Am I taking the p...

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Just a question really. Does anyone here feel that everyone who doesn't pay for a 'home' mooring is taking the p regardless of how far they move?

There is also another factor in the big CC'er debate. Before I chose to buy a boat to live on and travel around in, I was careful to check that my lifestyle choice was within the rules and within budget. My fear is that one day I will eventually be forced to pay for a mooring I'll never use just to satisfy those who might answer yes to my first question.

As long as you're moving around enough to satisfy CRT no one can have a problem with you. Some people for whatever reason don't seem to like CC'ers even when they're totally compliant and have a blog full of pictures to prove it, no one should be obliged to have a mooring unless they need to stay in an area long term.

K

• Greenie 1

"Proper" CCing, and I'm sure that remark will stir some responses, is a lot of people's dreams. Let's hope it never comes to a point where CRT demand a home mooring before issuing a licence.

Go for it!

Bob

The first bit I agree 100% my only comment to the 2nd bit is I am in favour of the idea of a requirement for a provisional CCers licence as discussed on the other threads.

Edited by John V

Just a question really. Does anyone here feel that everyone who doesn't pay for a 'home' mooring is taking the p regardless of how far they move?

There is also another factor in the big CC'er debate. Before I chose to buy a boat to live on and travel around in, I was careful to check that my lifestyle choice was within the rules and within budget. My fear is that one day I will eventually be forced to pay for a mooring I'll never use just to satisfy those who might answer yes to my first question.

Why would anybody who matters think that.

If somebody thinks somebody has no home mooring is taking the piss purely on that basis then their opinion is not worth even contemplating or considering is it?

...and why would you worry anyway, if you are satisfied you are complying with your requirements and are happy that CRT will be too then no problem as far as I can see.

All these circular never ending repetitive threads about CCing and 'moving enough' seem to do is end up planting doubt in the minds of those who I would wager CRT would be quite happy with.

Pure envy by us recreational boaters. We need more CCers moving all year round to keep the system open.

Sorry but I take issue with that. There may be envy on the part of some of us recreational boaters but I niether envy the CCing lifestyle nor do I in any other way feel the need to criticise or feel jealous of them.

I choose a different lifestyle just have they have done (in most cases at least) there is far too much stuff around suggesting there is a huge divide or jealousy by either side around on these boards at the moment when in reality there seems to be in the main a harmonious relationship where it matters ie on the cut itsef.

Half the time I don't even know if I'm sharing a conversation or a lock with a CCer unless it comes up in the discussion. And let's not get into 'well if they have coal or logs on the roof its a dead give away'because we do that too in autum/winter.

It just doesn't matter does it?

Sorry but I take issue with that. There may be envy on the part of some of us recreational boaters but I niether envy the CCing lifestyle nor do I in any other way feel the need to criticise or feel jealous of them.

I choose a different lifestyle just have they have done (in most cases at least) there is far too much stuff around suggesting there is a huge divide or jealousy by either side around on these boards at the moment when in reality there seems to be in the main a harmonious relationship where it matters ie on the cut itsef.

Half the time I don't even know if I'm sharing a conversation or a lock with a CCer unless it comes up in the discussion. And let's not get into 'well if they have coal or logs on the roof its a dead give away'because we do that too in autum/winter.

clapping.gif

As long as you have a regular 9-5 one-location job or kids in school, anything that makes you fixed and largely immovable - then you cannot possibly claim to be a genuine CCer

Not if you have a car and don't mind driving to work.

I certainly don't hold that view.

It would be a ridiculous position to take.

I do take the view that there should be a separate (paid for) provision that would allow those who don't want a single mooring and don't want to move out of a particular area.

I have absolutely no problem with genuine CCers, in fact one day I hope that we can fulfil a dream to do so, although we plan to do a mixture of coastal and inland waters.

We all choose different ways in which to enjoy our time afloat. It is inevitable that at times these choices will be at odds with someone else's ideal.

The only people you need approval from are those at CRT.

As long as you have a regular 9-5 one-location job or kids in school, anything that makes you fixed and largely immovable - then you cannot possibly claim to be a genuine CCer.

I am more than happy with genuine CCers but quasi CCers as above are the (minority) who spoilt it and cause resentment to rise to the surface and thus all the acrimony that we have all seen.

Phil

By definition, highly unlikely it would be a CMer though.smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

By definition, highly unlikely it would be a CMer though.:)

George ex nb Alton retired

Quite true but they could of course just be moving the boat to have a monthly pump out....

The first bit I agree 100% my only comment to the 2nd bit is I am in favour of the idea of a requirement for a provisional CCers licence as discussed on the other threads.

That's one thing I've never got, in the first couple of years most CC'ers put in more miles than anyone it always seems to me. After a couple of years and having been most places they then seem to slow down a bit so how would monitoring them in the first years help? Other than you would more quickly be able to spot the ones who never had any intention to comply with the rules and bought a boat with the intention of staying in one place. Maybe no one with a job that requires them to be at a place of work on a shift pattern or anyone with kids in school shouldn't be give CC statue as doing either is incompatible with being a CCer.

K

• Greenie 1

The more I look at it the more a genuinely believe that loads of CMers just aren't aware of the rules. That's not an excuse I understand but I think that there are loads of people who buy a boat, think the can drift about and then start to realise the reality.

I think there needs to be a guide produced for those thinking of buying a boat.

If I had gone for that welfare job I would have pushed for that.

Edited by Wanted

Maybe no one with a job that requires them to be at a place of work on a shift pattern or anyone with kids in school shouldn't be give CC statue as doing either is incompatible with being a CCer.

K

It's quite possible to CC and work in one place, I have a few friends that are doing it. They cover plenty of distance and sometimes have to drive quite a way to work, but they don't seem to mind.