Friday flag fun

Jayne Toyne

Featured Posts

The BBC and the Radio Times get away with 'feck' (Father Ted) and 'smeg' (Red Dwarf); old western film characters frequently said 'dang', 'darn', 'heck' or 'tarnation'; Shakespeare invented many curses and insults - all euphamisms. My father would say ss-ugar or count to ten rather than expose me to 'foul language'.

It seems that medical terms for body parts may be acceptable? e.g. Jayne's mention of the excellent Australian attitude. Ozzies can say "Pommie p'ter B" in five intonations meaning anything from 'I like you' to 'I hate you'.

It would be good thing if we all avoided language that may offend.

Alan

There are at least 4 profanities including f****ing in there. I'm not taking issue other than to state the content imo is degraded by those. I quite enjoyed It but cannot link to my young nephew for instance. It's also stopped me looking further around your site.

I'm not French.

Another forum I frequent will not allow "f***" with letters starred out, using the principle that everyone knows what you intended to write, so using the F word completed with stars will get you post deleted just as surely as if you'd written it with all its letters.

MtB

Snip

So in that respect I would have no hesitation letting my nieces aged 6 and 8 read any of my published written musings. (their parents may differ in this opinion)

]

I must be old fashioned. Your profanities are not even disguised with any *****'s.

Edited by mark99

]

I must be old fashioned. Your profanities are not even disguised with any *****'s.

Some are and some are not. That doesn't bother me though, old as I apparently am. I'm not really sure of the point of it though - it's a very simplistic and incomplete description of flag etiquette and seems to serve mostly as a way of scoring points.

Some are and some are not. That doesn't bother me though, old as I apparently am. I'm not really sure of the point of it though - it's a very simplistic and incomplete description of flag etiquette and seems to serve mostly as a way of scoring points.

no points scored, I just had to endure sailing around this summer, once racing had finished, on a friends boat who happens to fly a blue flag, defaced. Its only hoisted after racing. Im generally beside myself with embrassment and I let it be known very clearly what I think of the inequalities and apparent ease in which we can buy privilege in the flag system. I promised those friends a northern left wing view on the ensign system. and as such it is to be taken as a sarcastic poke at those who i refer to scathingly as w*nkers. They enjoyed it. so job done as far Im concerned.

whilst I was at it, i thought i would mention the french, since Mr X, my now ex partner of 9 years, was/is french.

I will go back to my usual style of blogging and write about the fun stuff and anything else that goes along with living on a yacht rigged for offshore racing.

though ive been hankering after a ditch crawling tub like those on the itchen next to southampton recently as the traffic queues to get to southampton from gosport have been insane.

]

A profanity with or without a star, the intent is still the same, it's just like holding a napkin to ones face while we belch. Who cares? children dont burst in to flames if they understand curse words. I would argue that allowing them to understand the correct use of a curse word is better than witholding it from them.

i think the moment is lost, profanity, the risk of offending, in this day and age, the act of feining offence to uphold false morals in order to show moral or societal superiority in some way is commonplace and widespread.

You may as well be flying a white ensign.

[quote name="honey ryder"

Snip

You may as well be flying a white ensign.

Neatly categorised into one of your point scoring boxes.

As said if you believe, in order to justify bad language, your blog is suitable for 8 year olds I don't think with that attitude you will take on any feedback.

At the risk of taking this on-topic...

The information about defaced flags is incorrect.

Whilst it is most common that defaced blue is usually a posh yacht club, it is also a government ensign and occasionally an overseas ensign (Gibraltar for example)

Likewise, whilst a defaced red is usually overseas, there are domestic examples of defaced red ensigns

I enjoyed reading Honey Ryder, very interesting and amusing. I knew little about flags.

It's a shame the thread took a dive, as usual. I dislike this forum. I have a look every now and again when browsing but often find myself wondering why I bothered. :/

So one is left wondering why you do?

If you dislike it so much just don't visit, it really is that easy.

>>So in that respect I would have no hesitation letting my nieces aged 6 and 8 read any of my published written musings. (their parents may differ in this opinion) <<

I quite agree. It makes me wonder if said parents have been near a primary school playground recently. The language can be choice, to say the least.

Given the choice, I'd rather that inland / coastal boaters wore some form of flag as an ensign rather than nothing. Anyone (?) can join a posh yacht club and if / when qualified (need a small ships registration) wear the appropriate flag.

When the regulations (1890's ?) were introduced clubs were invited to claim the right to wear a White / Blue / red defaced. Some qualified clubs chose to have the blue defaced or not, there's no other reason. No reason of seniority or whatever.

Given the choice, I'd rather that inland / coastal boaters wore some form of flag as an ensign rather than nothing. Anyone (?) can join a posh yacht club and if / when qualified (need a small ships registration) wear the appropriate flag.

