I Smell Evil Santa

jodansgang

Featured Posts

Last year I popped in to the big Marston's pub in Braunston ( can't remember what it's now called) in late August for a pint and nibble on the way home. I was appalled to see a small Christmas tree on a table, surrounded by several wrapped boxes. I was seriously considering a letter to the brewers, but then was hit by CBA syndrome....not the Canal Boatbuilders Association, but couldn't be arsed!

I realise that businesses have to promote in advance, but this seemed ridiculously early. The cut offs and sandals I was wearing sat ill with thoughts of Christmas on a warm sunny day. The trend seems set to continue. A visit to a garden centre near Stratford in early September rewarded me with a Hallowe'en display, nearly 2 months early. Is it me, or are promotions much too premature these days? I don't recall things being quite so early years ago, though as a child in the 50s I used to be dismayed to see " Back to School" posters in my local Woolworths soon after we'd broken up for summer. I didn't appreciate such an early reminders!

Grumpily yours

Dave

Went to BnM's, caught a wiff of Evil Santa.

Anybody else's nasal passages flaring?.

Yes our local ASDA has started putting Xmas 'stuff' out.

Quite looking forward to it this year what with it being our Granddaughter's first Xmas (not that she will know much about it at 5 months old mind!)

Now I'm all in for Christmas - I love Christmas, but flippin heck, can't we please do Halloween and Thanksgiving first??!?

Thanksgiving? We don't do Thanksgiving here Bettie...

When is it anyway?

WHAT is it anyway?!!

MtB

I used to be dismayed to see " Back to School" posters in my local Woolworths soon after we'd broken up for summer.

Absolutely agree - it did put a damper on the prospect of long, carefree summer holidays stretching out before us.

Still, look what happened to Woolworth's. Serves 'em right.

When is it anyway?

WHAT is it anyway?!!

MtB

Essentially it's a celebration of or thanking for 'The Harvest'. A bit like our 'Harvest Festival' where this is still celebrated over here, but done in a similar way to Xmas day, celebratory meal/get together with family etc etc...

I presume (Bettie will confirm or other wise) there is a religious element to it too.

Now I'm all in for Christmas - I love Christmas, but flippin heck, can't we please do Halloween and Thanksgiving first??!?

Halloween yes, Thanksgiving No. There's enough Americanisation (with an 's', damn you spellchecker) already, including Trick or bloody Treat.

• Greenie 1

Halloween yes, Thanksgiving No. There's enough Americanisation (with an 's', damn you spellchecker) already, including Trick or bloody Treat.

But of course if you are American or indeed Canadian but happen to be over here you may still actually celebrate it.........;)

But of course if you are American or indeed Canadian but happen to be over here you may still actually celebrate it.........wink.png

Yes, point taken - more coffee required. In fact I wouldn't dream of passing that sort of comment about other non-indigenous celebrations so apologies BB. There's does however seem to be a disproportionate availability of retail produce.

Saw Christmas in Debenhams, nooooooo says me.

Thats it no more shops until......whenever.

As for Garden Centres no no no.

Had really really mind numbing xmas last year...all meant well, twas first without dad, normally him and I, couple of my sons and maybe one of their friends used to have day together...lovely not to much fuss and memories shared of exploits from the past and dad would tell them of his travels abroad.

No Christmas decorations at dads just fine wine and beer for the boys.

Spent last year with daughter and son-in laws family, with lots of others over a few days. Sensory over load, have been invited again but want to spend it on boat just me and memories of dad. I have neither agreed nor rejected proposed invite....

Saw Christmas in Debenhams, nooooooo says me.

Thats it no more shops until......whenever.

As for Garden Centres no no no.

Had really really mind numbing xmas last year...all meant well, twas first without dad, normally him and I, couple of my sons and maybe one of their friends used to have day together...lovely not to much fuss and memories shared of exploits from the past and dad would tell them of his travels abroad.

No Christmas decorations at dads just fine wine and beer for the boys.

Spent last year with daughter and son-in laws family, with lots of others over a few days. Sensory over load, have been invited again but want to spend it on boat just me and memories of dad. I have neither agreed nor rejected proposed invite....

Quite a poignant post and one I can relate to. Patty ann do spend some time with your family when you can, because the time may come when you are unable to, take it from a old man who knows.

Phil

When is it anyway?

WHAT is it anyway?!!

Quite!

Though I hate the ridiculously early run in to Christmas, I'd still rather have that than any more American imports. (Don't get me started on "Trick or Treat"!).

When is it anyway?

WHAT is it anyway?!!

MtB

Ahhh but I believe you do do Thanksgiving here Mike, but you all refer to it as a Harvest Festival.

When is it? Depends if your Canadian or a Yank. We celebrate it on the second Monday in Oct (this coming Monday the 13th), the Americans celebrate it in November and for them it's tied in closely with an annual American Football event. I like to think ours has maintained more of the traditional theme (although barely)

What is it? It's roots come from the European Harvest Festival tradition, basically giving thanks for the harvest and all we have, whether it be family, health, prosperity, a wood burner that works, the boats we all have, the life we live. Basically it's a day for "grumpy ol gits" to look on the bright side for one day a year & be thankful for what they have.icecream.gif

Essentially it's a celebration of or thanking for 'The Harvest'. A bit like our 'Harvest Festival' where this is still celebrated over here, but done in a similar way to Xmas day, celebratory meal/get together with family etc etc...

I presume (Bettie will confirm or other wise) there is a religious element to it too.

Exactly TDH, when I was growing up, it was a church service on the Sunday with the church decorated with harvest items, and then a large Turkey dinner with all the trimmings and lots of time to reminisce about the good things we experienced during the past year.

Yes, point taken - more coffee required. In fact I wouldn't dream of passing that sort of comment about other non-indigenous celebrations so apologies BB. There's does however seem to be a disproportionate availability of retail produce.

No problem at all. It's funny really, another one of our national holidays which we celebrate which isn't observed in the UK is the 3rd Monday in May. Again a national holiday in celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday.......geee I wonder where the origins of that one came from cheers.gif

Do you get trick or treater's visiting your boats?

Ohhhhh I don't know, we only moved on in February......better get some treats in (just in case of course) icecream.gif

ETA - spellin

Edited by Bettie Boo

Quite!

Though I hate the ridiculously early run in to Christmas, I'd still rather have that than any more American imports. (Don't get me started on "Trick or Treat"!).

LOL

But it originates from the British/European Harvest Festivals Alan, or do you think us foreigners (only been here 15 years now) should not be able to celebrate our own traditions.

I really don't understand how anyone can be against a day set aside each year to be able to give thanks for what we have. Regardless of religion or non-religion, how can having a day to take stock of all the good things in our life be a bad thing?