What a learning curve

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Well, I'm finally living the dream and loving every minute of it, but what a learning curve. I picked the boat up from Stoke on Trent at the back end of September and have made it as far as Northwich. The original plan was to take it as far as Rufford, but that won't be happening until spring: lack of holidays and stoppages have forced a re-think.

I came up single handed, knackered my back on the second day trying to open a lock that wasn't actually full. I crashed into a few locks/bridges (but only gently) and gave the c&rt rescue boat that was moored just on the bend outside the Harecastle tunnel a pretty shrewd knock sad.png, but in general, I made it in one piece.

I love the lifestyle. It's everything I'd hoped for and more, and I'd hoped for a lot.

Huge thanks to all the more competent boaters that helped me on my way. I promise to do better next time.

Cheers,

T.

Hi Junior.

I'm at the Anderton Marina at present, just a couple of minutes from the Boat Lift and I'll definitely take a cruise down the Weaver before I move on.

I've driven and drunk around the area all my life, but you get a completely different perspective from a boat.

Cheers,

T.

Im currently doing a similar trip from Mercia to Rufford single handed..been some tough days along the way :-)

Currently moored at Middlewich top lock having a couple of fender mount rings welded on at Top Lock chandelry before setting off tomorrow lunchtime for the final leg this weekend...

Ill be mooring outside 'The Old Broken Cross' nr Bridge 172 tomorrow night for a beer/feed if your local and fancy comparing notes

Edited by andyberg

This post made me smile.... I have just completed a year living on my boat. I was warned that I would make one or two mistakes, check this lot out. By the way, I live on a 70ft and cruise all year. No previous boating experience. You are in for a giggle with this lot!!!

Firstly can I apologies whole heartedly to all those I have bumped into!!

1- burnt out alternator

2 - burnt out generator

3 - hit another boat

4 - sheared side hatch door off it's weld

5 - got rudder trapped in lock gates.... twice

6 - forgot to move forward off cill in the lock and boat got stuck. Up shot of this is it pushed my rudder up and it now steers properly after spending the whole summer pulling the tiller with both hands.

7 - being a single handed boater... I forgot to put my boat into neutral while preparing a lock and i didn't notice my boat going awol!

8 - back rope got wrapped around the prop shaft.... I merrily thought I was going over a shopping trolley or something in lock I was exiting.

9 - lost 2 new chimneys into the canal

10 - lost my bike in the canal as I underestimated the height of some bridges

11 - snapped a fisherman's rod..... some say that's ok

12 - didn't know I had a stern gland. I ended up with 2 inches of water to suck out... A fellow boater commented on how low my boat looked, thought it a compliment and sailed off feeling happy with my 70ft home!

There is more, I can't remember them. It has cost me a fortune.

So 'T' have no worries, you can't be worse than me... I certainly feel I have earned my canal stripes and cruise without incident (this week).

I love living on the cut and hope to have many happy (accident free) years plodding about. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it, no doubt quicker than me.

All the above is 100% true.... You will be pleased to know that I was complimented on my boat handling skills recently getting out of sticky situation, so you could say I learnt the hard way, but loving it.

Enjoy

M

• Greenie 2

This post made me smile.... I have just completed a year living on my boat. I was warned that I would make one or two mistakes, check this lot out. By the way, I live on a 70ft and cruise all year. No previous boating experience. You are in for a giggle with this lot!!!

1- burnt out alternator

2 - burnt out generator

3 - hit another boat

6 - forgot to move forward off cill in the lock and boat got stuck. Up shot of this is it pushed my rudder up and it now steers properly after spending the whole summer pulling the tiller with both hands.

7 - being a single handed boater... I forgot to put my boat into neutral while preparing a lock and i didn't notice my boat going awol!

8 - back rope got wrapped around the prop shaft.... I merrily thought I was going over a shopping trolley or something in lock I was exiting.

12 - didn't know I had a stern gland. I ended up with 2 inches of water to suck out... A fellow boater commented on how low my boat looked, thought it a compliment and sailed off feeling happy with my 70ft home!

So 'T' have no worries, you can't be worse than me... I certainly feel I have earned my canal stripes and cruise without incident (this week).

I love living on the cut and hope to have many happy (accident free) years plodding about. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it, no doubt quicker than me.

All the above is 100% true.... You will be pleased to know that I was complimented on my boat handling skills recently getting out of sticky situation, so you could say I learnt the hard way, but loving it.

Enjoy

M

Well that's got to be the best first post I've seen in ages - I ran out of real ones, but have a virtual greenie..

Edited by lampini

1- burnt out alternator

2 - burnt out generator

3 - hit another boat

Enjoy

M

Welcome to the forums M, I see you've had an eventful year!

Well that's got to be the best first post I've seen in ages - I ran out of real ones, but have a virtual greenie..

I agree, greenie from me.

echoed.......unfortunately I'm out of greenies too, so mine has to be a virtual as well....excellent post!!!smile.png

eta ...real one now added cheers.gif

Edited by John V

When I wrote this post I couldn't quite believe it either. If I can get the hang of it, there's hope for anyone out there bumping their way about!

Thanks for the welcome. If you can't laugh at your own cock ups, it's a sad place to be.

One thing I didn't mention was just how supportive you all can be when it's obvious there's a newbie on the lose. Should I put the P plate on now or hold a while...... Lol

M

Edited by floating creations

1- burnt out alternator

2 - burnt out generator

3 - hit another boat

Enjoy

M

And I thought I had problems.

Congratulations on surviving (and getting better.)

The only actual damage I inflicted on the boat was half pulling off the centre ring. There's braking and breaking if you follow me.

Cheers,

T.