I Smell Evil Santa

jodansgang

Featured Posts

Last year we got it wrong, we took the fight to Santa and he won.

This year we need a new strategy and I think I have thought of a beauty.

That is why I have recently become a Muslim and I have taught my children to turn their pages to the right.

We have changed our names to the Mucktards and have burned all of our westernised clothing and replaced them for bed linen.

Now this might not be to everybodies liking but it's the only way I can see an end to this SuedoPagenChristian nightmare.

• Greenie 1

I claim the prize for seeing the most improbable Christmas display ever, even though it was in December.

The reason is that it was at Muscat airport. Yes, Muscat in Oman, an overwhelmingly Muslim country. It featured about four or five dancing animatronic Santas around a tree, with some Christmas-related music playing; might have been Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer. It was about 40C outside the terminal, and I was the only Westerner present as far as I could see. Not that there were many people about, Muscat airport was pretty quiet both times I went through, changing planes on a return trip to Karachi.

Last year we got it wrong, we took the fight to Santa and he won.

This year we need a new strategy and I think I have thought of a beauty.

That is why I have recently become a Muslim and I have taught my children to turn their pages to the right.

We have changed our names to the Mucktards and have burned all of our westernised clothing and replaced them for bed linen.

Now this might not be to everybodies liking but it's the only way I can see an end to this SuedoPagenChristian nightmare.

Hey I think you might be on to something, wearing bedclothes, bedspreads and things would give much more scope for concealing weapons,I have to admit that my Latex Onesie did not leave much room for me let alone any weapons he-he The Big Red Man won't even see us coming

Phil

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. It is a totally secular holiday with no religious connotations whatsoever. Tradition has it that the first Thanksgiving was in the early years of the colonies. American settlers had arrived, had a bad harvest, endured a brutal winter where many died then the next year, with the help of local indigenous peoples who clued them in to indigenous seeds to sow, had a bountiful harvest and so threw a big party where all were invited. Typical "first Thanksgiving" depictions show pilgrims and Indians all mingling together and having a good ol' time.

The Thanksgiving holiday is the most traveled time of the year. Families here tend to get together more for Thanksgiving than they do for Christmas. There are some Thanksgiving football games, but the big day for football is January 1 for college ball and then the Superbowl in late January, or sometime around there - not a fan so don't really know/care.

LOL

But it originates from the British/European Harvest Festivals Alan, or do you think us foreigners (only been here 15 years now) should not be able to celebrate our own traditions.

I really don't understand how anyone can be against a day set aside each year to be able to give thanks for what we have. Regardless of religion or non-religion, how can having a day to take stock of all the good things in our life be a bad thing?

I think with Trick or Treat it's the swamping of the land with merchandise derived from the US alternative to the UK traditions of Halloween to the point that the original is all but lost.

I'm afraid it also gets on my t*ts that a huge number of folk mark the start of the Christmas 'season' because they've seen a convoy of left hand drive trucks conveying an aggressively merchandised soft drink on telly. And 'Happy Holidays' will definitely get a two word response

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. It is a totally secular holiday with no religious connotations whatsoever. Tradition has it that the first Thanksgiving was in the early years of the colonies. American settlers had arrived, had a bad harvest, endured a brutal winter where many died then the next year, with the help of local indigenous peoples who clued them in to indigenous seeds to sow, had a bountiful harvest and so threw a big party where all were invited. Typical "first Thanksgiving" depictions show pilgrims and Indians all mingling together and having a good ol' time.

The Thanksgiving holiday is the most traveled time of the year. Families here tend to get together more for Thanksgiving than they do for Christmas. There are some Thanksgiving football games, but the big day for football is January 1 for college ball and then the Superbowl in late January, or sometime around there - not a fan so don't really know/care.

That's a bit US centric if I may say so....

It is the most important holiday in the USA and although it is supposed to be non religious inevitably it is as all Americans ( nearly) are.

These first settlements were also communal, they shared all their produce. Ironic to think the first Americans were communists!

That's a bit US centric if I may say so....

If you mean the whole post, it's because I was talking about the US holiday. If you mean being on the fourth Thursday in November, you've lost me on that reference.

The relationship did, however, go generally downhill as time progressed....

That's an understatement if ever there was one. Kinda proves the axiom "No good deed goes unpunished."

It is the most important holiday in the USA and although it is supposed to be non religious inevitably it is as all Americans ( nearly) are.

These first settlements were also communal, they shared all their produce. Ironic to think the first Americans were communists!

