Looking for some imfo on the Kennet and Avon Canal

captain caveman

Featured Posts

Thanks Martin - I do quite like the back end of our boat, she seems fairly unique for a WB, but I still think the bow looks like a mackerel :)

Reeds??

They must have grown back, I thought we cleared a 11ft wide patch of them on our way down LOL - we meet the Wessex Rose heading in the opposite direction about a quarter mile past the reeds (thankfully), not quite sure how we would have managed

• 4 years later...

I hope it is ok to spark up this thread as it covers a bit of what I am trying to understand. 

My husband and I are very close to buying a dutch barge. Due to work commitments we will be based around Gloucester and given that we want a barge that will be able to handle tidal waters. 

The barge is currently in London and we are looking at cruising it along the k&a. 

I haven't been able to find concrete info on the clearance of the Bruce Tunnel. does anybody have this info handy? 

Also with my reading I am getting a little concerned about the depth. Can anybody shed some light on this?

the barge is 13ft wide, draft 3ft, air draft 6ft

Edited by lorinda

You'd better get your skates on ' cos the Thames is about to close - whoops too late.....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-conditions-closures-restrictions-and-lock-closures#planned-lock-closures-updated-26-october-2018

Molesy Lock on the Thames is now closed until January and not reopening until the end of January 2019....

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Bruce tunnel is not the limiting factor for height or width on the K&A.  3 foot draft should be ok but hard work in places. 3 foot airdraft sounds rather low to me ?

.............Dave

I can't think of anywhere on the K&A with any notable air draft restriction.

And depth is gonna be the biggest problem for big, boat-shaped boats I reckon, not width.

Dear Lorinda, Is yours a real "Dutch barge" or a modern flat bottomed copy? 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The footbridge just by the Hungerford services is allegedly the height restriction on the K&A. There is also a low flat bridge near the farm moorings between Semmington and Bradford. I also suspect that in times of any flow that "High Bridge" in Reading would be challenging. Its pretty scary in a narrowboat. 

We can do Hungerford without taking the exhaust stack and back cabin chimneys off but there are only a few inches to spare.

............Dave

16 hours ago, OldGoat said:

You'd better get your skates on ' cos the Thames is about to close - whoops too late.....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-conditions-closures-restrictions-and-lock-closures#planned-lock-closures-updated-26-october-2018

Molesy Lock on the Thames is now closed until January and not reopening until the end of January 2019....

That's really annoying it didn't show on my canalplan route.

What tools (if any) do you use to plan trips? 

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't think of anywhere on the K&A with any notable air draft restriction.

And depth is gonna be the biggest problem for big, boat-shaped boats I reckon, not width.

Dear Lorinda, Is yours a real "Dutch barge" or a modern flat bottomed copy? 

She real alright. 100 years old and getting surveyed tomorrow so all fingers and toes crossed that she comes up trumps.

Not sure whether canaplan picks up stoppage info except from CRT. Better to check with the navigation authorities directly.

But that apart it is an excellent route planning tool.

You should be able to get through the K&A, but you may struggle with depth in some places and it could be slow-going. How long is your barge?

"so all fingers and toes crossed that she comes up trumps." Not sure I want another Trump!?

We met and moored near a 'real Dutch barge' and its owner on the K&A earlier this year. He was doing a lot of painting and other stuff. Didn't mention he was selling, but might be the same one. It was lovely. He was not looking forward to  Newbury lock and the following low arched bridge. This was because of the flow and the arch of the bridge and the height of the boat cabin. We saw the boat later and it looked fine. Wonder if it's the same one.