Looking for some imfo on the Kennet and Avon Canal

captain caveman

Featured Posts

13ft 6ins will get through all the locks, but you may struggle on some sections passing another boat when there are boats moored on line, as much of the canal bed is barrel shaped, and quite shallow near the edges. Although the K&A is recognised as a wide canal, some sections would be better described describe as a narrow canal with wide locks!

We're 10ft 10in x 57ft and have been down the K&A from Reading as far as the bottom of the Caen Hill flight - at no point was it tight for us.

However, we did keep an eye on the Wessex Rose schedule and roughly planned which stretch we would meet her on, she was the only other wide beam we've met on the move, a couple passed us when we were moored, but hubby was actually steering one of them - so no issues there smile.png

As already stated due to the shape of the canal it can be somewhat challenging mooring up in certain spots. I'd recommend an extra long gang plank if you deep drafted. And ensure you are using centre lines for both your bow and stern or you won't have enough length to tie up properly.

Visitor moorings with a hard edge are few and far between on the western end, decent moorings at Newbury, Hungerford, Crofton Pumping stastion & Caen Hill. Pewsey isn't too bad, but soft sided and we needed the gang plank out, but all wide enough for us to moor up without being a hindrance to other passing boats

Oh and there's Armco just past Bruce Tunnel that makes for a decent mooring as well

ETA the armco bit

Edited by Bettie Boo

Hello, we went through last year with our 58' x 13'6" x 3'3" barge, no problem apart from one gate at Little Bedwyn that we had to clear behind to get it to open properly:

narr2.JPG

I would say that if you were 13' 7" wide, you will struggle near Seend.

Caen Hill flight, no problem at all, but we kept the fenders up most of the time:

2nb.JPG

cheers, David

Hello, we went through last year with our 58' x 13'6" x 3'3" barge, no problem apart from one gate at Little Bedwyn that we had to clear behind to get it to open properly:

narr2.JPG

I would say that if you were 13' 7" wide, you will struggle near Seend.

I think this illustrates one of the issues - a boat 13 foot 6 wide will clearly fit, but there may be problems if you meet similar coming the other way. If you need a one way passage or fancy doing the canal when based elsewhere you'll be fine, I suspect basing such a boat on the K&A would get tedious either for you or for others.

A couple of years ago I did bits of the Grand Union with Mike on Blackrose, which is 12 foot wide. I noticed he made a point of always giving way and holding back when there may be issues passing craft in the opposite direction, that works very well although you have to accept it will slow you down.

A couple of years ago I did bits of the Grand Union with Mike on Blackrose, which is 12 foot wide. I noticed he made a point of always giving way and holding back when there may be issues passing craft in the opposite direction, that works very well although you have to accept it will slow you down.

It didn't take us very long to get our heads around, being in a rush and cruising a widebeam (of any width really) simply don't go hand in hand.

I appreciate canal boating is not a speed sport in any canal boat, in a widebeam it's more of a zimmer-frame adventure cheers.gif

Hi,

I'm looking to do the K&A over the next couple of months (I've checked the stoppages and can work around them). I know the Kennet through Reading can be a bit tricky if it's running high but are there similar problems at the Bristol end on the Avon?

Oh yes. Very much so. 6 boats lost at Hanham last winter. I'll be back later when on break.

The boat 8ft.3 so i should be ok, I dident know if it was a narrow canal like the Brecon and Monmouthshire is.

What the depth of the canal and any height restrictions?

The boat im thinking of buying has 2 out drives/legs bit of a over kill on a canal i know but its a nice boat and a good price and 2 engines are always a safer bet than one out at sea.

It also has quite a high raider beam.

Its canals and rivers is the main use but if im going to have problems with grounding out or height problems i,l have to keep looking.

It also has quite a high raider beam.

Is this a typo and you mean radar.

This sounds very much like a 'cruiser' more suited to rivers than canals.

What air draft is it?

What make and model is it?

I will go and have a search and see if I can find the ''official' figures for the K&A and come back.

Found it, lots of measurements missing but the ones mentioned give 2.4m or 7.87 ft Air draft but do not say over what width this is available but expect a boat of the maximum width, for the canal, should pass

link (PDF document for all C&RT canals) Almost as useless as a chocolate teapot.

Edited by bottle

I haven't bought the boat yet but im all set to go and view it tomorrow, It a Princess 25

But maybe thinking the twin engine set up my be more hassle than its worth.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUxWDgwMA==/z/KC8AAOSwRLZUL6V9/$_86.JPG

Edited by captain caveman

Spent the last couple of days trundling up the K&A, now moored up at Newbury.

My but there are some heavy lock gates and stubborn swing bridges.

With plenty more to come!

Nice to meet you both at Aldermaston and thanks for doing the bridge.

Now at Reading and down the Thames on Tuesday.

Edited by pearley

Good meet you too. Enjoy the Thames with the luxury of lock keepers

With the weather forecast for Tuesday I don't think 'enjoy' is the right word. At least it is a wide river so don't need to slow going past moored boats, thus getting blown across the cut.

Just arrived in Devizes, after a lovely trip across the summit. A very pretty stretch of canal and thankfully lock free for 12 miles.

We must have passed at some point, we've just moored up in Newbury for the night, having left Devizes late last week. Spent 1 evening in Honey Street, 1 in Crofton, 3 in Hungerford and 2 in Kintbury.

Sorry we missed you