DYSON DC44. Great bit of kit

bigcol

Featured Posts

Today I am in mourning

My DC01 has died sad.png

I refuse to believe it is dead.

I want to get it repaired. I have a DC04 that I inherited from my Dad when he died but that hardly gets used - I prefer my DC01. Perhaps I need to bring it to the banter and let Richard Tinker with it. I wonder if it could be the first ever BMC powered Dyson?

Hi,

Well worth paying the Dyson Service charge, they will rebuild any non working ones to virtually new condition for a fixed price.

one owner tested this to the limits by virtually driving over one cleaner - it was rebuilt on site.

Brilliant.

L

Well worth paying the Dyson Service charge, they will rebuild any non working ones to virtually new condition for a fixed price.

90 quid when I had it done

Edited by Bazza2

I will do that but it just failed to work when I pressed the button rather than dying during use.

We last used it on the boat - I took it there as I wanted something more heavy duty than the hand held dyson I have there after doing some maintenance on the window frames. I had not used it since so it is possible it has had a bump or knock that has dislodged a wire during transit

Frequent fault is the mains cable conductors breaking where the cable enters the cleaner.

ps. Have a Google for the Sebo X4 if you are looking for a replacement. Don't be put off by it being bagged, they are huge and cheap and last for months. The cleaners are so well made that you ought to be able to get 20+ years out of one, and much more practical in use than the accursed D**on.

Ours is 12 years old and has had a very hard life without missing a beat. Uniquely among modern cleaners, you can actually replace the motor brushes.

Edited by Kwacker

We have just replaced our Dyson for the boat with a Hoover version. Works better but cant say how long it will last just yet.

Also literally today just bought a Henry (one of the last 1200w ones) to replace our Dyson at home which is dying a slow and painful death.

Never having another Dyson.

Frequent fault is the mains cable conductors breaking where the cable enters the cleaner.

Thanks I have already had that problem (and fixed it) once.

I recently replaced the wand as it was cracked. I was told the geunine items are now obsolete for this model (by a Dyson service centre) so I suspect they may no longer be able to completely rebuild them

I'm pretty sure the DC01 is obsolete now, and it was the only one that they made that was any good - if a little clumsy - in my opinion.

ps look in the motor filters for signs of burning .... when the motor brushes expire it spits out little lumps of red hot carbon which singe the filter. If so, lay it to rest under your favourite tree.

Edited by Kwacker

My Dyson packed up, so I bought a new motor on Ebay for around 20 squids. Easy enough to fit, and works fine.

Basically a Dyson is a load of brightly coloured plastic that they get from bankrupt toy-makers, and a motor that they get from China. The only complicated bit is the marketing that convinces people that Dysons are special. That's where all the money goes.

It's good enough, but I wouldn't buy a new one, unless it was heavily discounted. I just don't like paying £300 for something that costs £30 to make.

I agree!

Our new Henry for at home was on offer at £100. Assume they are selling off the old stock higher wattage versions cheap now that vacuum cleaners have to be lower wattage.

Our small hand held Hoover for the boat was again £100. Far superior to the handheld Dyson we previously had and sucks up far more dust for a fraction of the price.

We certainly won't be buying another Dyson in a hurry.

We have just replaced our Dyson for the boat with a Hoover version. Works better but cant say how long it will last just yet.

Also literally today just bought a Henry (one of the last 1200w ones) to replace our Dyson at home which is dying a slow and painful death.

Never having another Dyson.

Another vote for Henry Vacuum Cleaners.

They are well made Machines, and the Boat's current one has done 10 years good service thus far.

Virtually all the Traditional Boat builders on the Thames use and abuse them!

CT

Another vote for Henry Vacuum Cleaners.

They are well made Machines, and the Boat's current one has done 10 years good service thus far.

Virtually all the Traditional Boat builders on the Thames use and abuse them!

CT

The problem with Henry's is when they discover drugs...

• Greenie 1

Like 'em or loathe 'em, Dysons are eminently rebuildable.....

Have a look at this web site....basically a sort of CWDF for the "vacuuming" community......and you thought it coudn't get much better than here.....wub.pngwub.png

I agree!

