Aluminiub boat

the barnacle

Featured Posts

It claims to be produced from Sea Otter drawings and by the same people under a different name, but I have never seen a Sea Otter like that - usually they are less shapely, with transom sterns.

Just noticed the thread title, have you got a cold?

The rear door looks rather odd - its not central - or is it an odd camera angle. And not cheap if no engine included. Actually probably not cheap if an engine is included.

Don't forget it's made from aluminium. No rust, no overplating, no lifting every 2-4 years for blacking...

I would not trust this advert. It says 'Will post to United Kingdom.'[/size]

That's just the standard eBay format.

It's not a reason to not trust the seller.

This is a genuine sea otter, built by the sea otter team, I know one of them who works for the firm.They are still going all be it in a reduced capacity. Aluminium boats are not cheap, but the ongoing maintenance is far less than for a steel boat. Paint work, blacking is purely cosmetic. It is a genuine advert. The stern shape is a fairly new innovation, in my opinion much better on the eye than the usual square shape they used to have.

national velvet, on 09 Oct 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

This is a genuine sea otter, built by the sea otter team, I know one of them who works for the firm.They are still going all be it in a reduced capacity. Aluminium boats are not cheap, but the ongoing maintenance is far less than for a steel boat. Paint work, blacking is purely cosmetic. It is a genuine advert. The stern shape is a fairly new innovation, in my opinion much better on the eye than the usual square shape they used to have.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't taken a particularly close look at the photos and hadn't noticed the departure from the usual square stern design, I agree it looks better IMHO.

I can't do a 'Linky' thing, But maybe another member can help out.

aalco

Aluminum Alloy 5083.

It's worth a read.

Is the square stern really that bad,,I've never really thought about it, it certainly gives a lot more usable space,,,I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww14skiysauu8ay/IMAG0217.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4msmq5boatc9nh/IMAG0218.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

All I can say is I've had my (2004) boat 8 ish years in fresh and salt water (Mainly Salt) as a full time CCr Livaboard, had 3 Full Surveys done in different parts of the country, by 3 different surveyors, I've got No Anodes on the Hull at all, and all is fine with mine. (Don't forget, it's an Alloy, maybe that makes a difference).

I can't speak for other Aluminum boats.

• Greenie 2

All I can say is I've had my (2004) boat 8 ish years in fresh and salt water (Mainly Salt) as a full time CCr Livaboard, had 3 Full Surveys done in different parts of the country, by 3 different surveyors, I've got No Anodes on the Hull at all, and all is fine with mine. (Don't forget, it's an Alloy, maybe that makes a difference).

I can't speak for other Aluminum boats.

Very interesting, thanks!

Don't forget it's made from aluminium. No rust, no overplating, no lifting every 2-4 years for blacking...

But they dent like crazy. If you are high mileage or heavy handed it will look like a mirror ball after a few years!

Our Sea Otter is 16 years old, never been painted and taken out of water for the first time some weeks ago. No rust, only a few minor dents and only needs painting cosmetically around the hatch. If you've got the money I rest my case...try doing that with steel !

But they dent like crazy. If you are high mileage or heavy handed it will look like a mirror ball after a few years!

Having had a Sea Otter for over 15 years, I don't find that they dent like crazy. The stuff they are made of is quite thick - about half an inch, I seem to remember, and I think it would take some wallop to dent it.

Every time Sea Otters are mentioned someone comments on how easily dented they are and that is not what we have found. Also attending events with lots of Sea Otters, I think you would be hard pushed to find dents. Just my view, of course. Perhaps those who don't have Sea Otters know better :-)

haggis

Hi ya,

Loads of Knooks n crannies visited over the years in her, Granted maybe not as much as you or other members, but I would say a fair bit for a CCr livaboard.

She doesn't look like a glitter ball 'Yet', bit it's still a work in progress.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14mkh0tsqe37gz5/2014-06-02%2020.54.50.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Trundled past a few Sea Otters in the last week and not one have I seen with dents - although some of them were definitely getting on a bit, you could only tell from the faded/tatty paintwork, no corrosion though!