When the regulations (1890's ?) were introduced clubs were invited to claim the right to wear a White / Blue / red defaced. Some qualified clubs chose to have the blue defaced or not, there's no other reason. No reason of seniority or whatever.

nearly correct; Plain Blue Ensign are worn by yachts when the Owner is a member of (and has the correct warrant) a yacht club with prefix of 'Royal', ie Royal Motor Yacht Club (Poole), Royal Solent Yacht Club (Yarmouth) etc. Defaced Blue Ensigns belong to other yacht clubs who have applied for the appropriate warrant, no other Royal connection needed. In all cases the yacht club has to have a warrant and so does the Owner of the vessel in question, the house flag or the burgee HAS to be worn at same time. If the owner is not on board the vessel then the defaced flag has to be replaced with a Red Ensign.

Govt Vessels (RFA, RMAS etc) wear a Defaced Blue Ensign.

A Red Ensign would be appropriate for a canal boat to fly.

Sadly the RMAS was disbanded some years ago; another victim of cutbacks! As far as the Red Ensign and inland waterways, I think this is specifically covered somewhere in the MSA where the Red Ensign is designated as appropriate ensign for canal craft. Despite this, we have a number of pseudo "warships" around the system. I only hope they are on peaceful missionsbiggrin.png

Howard

Sadly the RMAS was disbanded some years ago; another victim of cutbacks! As far as the Red Ensign and inland waterways, I think this is specifically covered somewhere in the MSA where the Red Ensign is designated as appropriate ensign for canal craft. Despite this, we have a number of pseudo "warships" around the system. I only hope they are on peaceful missionsbiggrin.png

Howard

had forgotten about the RMAS being disbanded! I know that SERCO runs a lot of the harbour craft that have taken over the RMAS role, do they wear blue or fly the Red Duster instead?

Perhaps the Warships are after the pirates that we see around the system instead...? Having been in piracy infested waters (see Capt Philips to get a good idea...) and been shot at in various parts of the world I don't quite see the funny amusing side of dressing up as pirates as well as other people...

A large tan coloured flag with a teapot depicted upon it, The jolly codger'' and to be known jovially as flying the ''Rosie Lea''. smile.png

I can't see much point in flying a red ensign on a canal boat within the UK, but I like the sound of this "Rosie Lee" flag.

Arguably the correct usage would be just "Rosie" because the rhyming word is normally omitted.

Is there already a CWDF flag, and if not, should this be adopted? Easy to make, just stain a white cloth in tea (as used to give the paper on which the Hitler Diaries were written a nicely aged look), then sew a teapot shape of your choice on.

Not to be confused of course with a teapot on the roof, which we all know by now has a Whole Different Meaning.

A question for Dharl: Do any real pirates still use the traditional flag?

A question for Dharl: Do any real pirates still use the traditional flag?

Don't tend to use flags these days AFIK, not the ones I have seen anyway, they tend to have 4 plus blokes in a fast skiff or two , armed with ladders, AK47's and the odd rocket launcher. recent transits we have had some ex Booties on board who fired warning shots and kept us poor matelots safe. Friends ship in WAF (West Africa) wasn't so lucky a few years ago.

nearly correct; Plain Blue Ensign are worn by yachts when the Owner is a member of (and has the correct warrant) a yacht club with prefix of 'Royal', ie Royal Motor Yacht Club (Poole), Royal Solent Yacht Club (Yarmouth) etc. Defaced Blue Ensigns belong to other yacht clubs who have applied for the appropriate warrant, no other Royal connection needed. In all cases the yacht club has to have a warrant and so does the Owner of the vessel in question, the house flag or the burgee HAS to be worn at same time. If the owner is not on board the vessel then the defaced flag has to be replaced with a Red Ensign.

Not to be contentious; but I disagree. F'rinstance:-

Royal Anglesey

Royal Burnham

Royal Bermuda

Royal Channel Islands

Royal Corinthian

Royal Channel Islands

Royal Southampton

and lots more all have defaced ensigns and some none Royal clubs have undefaced ensigns, one in particular is the Sussex Motor Yacht club who for some time existed as a portacabin only, but now seems to be going through a renaissance.

I quote as my reference the Learned Mr. Bartram whose excellent FOTW website has transmogrified into The Flag Institute and the anoraky stuff is now only available to members

Not to be contentious; but I disagree. F'rinstance:-

Royal Anglesey

Royal Burnham

Royal Bermuda

Royal Channel Islands

Royal Corinthian

Royal Channel Islands

Royal Southampton

and lots more all have defaced ensigns and some none Royal clubs have undefaced ensigns, one in particular is the Sussex Motor Yacht club who for some time existed as a portacabin only, but now seems to be going through a renaissance.

I quote as my reference the Learned Mr. Bartram whose excellent FOTW website has transmogrified into The Flag Institute and the anoraky stuff is now only available to members

I stand corrected! :)

I know that SERCO runs a lot of the harbour craft that have taken over the RMAS role, do they wear blue or fly the Red Duster instead?

Cruising on continental inland waters as we do with Friesland we wear the red ensign. However we also use the derrick on the stern for drying washing, so commonly fly the wet teatowel alongside the red duster.

Tam