Thoroughly Depressing Open Meeting

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Well of course it doesn't say that.

If I were a moderator, I might utilise my guru-like abilities to analyse the logs and work it out for myself. As I am not a moderator and don't wish to trouble them, I thought that asking nicely would be a way to proceed.

Your failure to answer the question speaks volumes though.

Surely though, the producer of 'astonishingly good web sites' would know how to mask their IP address? So troubling them would be pointless anyway, as the checks wouldn't flag the dual ID.

I beg your pardon, I've looked but I can't find the bit under your profile where it says "forum moderator". Please can you tell me where I'll find it?

ps at the risk of being ignored by The Dog House, it's CanalWorld

It's a discussion forum, questions get asked, and you've just been asked a question.

How about answering it?

Glad to hear it.

And I thought you a man of logic.

Answer 'no'; Ah he's lying

Answers 'yes' ; Ah, thought so

Answers not ; Ah, speaks volumes

I can see why the NHS systems are crashing down around our ears.

Clearly, logical thinking is beyond you.

Had you answered "no", I would have accepted it at face value. Of course, if subsequent events proved that to be a lie, much would be made of the lie,

It's a discussion forum, questions get asked, and you've just been asked a question.

How about answering it?

As happens, I tend to answer questions from those for whom I have respect.

Those for whom I have none, I wouldn't give them the correct time.

Clearly, logical thinking is beyond you.

Had you answered "no", I would have accepted it at face value. Of course, if subsequent events proved that to be a lie, much would be made of the lie,

Much? Much what? muckle? mirth? more blather?

I quiver in anticipation.

i refer you to my original comment on the assertion.

Wow it would be good if questions were answered on this or any forum. The other great thing about this and other forums is anonymity hence why people have a user name.

You mean you're not the resurrected ghost of Karl Marx, tramping the frozen Cotswold fields.

Disappointed of Marple here.

Edited by Alf Roberts

Wow it would be good if questions were answered on this or any forum. The other great thing about this and other forums is anonymity hence why people have a user name.

Anonymity is fine (if a little overplayed).

However, the right to be anonymous doesn't extend to a right to create a new ID and pretend to be somebody different to the person you were last month.

Which only really works if you are not exposed as being somebody else who previously used their (presumably real) name on the forum.

It would be like Alan Fincher stopping posting, then coming back under a pseudonym but posting in a very similar style and way and eventually somebody would twig it was the same person. Thus you are no longer anonymous.

Which only really works if you are not exposed as being somebody else who previously used their (presumably real) name on the forum.

It would be like Alan Fincher stopping posting, then coming back under a pseudonym but posting in a very similar style and way and eventually somebody would twig it was the same person. Thus you are no longer anonymous.

I am the real Alan Fincher !! smile.png

Ooops, just looked, no I'm not

That sounds a bit complicated to me. If you think Alf is someone else then so be it. As far as I am concerned I could not care less as I learned a long time ago this is not the real world.

That sounds a bit complicated to me. If you think Alf is someone else then so be it. As far as I am concerned I could not care less as I learned a long time ago this is not the real world.

its not that complicated John, surely?

You may not care however whilst I am not realy that bothered, but find it mildly amusing (if true) that somebody who use to mock and chastise people particularly when he felt people were telling lies or being dishonest or that he had in some way 'caught them out' (Chris did this to me more than once even though he was wrong) has possibly re emerged under a duplicate ID in a clear breach of the forum rules.

If it's true it stinks of hypocrisy.

But Chris Pink is a real person, that is his real name. I know him , not well, but he has been to my house a couple of times. I am also certain that he is the same person as Alf Roberts, and is really enjoying himself with all the speculation. More importantly, I am most impressed that he has manged to move his boat from Bristol to Marple in a day, perhaps he wants to be nearer Dave Mayall !!

Afternoon Chris!

Edited by David Schweizer

Ok. I may be naive but I enjoyed the Chilterns IWA meeting last night with Richard Parry. After his introductory talk, the question session did not degenerate into a "slanging match". Good for Chilterns IWA.

To be fair, at no point did the meeting that this thread started out as being about become a slanging match.

Yes, a couple of people got very fed up with where it was going, and one walked out of the meeting, but there was no "slanging", and I don't think I implied such. Without revisiting the whole thread, I can't remember anybody else doing so either.

To be honest in my experience BW / CRT do tend to temper heavily how they present to different audiences, so if the target audience is an IWA branch meeting, I would expect it fairly easy to do this in a way that pleased most of the audience, and didn't raise too much dissent. Although I have a lot of respect for Richard Parry, I think even he will follow an approach at any particular meeting that tries to get people thinking he is a good guy - why wouldn't he?

Without hearing what questions, opinions and attitudes come from a typical attendee of an IWA Chilterns Branch meeting, I can't possibly know if I would be able to support your "Good for Chilterns IWA" comment, or whether I would come away pretty upset, as I did from that Miton Keynes meeting.

It is dangerous to make sweeping generalisations like this, but some of the worst attitudes I have heard come from IWA members attending various meetings has come from those declaring themselves to be Chairman, Secretary or otherwise on the committee of a particular branch, (or even the national committee). Those who are just "rank and file" members often seem far more open to the idea that they are not the only "important" people on the cut.

