Best knot?

Krusty

Featured Posts

A bow, like tying a shoe lace looks very nice but difficult to tie with only one ropes end. It can be done though by dividing it into two loops.

Seriously, did you know there's a right way and a wrong way to tie shoe laces?

I spent a large part of my life doing them wrong!

Then I found http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tying.htm

and buried in there (ignore fancy stuff) is a very simple change.

My life has changed ....

Edited to show proper URL

Edited by keble

Seriously, did you know there's a right way and a wrong way to tie shoe laces?

I spent a large part of my life doing them wrong!

Then I found http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/tying.htm

and buried in there (ignore fancy stuff) is a very simple change.

My life has changed ....

Edited to show proper URL

Me too!

My laces stay done up now that I have learned to tie them reef knot fashion rather than as a granny knot. No more double knots needed so I can untie them quickly too

Pity it took me fifty years or more to find it out

Can I add a vote for the bowline, which I don't think has been mentioned thus far?

Useful for dropping over large bollards, or tieing on to mooring rings, or to mooring pins with a ring on, and then tightening the rope using a tugboat/lightermans hitch at the other end.

I use the hangmans noose on the centre stud. And a version of the lightermans for the bollard which I cant describe (only demonstrate) as it involves twisting of the hands.

Edited by mark99

I use the hangmans noose on the centre stud. And a version of the lightermans for the bollard which I cant describe (only demonstrate) as it involves twisting of the hands.

I'd be surprised if you use a proper hangman's noose - it is quite a complex knot to make. I assume you mean you do use some sort of slipknot rather than perhaps a bowline, but what is the point of that?

Tam

I'd be surprised if you use a proper hangman's noose - it is quite a complex knot to make. I assume you mean you do use some sort of slipknot rather than perhaps a bowline, but what is the point of that?

Tam

It's a hangmans noose and it is not that complicated. Picture below.

If you want complicated, try a bimini twist knot. wink.png

20141012_121950_resizedmmm_zps0395583c.j

ETA I change knots all the time - I'm not suggesting this is the best one or even a logical choice. Last week I had a bowline on the stud. I just like knots!

Edited by mark99

I once sent a young apprentice to Woolworths for some "sky hooks". The trouble was he came back about 45 minutes later.....with some.

They were something to do with holding curtains up.

I just said "Thanks very much".

Rob....

Got him out of your hair for 45 mins though....

Can I add a vote for the bowline, which I don't think has been mentioned thus far?

Useful for dropping over large bollards, or tieing on to mooring rings, or to mooring pins with a ring on, and then tightening the rope using a tugboat/lightermans hitch at the other end.

cant believe I left bowline off my list!! must be getting old!

I did hear a tale that it is illegal to use a hangman's noose if it had 13 turns in it. 12 OK, and 14 but 13 a big no no! Never to sure if that was true or not, but was taught to tie it in the Sea Scouts using only 10 turns!!

cant believe I left bowline off my list!! must be getting old!

I did hear a tale that it is illegal to use a hangman's noose if it had 13 turns in it. 12 OK, and 14 but 13 a big no no! Never to sure if that was true or not, but was taught to tie it in the Sea Scouts using only 10 turns!!

If properly tied in real hemp, (which I've never done, only for fun in modern rope) I understand it will pull tight but will not slip back undone, so needs to be cut off.

I'd ask Albert P. but I don't think he's a member on here!

If properly tied in real hemp, (which I've never done, only for fun in modern rope) I understand it will pull tight but will not slip back undone, so needs to be cut off.

I'd ask Albert P. but I don't think he's a member on here!

Not that he ever used that knot mind.

George ex nb Alton retired

Not that he ever used that knot mind.

The gallows noose cause strangulation. Hangmans noose helped break the neck.

Not sure what Albert P used.

Edited by mark99

I guessed that - just a throwaway line. I believe a hard splice was made at the end of the rope (brass I think).

Yes I have seen photos of it. It looked like the sort of hard spliced eye, complete with thimble, that you see in a wire rope.