An appreciative big up to the new Friends of the River Nene

Chop!

Featured Posts

This newly formed association has started with a flourish. They have established & cleared new moorings on the Nene, at Islip & Ditchford and are sorting a third at Woodford. Membership costs £10 per boat and a form is available on their Facebook page, for those of you that are interested but not on Facebook, I'm sure Ditchpaddler (Alan) could sort you out via a PM.

Typically, after a 'work drought' I'm now flat out. So I'd like to thank all the members for doing so much, so quickly to improve the facilities on the Nene ;0)

Very impressive start, well done and thanks to all the Friends for their efforts.

I did not get on with the never-ending Nene on the way down to the Level and the Ouse when we did the trip back in April, but really enjoyed the trip back and hope to travel that way again.

Maybe they could pressure to have the shoal immediately downstream of Islip lock marked. EA have gone to the trouble of providing an inverted level gauge for the not particularly low bridge after it but this just serves to distract. Both myself and another 60 ft narrowboat, I later learnt, were caught on it. Because its so extensive it took me some time to pole off. The other boat had to be towed off.

We had the honour of being the first visiting boat to moor on any of the new Friends' moorings :Dhttp://severnerwillow.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/the-odessa-files-2-and-a-plug-for-friends-of-the-river-nene/

I'm so impressed with how well the new group is doing! Three moorings already and counting

We got our pair stuck fast there in both directions, next time I'll take it a lot wider, not follow the general advise, which is to keep left downstream & right upstream (because of Islip's saggy footbridge)

I read a post on M.B Willow's blog the other day about them using one of the new moorings. I was surprised to see how quicly things have got moving since the thread about the meeting to set up the new association only seemed a few weeks ago.

You must have some very proactive people involved. Congratulations and good luck.

This newly formed association has started with a flourish. They have established & cleared new moorings on the Nene, at Islip & Ditchford and are sorting a third at Woodford. Membership costs £10 per boat and a form is available on their Facebook page, for those of you that are interested but not on Facebook, I'm sure Ditchpaddler (Alan) could sort you out via a PM.

Typically, after a 'work drought' I'm now flat out. So I'd like to thank all the members for doing so much, so quickly to improve the facilities on the Nene ;0)

Thanks Chop and everyone for your comments the Shoal under Islip lock along with the other 3 bad ones, Ashton,Cotterstock and Wansford have all been reported to the EA and we will keep on the case. We have got brilliant members who have been very supportive as well as turning out to get their hands dirty and clear the mooring sites with us. We have got more moorings in the pipeline and hope to be able to announce soon.

We had the honour of being the first visiting boat to moor on any of the new Friends' moorings biggrin.pnghttp://severnerwillow.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/the-odessa-files-2-and-a-plug-for-friends-of-the-river-nene/

I'm so impressed with how well the new group is doing! Three moorings already and counting

And it was a pleasure to have you thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

We're moored tonight enjoying Smudge and Purple Faeries hospitality at Northampton marina, poised to head down the Nene. We've joined the FOTRN and we're keen to try out some or all of the new moorings. Are they all signed? Is there a web page somewhere with locations and any other pertinent details? Will report back here with what we find.

MP.

We're moored tonight enjoying Smudge and Purple Faeries hospitality at Northampton marina, poised to head down the Nene. We've joined the FOTRN and we're keen to try out some or all of the new moorings. Are they all signed? Is there a web page somewhere with locations and any other pertinent details? Will report back here with what we find.

MP.

I don't think such a thing exists yet. Probably best to ring the "helpdesk" number and speak to Brian Buckle. As for signage, all I can confirm is that the Islip one is signed.

Edited by Black Ibis

I don't think such a thing exists yet. Probably best to ring the "helpdesk" number and speak to Brian Buckle. As for signage, all I can confirm is that the Islip one is signed.

We're planning to try the mooring by the water-ski club, downstream of Wellingborough viaduct, tonight. It's not signed yet, but Google maps satellite view helpfully shows water-skiers on one of the lakes, so we should be able to find it OK.

MP.

Well we found it. Between Wellingborough viaduct and Ditchford. Very nice it is too. Deep enough for a deep NB and long enough for three or four. Good view of the trains crossing the Viaduct, but does suffer from the distant roar of the A45, like almost everywhere on this bit of the Nene. O2 signal limited to 2G, but fast EE 3G.

MP.

Well we found it. Between Wellingborough viaduct and Ditchford. Very nice it is too. Deep enough for a deep NB and long enough for three or four. Good view of the trains crossing the Viaduct, but does suffer from the distant roar of the A45, like almost everywhere on this bit of the Nene. O2 signal limited to 2G, but fast EE 3G.

MP.

Glad u found it ok and have managed to moor ok you are the first user of that mooring hope you have a pleasant stay.

Glad u found it ok and have managed to moor ok you are the first user of that mooring hope you have a pleasant stay.

Thanks. I'll happily believe we are the first, especially as the number of moving boats we've seen in the last two days is precisely zero. The Nene is not busy.

As an aside, here's why making wash is bad. The Google satellite view shows the water-skiers in action, and just look what their wash is doing to the banks of the lake! (The new mooring is by the SW corner of the lake, BTW.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3003457,-0.6471188,510m/data=!3m1!1e3

MP.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my login problems solved (thanks Daniel!)

Meeting at Woodford working men's club, Highfield, Woodford, Northants NN14 4HD Jan 30th 8:00pm.

I am hoping to attend. Great strides have been made in a very short time.

Pop along if you can :-)

Thanks. I'll happily believe we are the first, especially as the number of moving boats we've seen in the last two days is precisely zero. The Nene is not busy.

As an aside, here's why making wash is bad. The Google satellite view shows the water-skiers in action, and just look what their wash is doing to the banks of the lake! (The new mooring is by the SW corner of the lake, BTW.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3003457,-0.6471188,510m/data=!3m1!1e3

MP.

Wow that Google image is quite disturbing.

Phil

As a frequent user of the Nene I must say that the group, which I've joined, have done a lot in a short time. The official moorings EA on the Nene are a few and far between on some stretches and the new moorings will make it easier to travel the river in shorter hops and visit some of the villages normally only viewed from the river. Looking forward to getting back on the river in late Autumn and meeting some of the members.

As a frequent user of the Nene I must say that the group, which I've joined, have done a lot in a short time. The official moorings EA on the Nene are a few and far between on some stretches and the new moorings will make it easier to travel the river in shorter hops and visit some of the villages normally only viewed from the river. Looking forward to getting back on the river in late Autumn and meeting some of the members.

Indeed!

The most useful one for me at the moment is Dichford, nice cruise from Titchmarsh, Stop before Wellingborough then on to Northampton before the scrotes get out of bed :-)

Members only, similar to goba. Have a look at the Facebook link above.£10 a year. Bargain!

I'd already decided to join, although £10 per year up to September means it covers considerably less than a year. I hoped it would work similarly to the Goba system - indeed I might not have bothered to join if they were free to anyone, not because I'm a cheapskate (although I am) but because they'd probably not have been much use because there would always be someone permanently on them.

I'd already decided to join, although £10 per year up to September means it covers considerably less than a year. I hoped it would work similarly to the Goba system - indeed I might not have bothered to join if they were free to anyone, not because I'm a cheapskate (although I am) but because they'd probably not have been much use because there would always be someone permanently on them.

If I remember correctly subs are due 12 monthly in September - when the association was formed. If you join after September yes it is dearer but it means the membership secretary is not constantly sending reminders out all year.

Goba do exactly the same. Renewals due January, new members joining later in the year pay full subs until the next years renewal.