Castlefield Basin Info

junior

Featured Posts

Moored up at Castlefield Basin in the biggest arm. Not sure if it has a name. Not the YHA one but the other big one. What a cracking city centre mooring this is.

Can anyone tell me if there is any free parking close by as I have my girlfriend coming to visit for the weekend. There is a car park right next to the boat that has this sign in it.

20141009_181108_zpskrc3effi.jpg

I'm trying to work out if it means that outside of monday-friday it is a free car park. The farvend of it has a sign saying "Bass parking only beyond this point", but there is no other signage in the first part except tiny numbers along the wall by each space. Alternatively the YHA have said I can book a room (and not use it) for £15 that will come with free parking.

Has anyone been in the Science and Industy museum? Is it worth visiting? Will a girl like it or shall I go on my own tomorrow?

Can anyone recommend a pub close by? I'm wary that there is a 'Gay Village' somewhere close and don't want to end up there by mistake.

Anything else worth knowing about Castlefield Basin?

Here's my mooring

20141009_150919_zpsiwg3ru1u.jpg

I think name is of pub is deansgate? .

Science and industry museum was ok.

Maybe shops would be a better option Trafford centre not far by bus .

Metro buses are free around city centre .

Gay village is canal street along side the locks

I'm wary that there is a 'Gay Village' somewhere close and don't want to end up there by mistake.

Coward. Or do you mean that you do want to end up there intentionally?

Mind you, having been there myself, I'm not too sure I would rush back. It's all a bit Northern and not sure I could stand another volley of "It's raining men!" or "I will survive!".

Edited by nicknorman

We moored just where you are a couple of weeks ago. There is a great pub called The Knott nearby. Good food (which finishes at 8PM) and even greater beer. They do a good Sunday roast. We spent a good five hours at the MoSI, very interesting and well worth a visit. I don't know about the car park, it did sort of empty out overnight apart from the odd dodgy white BMW turning up, meeting people and going away again. The gay bars are no problem if you end up in them by mistake. I and my girlfriend were very welcome.

Edited by Alway Swilby
  • Greenie 1

There is a pub almost in front of where you are moored but on other side of water. Beer is good and big choice. Food looked OK from what others were eating. There is a pub called Deansgate, strangely enough on Deansgate but found the beer only okish. The Knott Bar serves good beer.

As boatman says there are free buses around the city centre. There are 3 routes coloured green, orange and purple. The green one stops outside Deansgate station.

Have always assumed the car park by the wharf to be private but the sign would imply you can park overnight or at weekends. Otherwise if you go through the gap between the flats and restaurant opposite you, there is a public car park on the opposite side of the dual carriageway.

Don't worry about the gay village. It's a fair walk up the Rochdale 9 so you're not liable to run into it by mistake.

The MSI is worth a visit but most of it is engineering. If your girlfriend likes steam pumping engines and locomotives, aeroplanes or space then take her. Otherwise go on your own. Its free.

If you want a good restaurant then Don Marco just past the viaduct on Deansgate.

As said you can get a bus to the Trafford Centre but it does have its own moorings so go by boat.

Edited by pearley

The pub opposite is called the Wharf. We eat there a couple of weeks ago, when moored where you are. Highly recommended.

MSI is interesting, even for ladies - how about the exhibit on the history of Manchester's sewage system or the working exhibits that show you how the cotton industry worked? Couldn't find any Gardners in the engine hall though, had to go to the Anson Engine museum at Higher Poynton for those - now that is a good museum.

There is a pub almost in front of where you are moored but on other side of water. Beer is good and big choice. Food looked OK from what others were eating. There is a pub called Deansgate, strangely enough on Deansgate but found the beer only okish. The Knott Bar serves good beer.

As boatman says there are free buses around the city centre. There are 3 routes coloured green, orange and purple. The green one stops outside Deansgate station.

Have always assumed the car park by the wharf to be private but the sign would imply you can park overnight or at weekends. Otherwise if you go through the gap between the flats and restaurant opposite you, there is a public car park on the opposite side of the dual carriageway.

Don't worry about the gay village. It's a fair walk up the Rochdale 9 so you're not liable to run into it by mistake.

The MSI is worth a visit but most of it is engineering. If your girlfriend likes steam pumping engines and locomotives, aeroplanes or space then take her. Otherwise go on your own. Its free.

If you want a good restaurant then Don Marco just past the viaduct on Deansgate.

As said you can get a bus to the Trafford Centre but it does have its own moorings so go by boat.

Don't think so.

Last 5 words of the first (sort of) paragraph "Overnight parking is not permitted"

Dean might know somewhere suitable to park

20141009_181108_zpskrc3effi.jpg

Edited by Graham Davis

Lucky you ! Manchester is a favourite place to visit and it's been too long since I was able to get away long enough to visit. I used to like the pubs.

Museum of Science and Industry is brilliant , ask your GF what she thinks and give her the choice . There's plenty of other stuff to do,

Its well worth a walk up through the gay village, lively place with a good atmosphere though increasingly spoilt by hen parties.

Another big vote for the Science museum.

Lots of interesting pubs in town, but busy at weekends, but if you haven't yet done so do try the big "Wharf" almost right opposite you......

Lots of good real ale (though a little expensive), and good food, though we just order sides (chips/salads/garlic bread etc) and eat downstairs in the bar area. If you have a dog you get a bonio.

.............Dave

Can anyone tell me if there is any free parking close by as I have my girlfriend coming to visit for the weekend.

Has anyone been in the Science and Industy museum? Is it worth visiting? Will a girl like it or shall I go on my own tomorrow?

Come on, I remember your good lady visiting you in Rugeley..... 1st days cruise to Elsan Point.......2nd day - trip out to watch Brighton and Hove Albion.......

She will love the museum.clapping.gif

Come on, I remember your good lady visiting you in Rugeley..... 1st days cruise to Elsan Point.......2nd day - trip out to watch Brighton and Hove Albion.......

She will love the museum.clapping.gif

and on the 3rd day I made her walk from Tixall wide back to Rugeley on the car shuffle!

Where to start. As already stated the wharf and the Knott are good pubs. If you walk up Deansgate locks the Britons Protection is good. Oddly I was out for lunch at a Spanish wine importers near there called Elvera with my brother today. He also has a Lorenz built boat which I believe Albion is

Is it Jack/Jackdaw, the gas free boat? What a coincidence. I had Albions first owner with me yesterday for the final leg, he used to work for the Lorenz's and as we were coming past Old Trafford who should we find doing rubbish clearance but Paul Lorenz & Liam of this parish. Another coincidence, so we tied up and had lunch and a natter and we did talk about the other boats they made but he couldn't remember their names.

No Clio number four built in Victoria

Ah, 'the other one built in Viktoria', yes that got a mention too yesterday.

Thanks for all the information folks. I'm going to do the car shuffle from Yarwoods Basin to Bedford Basin this morning and visit the museum this afternoon on my own. I'll allocate tomorrow to shopping with the mrs.

I'm assuming he means the liverpool long boat Vicktoria which was used as a 'dry dock' for a while.

0520A10F-5D9C-4491-BC90-8C0F78F8521E_zps

33C48EAD-1D97-40D6-9C31-1D043F165EDB_zps

Ah yes, and there be my boat. I suspect George knew what he was referring to, but others wouldn't. I think those photos were taken by Roger Lorenz, or certainly from his collection iirc.