I referred to a senior IWA person in my original post - someone who has openly expressed attitudes I think are despicable, but is an elected member of CRT council, who is supposed to be protecting the interest of all boaters, not just IWA members. Guess what - he wouldn't come and defend himself on an open forum, and instead contacted the forum owner asking that his name be removed from my posting.

Ok. I may be naive but I enjoyed the Chilterns IWA meeting last night with Richard Parry. After his introductory talk, the question session did not degenerate into a "slanging match". Good for Chilterns IWA.

A pity some from the IWA can't behave in such a way at other meetings. Edited by jenlyn

I tried to question the IWA leicester chairman on why nothing had happened in Leicester in 7 years and was gobbleydeygooked with nothingness

."We have tried to get better moorings at the Aldi in Aylestone" (NOW OPEN FOR 3 YEARS - NO MOORINGS)

"we have tried to improve the communications with the council, ...and the new MP IS a boater" (so freckin what!)

I came through Leicester the Tuesday after bank holiday in August.

In 11 hours from Thurmaston to Kilby Bridge cruising I saw 3 boats (I am not counting the burgerBarge that has been moored in city centre for 5 months plus) - one at Birstall, One above Kings Lock near the Soar Valley Way, and one by Blaby Bridge hat has been there or thereabouts for the last 6 years. I gad the Castle Garden mooring to myself.

The IWA are about as useful as the seeded Coir bank support sausages that CRT are implementing across the network. Look pretty for a short period, then hinder navigation.

But Chris Pink is a real person, that is his real name. I know him , not well, but he has been to my house a couple of times. I am also certain that he is the same person as Alf Roberts, and is really enjoying himself with all the speculation.

Afternoon Chris!

Did he bring EmmaB with himclapping.gif

Did he bring EmmaB with himclapping.gif

Oh, dear, dear, EmmaB. There has been no sign of the darling for ages and ages,,,,,,I think she must be trying to practice somewhere else.

edited so I don't lose my provisional fluffy bunnyness

Edited by John V

My feeling is that the London issue is based largely on enguagment as much at it is enforcement. Whilst we by nature of being active forum members are 'geeks' and are happy to sit and scrutinise every last drop of information and law from every conceivable angle, we are largely in the minority.

A lot of London boaters don't have a clue about the rules, their info comes from the bloke in the pub and the evening standard.

More effort needs to be done to engage London boaters on the issues that effect them and those who wish to visit London. It's too big to change from the outside so why not try and effect change from within?

A good start would be to take a more pastoral approach to start with. Yes we need enforcement teams but these guys should be kept separate to lenghts teams that could be more amenable and informative. Maybe this could be run by volunteers from within the community?

Regardless of what people think, there is a good collection of boaters in London that are boaters, want to protect the system and play fair. That's where I would start.

My feeling is that the London issue is based largely on enguagment as much at it is enforcement. Whilst we by nature of being active forum members are 'geeks' and are happy to sit and scrutinise every last drop of information and law from every conceivable angle, we are largely in the minority.

A lot of London boaters don't have a clue about the rules, their info comes from the bloke in the pub and the evening standard.

More effort needs to be done to engage London boaters on the issues that effect them and those who wish to visit London. It's too big to change from the outside so why not try and effect change from within?

A good start would be to take a more pastoral approach to start with. Yes we need enforcement teams but these guys should be kept separate to lenghts teams that could be more amenable and informative. Maybe this could be run by volunteers from within the community?

Regardless of what people think, there is a good collection of boaters in London that are boaters, want to protect the system and play fair. That's where I would start.

To give CRT their due, they have bent over backwards trying to work with London boaters. Sally Ash brought in Sorwar Ahmed as a liason officer. The guy has thrown his heart and soul into the job, arranging meetings, workshops etc. The problem is, for all the shouting and blab on facebook, no one turns up.

Jess good, mark Walton, Simon Robbins, Keith brown, mickaela, they have all worked to enlighten those within that community, but when that community hears something that does not fit in with their thoughts, they plead ignorance.

I've seen it first hand. I've watched some state "we need a meeting to sort this out", "we need to put proposals through to discuss with CRT". Come meeting date, "oh, I can't make tonight, let me know how it goes if anyone turns up".

It's always the same, a majority sounding off to cover their selfish ways, leaving a quiet minority to boat, but suffer the consequences of the majority's behaviour.

Edited by jenlyn
  • Greenie 2

I see that narrowboatworld has now published this document. Someone has gone through the document and changed most of the occurrences of CRT to CaRT. I wonder if anything else has been changed.

I see that narrowboatworld has now published this document. Someone has gone through the document and changed most of the occurrences of CRT to CaRT. I wonder if anything else has been changed.

The Editor of The Dark Side once stated:

"Though again it is denied, there have been instances where narrowboatworld has been omitted from the Press Release list, usually from a particular area office. This however defeats its object, as I get the releases second hand, and so can put my own interpretation on them rather that publishing word for word".

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/5206-commentconcerted-effort-against-us

Make of that what you will.

Edited by Ray T