Our new Henry for at home was on offer at £100. Assume they are selling off the old stock higher wattage versions cheap now that vacuum cleaners have to be lower wattage.

Our small hand held Hoover for the boat was again £100. Far superior to the handheld Dyson we previously had and sucks up far more dust for a fraction of the price.

We certainly won't be buying another Dyson in a hurry.

Henrys are only 1200w, so unaffected by the legislation until 2017.

That must be the saddest website on the entire www ... I'm loosing the will to live.

Just buy a proper cleaner that works and doesn't require rebuilding or discussion. (see my earlier post)

Well my experience of dysons is the opposite I have experienced 5 (one in each shop one at home one in the studio and one the Mother in laws) All worked perfectly for many years (some are still going well past 10 -12 years).

Good reliable machines in my experience.

By some sort of weird co-incidence after I made my earlier post Jan brought to my attention that the extension/stair tubes on our Dyson ball were jammed and wouldn't withdraw.

"Sod it I thought' serves me right for bulling them up in the forum".

However after a bit of fiddling about and a small application of WD40 and they are sliding in and out again as good as new!

The Dyson lives on!

Henrys are only 1200w, so unaffected by the legislation until 2017.

The new ones are 580 watt.

By some sort of weird co-incidence after I made my earlier post Jan brought to my attention that the extension/stair tubes on our Dyson ball were jammed and wouldn't withdraw.

"Sod it I thought' serves me right for bulling them up in the forum".

However after a bit of fiddling about and a small application of WD40 and they are sliding in and out again as good as new!

The Dyson lives on!

Added bonus I have just found with Henry.

Liam appears to be bonding with Henry. If I had known all it would take to get him to do the vacuuming was to buy one with eyes on I would have done it years ago!

Henrys have a half power setting of 600w

http://www.numatic.co.uk/mobile/products4.aspx?id=1&r=4&sr=1

Yes the old ones do. The new ones are 580 watt only!

How many times do I have to say this?

Here have a link instead.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00N3MDSDS?pc_redir=1413712722&robot_redir=1

I have little enthusiasm for Dysons. The daughter of our elderly next door neighbour bought one for him, but had it delivered to us to unpack and try out before it was given to him. The manufacturing quality was rubbish, it would not pick up dirt from the carpet and the rotary drive belt snapped within ten minutes. I had a quick look and discovered the the roller had been installed the wrong way round and the pulleys were out of line, twisting the belt. After turning the roller round and installing a new belt it did actualy work, but then one of the plastic fittings broke, it lasted about three years before it finally stopped working complertely. In the meantime out 25 year old Electrolux continued to work without any problems.

A few years ago we decided to replace our (still working) Electrolux with a more modern one and did a lot of research. We ended buying a very well built Miele which has given sterling service ever since. In the meantime the Elexctrolux continuoes to earn it's living cleaning the bell loft in a local Church.

When i got my house and needed at vaccum I got a DC04 recon off ebay, its clearly built in a lockup from the bits of others but the tool fall of the top and fliptop cover on the handle is long gone, it works a treat.

Daniel

The trouble is with the Dyson cleaners is that once you've bought the advertising hype, then paid over-the-odds for the cleaner, you are hardly likely to knock it, so the real truth about them tends to stay hidden.

I find people only truly realise what a heap of junk they are after they have experienced what a proper vacuum cleaner is capable of.

Whilst they have been wasting their time trying to be bagless, other manufacturer's have worked on perfecting the bagged cleaner, and succeeded!

Bagging it and binning it is by far the most hygenic way of dealing with what you suck up of your floors.

The trouble is with the Dyson cleaners is that once you've bought the advertising hype, then paid over-the-odds for the cleaner, you are hardly likely to knock it, so the real truth about them tends to stay hidden.

I find people only truly realise what a heap of junk they are after they have experienced what a proper vacuum cleaner is capable of.

Whilst they have been wasting their time trying to be bagless, other manufacturer's have worked on perfecting the bagged cleaner, and succeeded!

Bagging it and binning it is by far the most hygenic way of dealing with what you suck up of your floors.

I agree. cheers.gif

We are converts after years of battling to try and keep the Dysons plodding on.