Views Sought On Mooring Arrangements During The Cropredy Festival.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The advice on the fairport convention website for arriving by boat could probably do with updating

http://www.fairportconvention.com/faq.php

Writing as one who has never been to Cropredy Festival, apart from changing British Waterways to Canal and River Trust, and updating the Waterscape reference I can't see anything that really needs changing. I thought it was well written general advice and an example that others could usefully follow.

Never been a problem to us on Nightwatch. We used yo moor North of Cropredy for over seven years. Mainly started our annual holiday the same weekend as the festival travelling in either direction.

It was always good to pass through Cropredy at festival time as the atmosphere and jollity was always good. I must have said the same thing many a time. "Must get a narrow boat next time" .

Leave it alone,it's okay, Mr CRT.

Martyn

So 2 pages full of pretty much everyone saying that nothing needs changing. Hows that for feedback!

Well I have yet to read through everything in detail, but I would argue that it is already well worth me having asked, (particularly if they start insisting on Monday that something does need changing!)

So thanks to all who have contributed so far, but please, the more people that state a view the better, so still a few days yet for some more.

Year before last we went on Reg, didn't arrive until the first evening had already started. Breasted up without a problem, I am not sure what the perceived issue there is.

Yes boats are breasted up, but the stretch remains navigable. Yes it is busy as feck when everyone goes to head off at the same time, but you expect this.

Braunston Rally, Ricky, loads of other things also cause similar business in other areas at different times, this is just a fact of life.

Interesting comment on the newly opened marina too, I have to wonder if they have a finger in this pie!

In my experience, there is a complete blind eye turned, even extending to mooring on the designated workboat mooring, opposite the service area

There seems to be an almost complete blind eye turned on the whole of the southern Oxford all year round.

Maybe suggest they discuss that instead please?

MtB

Well I have yet to read through everything in detail, but I would argue that it is already well worth me having asked, (particularly if they start insisting on Monday that something does need changing!)

So thanks to all who have contributed so far, but please, the more people that state a view the better, so still a few days yet for some more.

Something needs to be done about the boats 4 or 5 abreast as you try to get past boats outside a certain hire base at Linslade is that also on the agenda ?

Something needs to be done about the boats 4 or 5 abreast as you try to get past boats outside a certain hire base at Linslade is that also on the agenda ?

Hehe Stan mentioned that today when we were talking about Cropredy

Oi! Start your own thread.

Well it is a bit relevant as the leading light of the South East Boaters Group is the owner of all those boats that block the canal at that point

We've been through Cropredy several times during the festival and have been in the lock queue more than once (we moor locally).No major problems and always good natured. One year there was a boat breasted up - nothing since. Water levels are sometimes low, this year was the worst I've come across but that's due to the volume of traffic. They recover the next day. Moorings can be difficult and it can be a long stretch on tick over however its to be expected.

Hehe Stan mentioned that today when we were talking about Cropredy

Well it is a bit relevant as the leading light of the South East Boaters Group is the owner of all those boats that block the canal at that point

I know john its a little relevant. Just having a bit of fun during the ever increasing dark evenings.

Martyn

I live in one of those boring bricks & mortar house things near Cropredy where I have lived for over 20 years but also have a NB which I keep in the marina, my observations of the festival is that by and large the music is bloody awful, the beer is great and the atmosphere is nice and relaxed with aged hippies everywhere, for a few days an otherwise sleepy village comes to life with visitors and locals getting along nicely.

As for the canal, what I noticed this year was that their seemed to be significantly less boats moored up than on previous years, with the general thought that the marina had soaked up a substantial number of punters that would otherwise be moored up on the cut, it was also very windy on the Sunday which I know put off several boaters from leaving the wind tunnel that is known as Cropredy Marina so perhaps the rush was displaced by the wonder of weather.

As for me, I enjoyed the real ale, buffalo burgers and talking bollocks to aforementioned aged hippies…I also decided to wait until the following week before venturing out onto the cut when all the NB festival folk had ventured elsewhere.

I agree.

Looks like a consensus is emerging. Ask CRT to restore the bank for the half a mile or so south of Cropredy so mooring there for the festival is less precarious.

MtB

If only life was that simple..........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....where would they put the all the new signage , if there were no accompanying restrictions.

I don't understand the point, what 'mix up'.

Somebody who has hired one of her company's (napton NB's) boats has been photographed going too fast. What does this have to do with her personally?

Or are you saying she is actually on the boat in question?