I don't know what makes you think that most Americans are religious, I certainly don't see that living here. In recent years the bible thumpers have certainly been the most vociferous people here, but they hardly constitute the majority. (Sad fact, the only reason the right has any power in this country is that the left sat out the 2010 election - to register their disappointment in the little democrat politicians had accomplished - so the right took over many state governments, which, because 2010 was a census year, meant they were in charge of redistricting and they gerrymandered congressional districts to the extent that, in 2012, congressional democrats received 2million more votes than republicans yet republicans retained a solid majority in the House of Representatives.)

I love to point out to right wingers that our founding fathers were communists. It makes their heads explode in a most amusing way.

If you mean the whole post, it's because I was talking about the US holiday. If you mean being on the fourth Thursday in November, you've lost me on that reference.

Yup I get it.

As I said US centric, as in its only you that celebrate Thanksgiving.........

Hey I think you might be on to something, wearing bedclothes, bedspreads and things would give much more scope for concealing weapons,I have to admit that my Latex Onesie did not leave much room for me let alone any weapons he-he The Big Red Man won't even see us coming

Phil

EXACTLY.

Sir Phil, even after our forsed retreat back into the hills of Lincolnshire, YOU, ME and MANY OTHERS, are comunicating.

I hear the drums of our fellow Freedom Fighter, The Nulf. His might is awakening and in that his whole being is changing the night sky.

LINNEN MY FRIEND, LINNEN.

Now I am a secret fakey dakey Muslim I don't have to worry about this years coal allowance......it's under my LINNEN. This year, as a fakey dakey, under my LINNEN, I've got four boxes of Cooksons Matches and fifteen boxes of BnM's Firelighters.

I'm ready Sir Phil.

I'm ALLAHwing myself some time this year to fight this Red John Barsteward, Evil Jimmy Saville looking Red Coated Christian King Cnut some time to make his first move.

And He's played it.

Game on.

Running down the M1, last year, in my rubber onesie, wasn't cool.

This year, we need to be cool.

I'm outside right now wearing an old silk curtain on my head and an off white waterproof single mattress protector about my birthday suit and I feel cool, well, cold, but that's because I haven't got my slippers on.

Good point, the inclement weather needs to be considered, I was thinking Flannelette might be warmer, I did consider an electric blanket but this proved impractable due to the voltage drop along a very, very long extension lead (not to mention the weight of the lead) I have assumed the name of Mustaphafag, do you reckon this would work?

Phil

Ah Harvest Festival - the day my mum yelped when I reminded her then dragged a tin of peaches or some such out of the store cupboard so I didn't go to school empty handed :D As a townie born and bred that's all it ever meant to me.

Christmas is always a time of mixed emotions. I bloody hate the long drawn out build up, those same old Christmas songs over the sound system in every shop we visit - what was magical when we were kids is now tired and jaded.

I think that's the problem now - our children have grown up. Christmas is magical with kids and just a booze and eating fest without them. I cant wait for the next generation to start breeding so we can have children opening their presents again. I shall never forget the first Christmas that our son was aware of what was going on - he woke up at the crack of dawn and then guarded the stocking on his door until we got up and cried "look look! Mummy, Daddy - Santa came! Can I see what he brought me?" He's 26 now but I will never forget that moment.

I work in a large home enhancement/DIY store and will be spending 4 evenings this coming week with a team of 5 other people bringing christmas into our store. It's the one time of year I get an overwhelming band of volunteers who want to work and love being part of the whole transformation. Like it or not christmas is coming and for retailers it's an oppurtunity to get people back into store and away from online shopping. Customers love looking round the christmas decorations with and without children in tow and genuinely if I had a pound for every customer who had excitedly asked me, when will you be getting your christmas stuff, I'd be well on my way to buying my first large christmas present!

Like it or not christmas is coming and for retailers it's an oppurtunity to get people back into store and away from online shopping.

But at least if I shop on-line, it is my choice whether I'm forced to endure Slade, Mud, Greg Lake, Cliff Richard, Paul McCartney, Johnny Mathis, Boney M et al.

In the same way as they have restricted the period when you can have firework displays around November 5th, they should also place stringent limits on the number of days on which this stuff can be played in shops and shopping centres!

In the same way as they have restricted the period when you can have firework displays around November 5th, they should also place stringent limits on the number of days on which this stuff can be played in shops and shopping centres!

Have they? There's one pretty much every time a cruise liner leaves the docks here.

SANTA???? Surely here in the UK he is 'Father Christmas'...!

Bah humbug to creeping americanism.

Bah humbug to everything!

MtB

WhenI was a kid, a looooong time ago he was always either. Anyway now the link has been established between Santa and Red John not to mention Satan (all big red fellows) I can tell you He is going down!

Phil