Stourbridge moorings

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm going to be heading up the Stourbridge canal this weekend. I'm on a bit of a tight schedule, and have been trying to work out the best overnight stops. I reckon I won't have time to get all the way up the Stourbridge flight before dark on saturday (and, I'm not over keen on stopping overnight between there and the delph), but I vaguely remember there being mooring rings right outside the Red House Cone which looked safe and secure. Am I imagining this? If I'm not, is there any reason I can't moor overnight there? I am, would I be better to moor down by Stourton and have a longer day on Sunday?

I'm going to be heading up the Stourbridge canal this weekend. I'm on a bit of a tight schedule, and have been trying to work out the best overnight stops. I reckon I won't have time to get all the way up the Stourbridge flight before dark on saturday (and, I'm not over keen on stopping overnight between there and the delph), but I vaguely remember there being mooring rings right outside the Red House Cone which looked safe and secure. Am I imagining this? If I'm not, is there any reason I can't moor overnight there? I am, would I be better to moor down by Stourton and have a longer day on Sunday?

It is the festival at the end of the Stourbridge arm this weekend which normally attracts about a hundred boats. I imagine that most will

be there by tomorrow night but image that many will be leaving during Sunday

Tim

Be mindful the Stourbridge Boat Show is this weekend Dave. Are you single crewed? If you are and I can get a ride early on Saturday morning, I'll do your lock running and get you above the Delph 9 before sundown :)

Lee.

It is the festival at the end of the Stourbridge arm this weekend which normally attracts about a hundred boats. I imagine that most will
be there by tomorrow night but image that many will be leaving during Sunday

Tim

A lot of boats gathering at the Waterfront between Blowers Green and the Delph today (I'm working up there ATM) including the old BW Scorpio and butty 300.

Be mindful the Stourbridge Boat Show is this weekend Dave. Are you single crewed? If you are and I can get a ride early on Saturday morning, I'll do your lock running and get you above the Delph 9 before sundown :)

Lee.

A lot of boats gathering at the Waterfront between Blowers Green and the Delph today (I'm working up there ATM) including the old BW Scorpio and butty 300.

I guess the 2 that are normally there will also help can't rember there names but I can remember one was called Geordie Something they have helped me a couple of times

I guess the 2 that are normally there will also help can't rember there names but I can remember one was called Geordie Something they have helped me a couple of times

I know the Dudley Canal Trust are taking their 2 working boats down but after a 14 hour day on 5 hours sleep I'm having trouble remembering my name let alone boat names lol!

Bob.

Brian.

Oh yes, Lee :P

The butty is Leo.

Thank you! I've been sitting here racking my brain cell trying to remember. cheers.gif

Thanks for the advice.

It seems that I'm always cursed to get caught up in boat gatherings whether I want to or not.

Thanks for the offer Lee but I've got other commitments on Saturday and won't be able to leave Kidderminster until around lunch-time / early afternoon. I reckon the Red House Cone is do-able but the top of the Delph from Kiddy in around 5-6 hours might be pushing it somewhat! I should have 1 or 2 crew with me but you're welcome to come and help too!

I've had assistance from the phantom geordie lockie before, maybe he'll be around too.

Would I be right in guessing that the boats going to the festival won't be mooring at the cone? I'd hate to get into the flight at dusk and have to push through looking for a mooring.

Thanks for the offer Lee but I've got other commitments on Saturday and won't be able to leave Kidderminster until around lunch-time / early afternoon. I reckon the Red House Cone is do-able but the top of the Delph from Kiddy in around 5-6 hours might be pushing it somewhat! I should have 1 or 2 crew with me but you're welcome to come and help too!

No problem, might try and catch up Sunday then as the dinky boat (Tara) in my avatar is currently moored at the Waterfront, the kettle will be on as I'll be there lol. Pity it wasn't an early start, we (Tara's owner and I) managed 17 miles and 44 locks on the GUC a month or so ago, that took us pretty much dawn till dusk though.

As for overnight moorings, either stop in Kinver, Stourton or as you suggested the RCH.

Lee.

44 locks? You had it easy! When I were a lad, we had to get up first thing in the morning, 2 hours before we went to bed, lick the towpath clean with our tongues and deliver a boat-load of coal from Manchester to Sowerby Bridge before lunch. And pay the boat owner for the privilege of delivering his coal. etc.etc.etc.

See you at the weekend hopefully!

How've you got on Dave?

I'll be up at the waterfront tomorrow tinkering with a few odd jobs on Tara, under-achieving calorifier for one. Stop off for a cuppa on your way through and (as long as I'm finished tinkering) I'll cadge a ride up as far as Bumble Hole/Netherton Tunnel if that's OK?

Lee.

How've you got on Dave?

I'll be up at the waterfront tomorrow tinkering with a few odd jobs on Tara, under-achieving calorifier for one. Stop off for a cuppa on your way through and (as long as I'm finished tinkering) I'll cadge a ride up as far as Bumble Hole/Netherton Tunnel if that's OK?

Lee.

A mixed day. All was lovely until we got to the bottom of the Stourbridge flight where a 'man' was fishing right on the lock landing. I had to call out to him to move his rod so I could moor. When I got off the boat we was very abusive and threatening to the point that I called the police.

I don't really want to go into it too much but it was the worst experience I've ever had while boating - by a fair margin. I ended up not attempting the flight and am now moored with the other boaters for the festival down the arm.

We'll be setting off tomorrow morning at about 8 and should be coming through Merry hell in the afternoon. You're welcome to a lift! I'm planning to stop for the night at Bumblehole.

A mixed day. All was lovely until we got to the bottom of the Stourbridge flight where a 'man' was fishing right on the lock landing. I had to call out to him to move his rod so I could moor. When I got off the boat we was very abusive and threatening to the point that I called the police.

I don't really want to go into it too much but it was the worst experience I've ever had while boating - by a fair margin. I ended up not attempting the flight and am now moored with the other boaters for the festival down the arm.

Blimey, good job I wasn't there then, he'd have been at the bottom of his keep net! What's with people today??

We'll be setting off tomorrow morning at about 8 and should be coming through Merry hell in the afternoon. You're welcome to a lift! I'm planning to stop for the night at Bumblehole.

Merry Hell is about right lol, can't abear the place. Thank you in advance for the lift, be nice to be on the cut again :)

Lee.