you want to post, below the 'thumbnail of the picture' will be 5 options :-

Email

Direct

HTML

IMG

IMGthumb

Click on IMG, right click mouse and select 'copy'

Go back to the Canalworld tab, type your text, when you want the picture inserting, right click mouse and click 'paste'

Picture will now be inserted in your post. (it may show up as a line of text - IMG http// .............. but when you click 'post' it will turn into a picture)

LifeofPie_zps0849b5b7.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Do you use a landline ?

Do you have a 'blue' landline plug on the outside of your boat that you connect the landline to ?

Do you have to 'press any buttons' when you connect the land line?

The generator is purely an alternative source of power to the electricity bollard in the Marina (or wherever you are),

You should be able to just run the generator, plug the lead into the boats blue plug and away you go.

If you do not already have a 'blue plug' / Landline set up then you may need to have some wiring and maybe RCD work done

(can someone tell me how to upload pics on here?

I need help with my electric system. I want to use my new generator and don't know what buttons to press on my exisiting system. Do you have to avoid it going through the inverter?

This is the equipment I have now.

Victron 3000w inverter

phoenix multi control

victron isolation transformer 3600

solar control panel

230v/ac 50hz distribution (blue seas systems) box thing with AC Main and reverse polarity button.

Thanks

You need a proffessional. The victron can be hard wired. Or it may already be so. Is it hard wired for shore power?

You will also need to check the settings on the victron allowing it to match up with your Genny. This can be done by computer, or little trick switches within the casing.

I suspect you don't have just an inverter. More likely a Victron Combi combined charger and inverter (important difference) with the ability to pass through an AC mains supply provided at its input and on to your distribution sockets.

Its important to know above and also generator type power etc., in order to answer your query.

Some details of genny would help, portable, built in, inverter or not, how powerful in kW?

If a portable genny it probably needs a special earth bonding lead to ensure the RCD can work, also a small genny may get overloaded by the isolation transformer.

If the boat is new or recently bought, the builder or surveyor may be able to help as they'll be familiar with the setup.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Some details of genny would help, portable, built in, inverter or not, how powerful in kW?

If a portable genny it probably needs a special earth bonding lead to ensure the RCD can work, also a small genny may get overloaded by the isolation transformer.

If the boat is new or recently bought, the builder or surveyor may be able to help as they'll be familiar with the setup.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

He has an Isolation transformer

He has an Isolation transformer

That is true blush.png A socket tester from the likes of Maplins, Ebay would tell for sure, was going to mention it originally.

If a small inverter genny it may not play well with the iso transformer due to inrush.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Have you read the Smargauge web site and looked at all their wiring diagrams, -one will likely meet your needs.

With 240v in outdoor/wet environments please be safe, even use a professional electrician.

He is only asking how to switch it on, he has an isolation transformer and lots of other tack already installed. I would bet that if he just plugs it into the shore supply it will work, but having no idea what switching arrangements he has installed I couldn't guarantee that.

Or have I missed something in the original post.

lol, yes a girl here. So tomorrow I will upload pics from the site advised and see if anyone know exactly the buttons and settings. I simply want use a genny for 240v but really do not understand the system I have and don't want to blow it all up. It works just great, but I need more power for the winter (as I rely on solar really).

I am not sure whether to just plug the genny into the shoreline and hope it's all automatic, or whether I need to switch one if the many buttons over to 240 AC somehow.

Perhaps I really need someone to explain my system to me.

I currently have a petrol suitcase one (3000w evopower) but want an onboard one eventually, when I can get enough info on what to get and enough money). But for now it will be chained to the bank. I am static.

My boat also has an annoying Hubble cable plug instead of the standard shoreline, which I want changing.

We tried once before to put 240v through the shoreline but nothing seemed to happen inside indicating that I had to do something to make it work.

I need a marine electrician really - anyone know of any in surrey?

IF you have a Victron Combi (see post #5) then as well as connecting the generator to the shore power inlet and starting it, you will need to switch the Combi on to allow the AC from generator to pass through it to the sockets. It should also start charging the batteries.

Depends where in Surrey, maybe try a reputable local boatyard, ask if they're familiar with the stuff you have, they should be able to quote for their hourly rate and any travel costs.

Maybe a knowledgeable boating friend or neighbour could help out.

I guess you have something like this:

Phoenix_Multi_Control-500x500.jpg

If the genny can be plugged in to the shoreline socket and the panel switched on, the top LEDs should come on.

River Canal Rescue do courses for learning about eleccy stuff, bit far away near Birmingham though. Also some course notes on the Tony Brooks Training site which could be worth a look:

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/courses/

http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I currently have a petrol suitcase one (3000w evopower) but want an onboard one eventually, when I can get enough info on what to get and enough money). But for now it will be chained to the bank. I am static.

My boat also has an annoying Hubble cable plug instead of the standard shoreline, which I want changing.

We tried once before to put 240v through the shoreline but nothing seemed to happen inside indicating that I had to do something to make it work.

I need a marine electrician really - anyone know of any in surrey?

Try phoning Peter Jeffs on 07815576532 he works out of Reading and knows about Victrons.

Fred

Yes I have the above photo and a Victron Phoenix multiplus 12 v 3000w 120 amp.

It has 2 sets of lights the charger side, then the inverter side. One button in the middle that is either on / off / charger only. Plus the above (exactly the same). Phoenix multi control. The there is this blue seas system which I think might be the whole system on or off. It says AC Main and reverse polarity lit up. Then there is the isolation transformer but that doesn't have any buttons. Then the solar charge controller which I have never touched. It just tells me how the solar is charging the batteries. So It would seem that I do have the combined charger and inverter.

It has 2 sets of lights the charger side, then the inverter side. One button in the middle that is either on / off / charger only. Plus the above (exactly the same). Phoenix multi control. The there is this blue seas system which I think might be the whole system on or off. It says AC Main and reverse polarity lit up. Then there is the isolation transformer but that doesn't have any buttons. Then the solar charge controller which I have never touched. It just tells me how the solar is charging the batteries. So It would seem that I do have the combined charger and inverter.

Are you saying that both lights are ON.

Check the manual but I think the Reverse Polarity one should be OFF.

It is OFF on mine (not Blue Seas). I do have a Correct Polarity light that is ON.

I have almost the sane install. I just set the max input amps on the controller with the rotary knob until the led display shows the max output amps of the geny. I then switch to charger only, plug in the geny to the shorepower socket and all works normally.